Author Topic: Cargo Residue,s and how to handle them  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Cargo Residue,s and how to handle them
« on: April 05, 2014, 02:53:32 PM »
Below is very interesting. The biggest problem would be the alternative, for example to land the cargo residues. This is usually at an substantial cost, which most ports ignore. They don,t want it dumped and either don,t offer such service or if so, at costs which are prohibitive.
Similar with Garbage residues. Incinerator ashes are in most ports not permitted to land
or plastics contaminated with foods (packed meats are automatic like that) One is not allowed to land it and not allowed to burn it within a certain range of ports.
As long there are no clear guidelines, internationally and followed by ports then how ships can make landings which are acceptable.

Victoria's environment watchdog has been urged to investigate allegations an international container ship dumped coal residue into
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Peter Grunberg

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Re: Cargo Residue,s and how to handle them
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 12:00:53 PM »
From what I can gather the vessel did all her cleaning 500 miles away before entering port limits and only had her hatches open to aerate.

And I guess the the fact that the Handymax was reported as a container ship is the standard sort of misreporting common within the industry.

On still clear days like we have had a little bit of smoke going straight up and adding could have come from any ship at anchor and the local authority would struggle to find someone who knew the difference between coal dust and blue algae !!!!

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Cargo Residue,s and how to handle them
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 01:27:37 PM »
@ Peter
The standard procedure nowadays,,finger pointing to ships !!!.. I make since years pictures of dirt in ports,, like plastic/waste/dead animals etc etc
one day I will publish them. But it is much easier to point fingers to a foreign ship then to point to the own population to keep the country clean or "god beware" require that from tourists,, much more easier: bad bad sailors,, no lobby and no help
and put one to jail for a while for a enviromental misshap is the best for authorities to show how tough they are on enviromental regulations,, only not for themselves !!
For example,,the houston Ship channel is called for a reason the Houston SHIT Channel or
the Ghent canal,, once you are alongside,,within hrs the space between pier and ship is full plastic and whatever,,but that,s normal,,then moment a sailor throws a cigarette butt into the water,,the authorities getting active !!!!
A joke all over the world by now

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk