Author Topic: What next?  (Read 11265 times)

Offline Sascha Heuer

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihmo-media.com
What next?
« on: March 24, 2014, 01:15:33 PM »
Three simple questions :-)

Is it planned in the future to make the photo upload more comfortable?

Why Advertising is played even when logged in members? If you make multiple uploads, the same promotional video (for example) is constantly reloaded?

Is there any plans for the functionality of shipspotting.com in the future?

Thank you for answering.
brgds
Sascha Heuer

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What next?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 02:45:38 PM »
Hello Sascha,

I do not encounter any problems with ads of any kind, because I am browsing with Mozilla Firefox and am using the Add "Adblock Plus 2.5.1" which is 100% effective.

I do not know how this is on any other browsers, however I would be surprised, if they do not have the suitable add-ons for such purpose.

Hopefully this info does help you,

regards from Drochtersen,

Cornelia

Offline Sascha Heuer

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 05:50:46 PM »
Thanks for your answers!

The point is , I do not think it is right that the members must take care to suppress the advertising. I know how that goes. Some websites prohibit an adblocker . Why the advertising is displayed at all for members? Was not there years ago for members specially the function of advertising oppression?Anyway , if everyone has an adblocker and this is also recommended here, why ever advertising for members?

The problem with the uploads: The upload function is unchanged for a long time . It would be nice if something would change. If you have finally entered all necessary data (which you have to look for it ) and loads the photo up , you have to do this again for the next photo. Previously, you could still take the browser back button and the data were still there , this function is no longer available. The photo upload process at shipspotting.com is very lengthy compared to other websites. Many users upload a series of photos and several photos of the same ship . I think some here would be happy if this would be simplified. Uploader plugin from several years ago ?

I do not want to complain , but I think a little criticism and suggestions always makes sense . :-)

Brgds

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 06:07:03 PM »
Using back button still works for me on IE.

Offline Sascha Heuer

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 07:17:45 PM »
For me it works with Chrome and IE but not Opera (preferred browser). In the past this was not a problem. I know from conversations that this problem exists even in Safari (Mac).

Also the selection of the captured date does not work under Opera.

OK, here it is a technical problem. Is it possible that the technician could take care of it?

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 09:00:11 AM »
Using safari on mac with adblock, keine problemen.
Tomas

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 09:18:46 AM »
Well said Ken. As you say, running any website costs money and what we have here is probably the best shipping enthusiasts website on the net - for free!

Yes, there will be some small technical glitches which members can work around without any difficulty. This isn't Facebook or Flickr where there are hundreds of people working full-time to fix any bugs. I certainly have no problem with the photo upload procedure nor does it seem do most other members.

Brgds
Phil

Offline Fergal Clohessy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 10:51:03 AM »
what I dont understand is.. if it costs money to run the website, why do the admins actively support using ad blocking? its a little bit ironic

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 11:07:42 AM »
WOW
this whole discussion is mute,, as stated the whole thing is for free !!!!
and how goes the saying " there is no such thing as a free lunch"
I am just fine the way it works and mainly I work on 3G with a usb stick or any other mobile device where uploading one picture in 2-3 minutes is sometimes TOP-SPEED, if it does
not knock you out here and there.
don,t expect always top notch on everything, perhaps someone should invent a automatic uploader which also researches automatic the ships data,s and verifies it online instead of going through the hassle of doing it personally

brgds
capt ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Sascha Heuer

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 02:46:29 PM »
Thank you for the many responses .

Because apparently all functions are available at the most, I 'll take care of appropriate settings on my browser itself .

A word about advertising : Apparently you can not address this point without equal to the displeasure of many other up. I have nothing against advertising, it is necessary in certain circumstances.
But : Is it absolutely necessary 20 times the same video to see if you upload photos? Advertising can also be subtle and then I do not mind . I now know the new Audi A8 better than anyone else :-)
Of course, the site is free , but you should consider who gets the site alive ... without user no content also . I am thinking there may be other solutions to members ... without a subscription .I may as a longtime user criticize something in rare cases. Is it ok , right?

I also find further , that could be better the upload function , but I can certainly accept the fact that no investment would be made here . I can always just a box with Copy & Paste reproduce as an example.

But I want no quarrel here . These are my views and not everyone needs to be in my opinion .

My questions have been answered .
Thanks for the help and commitment .

Best regards
Sascha

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 07:40:47 PM »
A batch uploader would be nice like the one we had back when this website was working together with LRF:-)

Cheers,
Jens

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 08:00:32 PM »
Thanks, Ken.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk