Author Topic: Frieghter models of the sixties era  (Read 19300 times)

Offline searcher99

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Frieghter models of the sixties era
« on: March 19, 2014, 03:14:03 PM »
Hi members,
My name is Patrick and I just found and joined this ship enthusiastic website.  I grow up in Hong kong in the sixties and I am always intrigued by the freighters loading and unloading in the harbour.  I remembered spending hours in front of display windows of the shipping companies staring at the freighter's models and it is my dream to own a model of the freighters since then. I have been living in Canada since I am a teenager and have missed the smell of sea water. Since my job has nothing to do with ships, but model ships building has become one of my hobbies.  I have built the Cutty Sark, the HMS Victory from kits, and I have bought the "Sovereign of the Seas" by Sergal.  Since there is no freighter ship model kits available, I am thinking of fulfilling my dream and buy an old model.  However, I cannot pay the thousands of dollars to commission someone to build one for me.  Does anyone has a detailed model of a freighter of the sixties that plan on selling at a reasonable price?  I have no experience in scratch building models, but with a very detailed set of plan, I may be able to give it a try as well. I have attached a picture of a freighter model from Maritime Replicas and I have also included a link of the freighters I am referring to as follows:
https://picasaweb.google.com/103692380584041990607/ModelShipSsArgyllshireScale1178?feat=email#

Thank you for reading my lengthy message
Patrick

Offline Jon Godsell

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Frieghter models of the sixties era
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 07:59:18 PM »
Patrick,

Before building a model of your favourite ship you really need to learn to walk before you start running so to speak. To do that I suggest that you start out with kit models of the type you want to build. After you have gained some experience of the techniques required you can make a start on your scratch build.

If you want some help I suggest that you join forums such as modelboatmayhem

Jon.

Offline Wayne Connolly

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 11:39:21 PM »

Patrick,

A site I find very good, with good prices, a good selection and very help full is Total Navy.com, based in New York. I have purchased from them many times and have never had any problems. Don't let the name fool you, they have much more than just navy ship models.

Good Luck and all the best,

Wayne Connolly

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 10:47:40 AM »
Patrick,

please take a look at your message messagebox in the website?
send you a message.

Offline seaway7228

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 01:48:33 PM »
Patrick,

The person that runs the company that built the model of the Argyleshire was also in HK at some stage. There was a model maker here based at Aberdeen some years back and also made some very very nice models for various ship operators and others. They were constructed in batches and the agreement was that he couldnt sell them to outsiders.

The models of Maritime replicas are I believe made in China or at least Asia.

If you want to get some first class minatures at about 1:1250 scale the German Company Carat make beautiful models. Someone told me they are made in the Philippines however thats an aside.

I was not prepared to pay for these exquisite larger models but had already started on a merchant vessel I sailed on, many years ago, as an apprentice. The actual vessel is lying on the seabed north of spain in the Bay of Biscay, but my model is shelved here I purchased the plans from a museum in the UK. Then started constructing it on a plank on frame basis and you will find that whilst it can be time consuming and fiddly, the finished product self made is a very satisfactory outcome. Realistically I am not a very precise engineering type guy but use anything that looks to fit around the hull. I have considered using paper or papier mache but somehow it doesnt seem quite right.

I use Base wood as it is easy to work with and doesnt crumble like balsa can if you arent careful. Also I work at 1:200 scale as my place in HK is small and there isnt a great deal of room. I find the scale ok, but had I had a large residence I would have worked at 1:100 which is about the scale you are looking at in the Agents windows. I also use plastics made in the US for modeling and for rigging I have begun to use silk suture thread which I got from my dentist. Filler is also a very useful component. The hulls on my latest I cover with extremely fine fibreglass mesh and resin. That gives the hull solidity and it can then be finalised. Actually getting the hull just right is for me the longest and most exacting part of the construction.. Its certainly worth a try. I have to say also, my hands are not very large and I suspect thats a help at the scale I use.

I also built the Rockhampton Star (not finished) and am currently working on the Port Nelson as a friend of mine was cadet on that in the 60s.

Cheers G

Offline Juha Luukka

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 07:48:41 AM »
Hi there,

I just got my model 1/200 built in Saigon - for 260usd. Hull is very good work as is paint work. For someone not a seaman the rig will do also - I'm planning to adjust the rig and some of the deck machinery, like winches.
Actually the deal called for taking two models so I'm going back to Saigon to pick up the sistership soon.
See attached picture of Finnsailor.

BR

Juha Erik
Ventis Secundis

Offline seaway7228

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 01:46:01 PM »
Hi Patrick.

My plans are of the follwoing

1. Baron Maclay / Baron Wemyss
2. Rockhampton Star
3. Orion
4. Port Nelson.

None of these vessels were HK vessels they were all on the Australia NZ UK runs

Ships most prolific in the 60s would have been Blue Funnel lines, Ben Lines, P&O, Probably APL, ( CNC (Swires) China Navigation)would have been prolific and as they are one of the few shipping companies still in operation and in HK they probably have retained all their plans as archives. You could also approach the HK Maritime Museum now in Central

It takes me about two to three years to make these models as I am currently still employed although now 65. The pleasure I get is enormous although they are no Argylshires by any stretch of the imagination but have a used look and are a bit like a vessel is when it is due to be scrapped...

Most ships you need to take a look back at their history and establish where they were built. Then approach local museums. The costs vary and can be anywhere between 200 USD and 500 USD depending on what you finally choose but I find the more plans I have the easier it is to construct/ Making the hull takes ages and lots of filler over the plank and fram. Getting the hull form right is exacting to say the least.

Patience is the essence. whereas I have no patience generally  >:( When it comes to modeling I have it.  :)

Regards greg

Offline Nico Ros

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 03:30:49 PM »
Patrick,
Noted you found my Picasa book.
I have my models built in a Foshan workshop.
Argyllshire is a little small sized, but yet well done.
The Shell tankers (K and H series) are 1:125 and the United Fruitco ships 1:100. The ss Rotterdam 1:200
I have them made in small series (max. 15 pcs) but still these models do not come cheaply.

https://picasaweb.google.com/103692380584041990607/SsYaqueClassBananaBoatScale1100New?noredirect=1

https://picasaweb.google.com/103692380584041990607/KTypeShellTankerScale1125New?noredirect=1

https://picasaweb.google.com/103692380584041990607/ModelShipSsRotterdamScale1200New?noredirect=1

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk