Author Topic: MV TOWARD - Glenlight Shipping - Photo Request  (Read 3031 times)

DanEarl

MV TOWARD - Glenlight Shipping - Photo Request
« on: March 07, 2014, 09:42:17 PM »
Hello All,

I am trying to find a photograph of the cargo vessel TOWARD of Glenlight Shipping (Scotland) for a friend.

The information I have been given is he served onboard her around 1978/79 possibly a little earlier.

She was owned or possibly chartered by Glenlight Shipping of which I believe was based in Ayr, Scotland.

The vessel had a riveted hull, two hatches with aft wheelhouse, approx 1500 - 2000 GRT and possibly built by Fergusons (Glasgow) on the Clyde.

If any one has any further information and most importantly a photo or even a link to a photo this would be very much appreciated.

A bit of a long shot maybe but thought it was worth asking....

Many thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Dan.

Offline Rexroth

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Re: MV TOWARD - Glenlight Shipping - Photo Request
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 11:53:46 PM »
Glenlight Shipping - based in Ayr??!! I think not. One of the most famous Glasgow shipping companies.

The TOWARD was built by James Lamont & Co at Port Glasgow as TOLSTA for Christian Salvesen.  She was launched on 15th December 1959 and delivered in February 1960.  In 1971 she was sold to James Stewart and renamed YEWGLEN. In May 1974 she was sold to S William Coe. She was to be renamed REDTHORN and this name was painted on her but she was never registered as REDTHORN and was offered for re-sale. In November 1974 she was bought by the Clyde Shipping Company, renamed TOWARD, and chartered to its subsidiary Glenlight Shipping. In August 1976 she was bought by Panamanian flag operators and renamed MARY D and two years later became CARIGULF EXPRESS still under the Panamanian flag. She was scrapped at Brownsville, Texas, in late 1984.

DanEarl

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 06:52:17 AM »
Many thanks Rexroth for your information, it is a great help and gives me a lot to work on to try to find a photo of the TOWARD.

Cheers, Dan.

Offline Mike Nash

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 08:43:05 AM »
Hi Dan,

Just put one on for you http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1991263

Regards,
         Mike

DanEarl

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 09:18:06 AM »
Cheers Mike,

You are a star !

I am sure my friend will be very happy to see this, it is one of the ships he sailed on that he doesn't have a photo of.

Many thanks,

Cheers, Dan.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk