Author Topic: Hamburg Sud new ships at Tilbury:  (Read 5055 times)

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
Hamburg Sud new ships at Tilbury:
« on: March 23, 2014, 08:32:29 AM »
Thames shipspotters will have noticed that Hamburg Sud have sent one of their new large Cap San class of 9,600 TEU vessels into Tilbury - with apparently another 3 to follow, before they do a switch to London Gateway.

I've been fascinated to watch the dockers talking about this topic, and you can find a lot of recent comments on a blog run by some Felixstowe dockworkers: http://felixstowedocker.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/new-hamburg-ships-to-big-for-tilbury.html#comment-form - it gives an interesting view from the sharp end of the port industry.

I've used a couple of photos of the first of the new ships, Cap San Lorenzo, from John White in the latest Shipping TV video on the topic, too - its on the video page.

Interestingly, although the dockers from Tilbury are naturally pleased to have handled this large, 19 rows wide vessel, it has been very clear to see that she was drawing at least a couple of metres less than her fully loaded draft aft. Is this a condition she has to be in to sail up the Thames to Tilbury?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 11:57:02 AM by chrisg46 »
Chris
I'm a working shipping journo, and run a website called ShippingTV . . .
http://www.shippingtv.co.uk

Offline DAVE NINNIM

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
Re: Hamburg Sud new ships at Tilbury:
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 11:00:29 AM »
Interesting, I fully understand people justifying their position but you can't ignore the draft issue. That ship would not visit if it was up on it's draft, period. And I cannot see anyone investing in a dredge operation to make 14m+ through to Tilbury.

Offline Neil D

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 04:32:13 PM »
Interesting to see these very large ships calling at Tilbury, albeit only for a few calls before moving down river. Tilbury's riverside berths have a minimum depth of 13.7 metres and cranes with a max outreach of 18 boxes.

Diver Shoal in the river channel off Gravesend though is the key restriction, with just 8-9 metres at low water. Of course you can add 5-6 metres tide to this but using London Gateway allows a longer access window and more flexibility in arrival and departure times.

Also the vessels can be loaded down to their marks if required (although with multi-port calling in Northern Europe the actual draft per port call depends where the vessel is in the port rotation).

It seems clear that Tilbury will concentrate mainly on short sea and feeder business going forwards.

Offline palbertini

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 05:34:42 PM »
Another problem is vessel length. How do you get two ships of this size alongside at Northfleet Hope simultaneously?

The advertised quay length of the riverside berths is 600m. The "Cap San" class are 333m long, quite apart from vessel spacing clearances.

Could you (for example) berth a Cap San vessel and one of the Maersk ships used on the East Coast South America trade (length 300m) at the same time?

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 08:59:55 PM »
The cranes had finished work on the Cap San Lorenzo at about 1330 hrs on Saturday but she did not depart until about 1630 hrs.  High water was at 1632 hrs on Saturday so I assume that, despite loading/unloading operations being completed, she had to wait for the tide. 

Offline Geoffrey Watson

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • http://-
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 08:21:35 AM »
Just because the ship completed cargo at 1330 does not mean she can sail "just like that". Tugs and pilot had to be pre-ordered. For the pilot at least 4 hours notice is required. As it happens the pilot was on board before scheduled time and the tugs were available, so the ship was able to leave the berth half an hour early.
[color=000033]Geoff. Watson[/color]

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 09:56:48 AM »
Thank you for the background on a vessels departure. Having spent 42 years in the shipping industry I am well aware of procedures.

Given that the preceding posts were relating to depth of water, the vessels draft, etc. I thought I would add my observations on the time between completion of loading and high water.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk