Author Topic: SVENDBORG MAERSK  (Read 15053 times)

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: SVENDBORG MAERSK
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 05:39:52 PM »
Sarcastic
Lets jail the master !!!
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Michael

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 08:24:27 PM »
I had a good look at what was berthed either side of my crane today and both had lashing bridges that will secure to the base of the four high box, both vessels had traditional structures that should clear a seven high stack but would nominally stack six high.

The photos are interesting, some of those stacks are eight high and seem to have survived, the damaged ones could have been nine highs, I'm fairly confident when she left here that there were nine high stacks as my colleague and I commented on "there goes another Maersk mega stack of lego" sadly I didn't have my camera with me.

Quite a few classes of Maersk vessels have had accommodation extensions and were seeing them almost daily now. I asked one quay manager how high can they stack above the lashing bridge, the answer is scary, as high as we can get so long as the total column weight does not exceed 150t, in reality with tides and cranes that's nine high but I understand the Triple E will take ten high, though the Triple E has a three high lashing bridge which will secure to the base of a five high box.

I retract my comment about Svendborg Maersk, she does have a two high lashing bridge, however Maersk Stepnica did not.

Offline Homer

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Ships
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 09:13:19 AM »
It's interesting to note that the boxes from Svendborg were empty - wouldn't loaded boxes be even more likely to go over in similar conditions?

Hi,

yes, definitely. And probably earlier. But normaly the cargo securing manual limits the height of laden containers anyhow. One of the factors is the allowed stackweight of hatchcovers and the allowed stackweight of the container itself

Brgds
Henning

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »
According to an article (Daily Mail 24.02.14) one of the containers lost overboard from Svendborg Maersk has come ashore at Seaton in Devon. Apparently the container was loaded with 14 tonnes of cigarettes.  More containers are expected to come ashore in coming days.

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 02:31:03 PM »
Courtesy of Loadstar:

Maersk Line has been ordered by the French authorities to draw up a map to indicate the seabed location of more than 500 containers that were washed off the deck of one of its containerships in a severe storm in the Bay of Biscay in February.

The 8,160teu Svendborg Maersk got caught in an incessant onslaught of 60 knot winds and 10-metre waves leading to a collapse of container stacks midships and the spewing of 517 containers into the raging seas on February 14.

Maersk says it is fully co-operating with the request, which the French maritime affairs office said was to

Offline Brett Moore

• Just can't stay away
  • Duncan Dock, Table Bay Harbour, Cape Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 03:41:58 PM »
I have read about +/- 10,000 containers going overboard every year. I assume these figures are released (on request ?) via insurers, definitely not the carriers.... These would also assumingly be full as empties would not be declared. As empties are usually stowed on deck on the top tiers, could we double this figure ? Also, those that aren't insured would probably not be included ? Anybody care to guesstimate a more realistic figure ? The negative impact on the environment is atrocious. I firmly believe the carriers are directly responsible for the safe securing of deck cargoes in all weather conditions. The carriers should be severely punished.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk