Author Topic: Decline of site standard or personal Satisfaction or what ?  (Read 20513 times)

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Decline of site standard or personal Satisfaction or what ?
« on: April 21, 2014, 01:11:39 PM »
Anyone can explain me why people linking their pictures ?

Is it the "ego" I am the best or a kind of self promotion ?

Are those pictures through that also promoted on other sites ?

Does anyone really believe that other members don,t realize
that pictures are linked when seemingly standard pictures from the same serial getting 100,s of hits in the first 24 hrs.
Usually pics getting high hits when comments are done, or a high profile casualty is involved or special news involved etc etc
But simple pics of simple ships and a whole serial gets 100,s of hits with comments and/or speciality news/events absent.

Is this the wanted site standard for 100.s if not 1000,s of members ?
Come on guys,, I think the site and it's members can do better than that and more important deserve better than that !!!

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Decline of site standard or personal Satisfaction or what ?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 01:19:56 PM »
What do you mean by linking? Posting to other forums, Facebook etc. to get more hits?

When I add photographs to ShipSpotting.com, I usually cross-post them to the Finnish Maritime Forum, Facebook and perhaps even gCaptain if there is a relevant thread. I don't see anything wrong with that. As I publish my photographs under a free license (Creative Commons), posting the link to other forums spreads the awareness that such photographs are available for use in publications, websites etc. for free. Then, I get a warm and fuzzy feeling inside when companies such as Foreship use my photographs in their reference list. I admit I didn't get the same feeling from the Russia Today article where they used the same photograph, but it was still nice... ;)

As long as it's not outright spamming, there's nothing wrong in linking.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 01:32:08 PM by Tuomas Romu »

Offline jadran

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 11:46:59 AM »
Come on guys,, I think the site and it's members can do better than that and more important deserve better than that !!!

I duly agree with you Captain Ted, and fully support your view and attitude on this issue !

Therefore I contribute to this subject as follows hereunder.

------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2019500

I have started the thread on this Photo page of MEIN SCHIFF 3 with my first comment, therefore feel free, to herewith conclude it as follows.

I  recognize the amazing, possibly it's the greatest of all ever, success made by this photo i.e. within only 24 hours (exactly 24 hrs) it gained the extreme 2,888 views.
Moreover, within only 24 hours it achieved, simultaneously, its indeed admirable positions :
- displayed as TOP1 photo of the posted photos within 24 hours;
- displayed as TOP1 photo of all the posted photos within 48 hours;
- displayed as TOP1 photo of all the posted photos within 7 days;
- displayed as TOP1 photo of all the posted photos within 30 days;
- on 14th position of all the posted photos within 180 days  i.e. out of total 110,405 posted photos in that period;

I know that many people will be happy with this outstanding success and achieved results of the MEIN SCHIFF 3 subject photo (regarding the gained number of views + the top positions of that particular photo on this website),,  but I shall not be happy at all ..... because of the modality applied, to achieve that success, which can not be justified in this case or any other case that may occur !!!
I truly hope similar "events" will not occur further on ....... please !

Respectfully submitted,
Jadran

... got married to ships

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 06:04:37 PM »
Couple of thousand of views in 24 hours is nothing in today's world where a kitten video in YouTube can fetch tens of thousands of hits every hour if it goes viral. Since Mein Shiff 3 is one of the few "new" cruise ships due to be delivered this spring, I wouldn't be surprised if the photographs were linked to a number of blogs, cruise ship enthusiastic websites, forums and so on. It's not as if it will remain popular forever - new ships will eventually (like tomorrow) take its place.

Anyway, for some reason I don't understand this "Your pics don't deserve that many hits!" mentality...

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 06:13:23 PM »
Agree. I dont understand what the hit-fuzz is about, and i refuse to back down on my philosophy: Quality, not quantity, if you do your best with a photo and can stand for it, so what if it gets 30 or 3000?

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 06:43:19 PM »
suggest then we should link all pictures automatic then ?

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 06:45:27 PM »
suggest then we should link all pictures automatic then ?

Where?

I mean, if there's a place where your pictures are relevant and bring additional interesting content, then why shouldn't you link them there. The site provides a functionality for that and it's not forbidden.

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 07:00:09 PM »
I can understand all views there.

Of course it is a bit "iffy" if photos get so many clicks here without a single comment and it is questionable, why.

I understand very well the point of view made by Theo here, and I agree with him. Though, I must say, it MAY be that photos are linked from outside sources.

I think, this "top views" category does not fit anymore into nowadays time, when so many blogs, etc. are around, where only is seen, what gets most links, and many other good photos are not seen. I have been complaining about that myself in the past, because it does not feel right, if you have taken many good photos, and it feels they are not seen.

On the other hand I do not feel comfortable with the case, like now, that I did not find Ships name and IMO-Number and some member helped me and the ship and photos (both are not anything special!!!) ending up on the top.

Perhaps, it is better to simply get rid of Top views Category but simply show every uploaded photo a certain time in the top list ? I think, this would also be good against the "bad feelings" that some people have about this.

Greetings,

Cornelia

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 07:32:32 PM »
Maybe our dear Webmaster Ken, should just cut the number of hits being visible to anyone to just being visible to the author of the photo, letting him alone eating his pride & not infect others with jealousy of "my photo from a year ago has only some 100 hits :(" ?  Similar to how the access to "Photos considered for deletion" was closed to members.
Face it, when you look for photos you look on photo first, not hits. Basically, hits are unnecessary to tell you anything if you found someone's photo being commonly interesting anyway. So well, if there are no hits visible to anyone, then you don't need the Top 3 daily/weekly/monthly/yearly. Yes, the "sport" side disappears as well as the static feel of the site where you used to only be jealous of Top 3, browse through the recent uploads, or well, search for some particular ship.  Could have instead made 3 random photos every time the page is refreshed - the kind of feature I asked long ago but, alas, nothing yet. Yeah, I miss that "Las Vegas feeling" when I was refreshing the home page over & over until some interesting photo from the depths appears, not bothering about Most Popular photos much since it's all the same either scrap or accident or kind of photos you usually can find on Flickr or anywhere else.

Done!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:24:07 PM by Dеnis »
Regards,
Denis

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 08:20:42 PM »
@ Denis
good idea,,get rid of the top three,,which seems to some the whole topic to be there
as often as possible.
and the random placing there for 2-3 hrs a day from the last 24 hrs that would spread the
visibility to at least 36-48 pictures a day more or less openly visible

@ Cornelia
agree more or less with your views too

@ Tuomas
All over the net, basically everywhere. But what I don,t see and don,t like
because I or also someone else linking my picture to any web site ,why the hits on the picture on that web site should be counted as hits here ?

Ideal then would may be, that if a picture is linked, that the hit count is blocked
on this site. !! ??

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 08:43:56 PM »
Based on Cornelia's suggestion - how about having on Home Page like 3 random photos from last 24h/week/month/year for either each one hour or for each page refresh? That would give a lot of people to be fairly in the spotlight. With the rate of recent uploads nowadays when it's like 4-5 pages with 192 photos on each for the last 24h, I think such feature would be very good - not everyone has the passion/willpower to sit & scroll till the photo he saw last on his previous visit. When someone arrives here, he only sees Top 3, 1 random photo + 1 recent photo - nothing much, pretty shy for the site with over 1.6 mil pics so far.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:30:47 PM by Dеnis »
Regards,
Denis

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 10:51:58 PM »
hi ken

good point with suddenly crappy pics on top,,which the owners of the site
surely would not like

of course the other option is to eliminate the linking, and problem is gone for good or
no idea if outside linking could be blocked,,people still could possibly via link view the picture,but not counted as hit ?

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 12:11:07 AM »
Much ado about...maybe not "nothing", but very small issue, IMHO.

We need to accept that the community interested in the photos posted on this site is much larger than the number of members of the site itself - and this interest can bring profits to the site, allowing it to thrive for the benefit of all, even the "purists". :)

Some of my photos that I have uploaded here and consider to be "my best" have less than 100 views.

And my worst photo, hands down, that was accepted here has 27.000+ views. :)

Offline Bill Godfrey

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 05:06:05 AM »
The counting of views of photos by the Shipspotting web server is something that is done by software. If the Shipspotting web server is typical of most, its software can easily determine where the link was located that led to the view about to be counted. There is more information about that feature of web servers at this Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_referer

in case anyone wants to read more about it.

If someone clicks on a link to a photo from within Shipspotting, the part of the server that counts views can distinguish that view from one that came from clicking on a link outside of Shipspotting.

You can probably see where I'm going with this. The counting of views could be restricted to views from the links within Shipspotting itself, if the web server software can be changed to impose that restriction.

I'm neither for nor against doing it, and I don't know how much web server expertise is available to those who maintain Shipspotting, but I thought I'd mention that it might be an option to consider.

Regards,

Bill

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 06:24:16 AM »
Hello Folks,

just some more thoughts:

The fact that it might not be good, to see three "crappy" photos on top sounds not very pleasant, but there are ways to go around:

- Upload no crappy photos. The site Standards here are very good, so there should not be much danger

- Show on top three always the last uploaded three photos - for lets say 5 minutes. That way, there would be alot of Change, and every photo on a day gets shown for 5 minutes.

It would not disturb any of the outside sources, because shipping companies etc. are anyways not checking the top three, but they are searching for their ships and linking/asking to use the photo.

I do favour this idea because if only clicks on this site here are counted for top three, I know what will happen: Trouble again, because some members are more popular than others, and getting more clicks, because they have friends who comment on their photos and bring them up to the top etc.... I see that coming.

regards,

Cornelia

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk