Author Topic: FOREIGN FISHING ON GRAND BANKS  (Read 9873 times)

Offline snocky

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
FOREIGN FISHING ON GRAND BANKS
« on: February 13, 2014, 01:27:52 PM »
Can anyone out there explain why 4 FAROESE draggers are fishing at close proximity to one another around flemish cap on grand banks & canadian draggers are not allowed to fish there. Is this an accurate statement by me or am i out to lunch. These 4 can & will destroy an awful lot of habitat & scoop whatever comes their way. I presume they are after turbot, red fish or other species.What a disaster in my opinion. These are only the ones i see so how many others of these "DESTROYERS" are around here now cleaning ,er up. Very sad when our govt,s have to let all these foreign "DESTROYERS" take all the species we have & literally tell us to stay home & vote for us. We,ll take care of you, don,t worry. Sickening . "SNOCKY"

Offline newfie24

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
Re: FOREIGN FISHING ON GRAND BANKS
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 08:25:42 PM »
i agree 100% and you are totally right about foreign fishing.in that area their are 5 faroese trawlers
ran TG752
vesturleiki
phoenix
sjagakelttur
brestir
and the Portugese trawler lutador in the same area and the Norwegian longliner Froyanes is all in the same area not counting what else is there under the radar catching everything under the sun, they might be going after cod NAFO cod quota is set at 14521 metric tons for this year which canadas quota is  116 ton out of that what a joke

Offline Mad Scientist

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 08:41:28 PM »
The Flemish Cap isn't part of the Grand Banks, and is outside of the Canadian Exclusive Economic Zone. It is under the jurisdiction of the North Atlantic Fisheries Organization.
During my Canadian Navy career, I was aboard several fisheries patrol missions. Canadian fisheries inspectors boarded vessels on the Flemish Cap - apparently Canada has an agreement with NAFO for this. We flew special NAFO pennants when we were on the Flemish Cap.

Offline snocky

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 09:41:10 PM »
NAFO in my opinion is nothing but a big joke. These "DRAGGERS" by the way are not trawlers. Trawlers trawl but draggers drag. I don,t care who was or goes out there these foreigners do enter canadian waters & do drag millions of so called canadian fish. I also don,t care if any one was in navy or any other naval related service i to spent a bit of time running freighters & over time have been in wheelhouse & not once but hundred of times have watched them haul everything from cod, capelin,redfish, turbot & anything they wanted to get in thousands of tons aboard these ships & are still doing it today inside & outside. Nobody gives a damn anymore & never did. It just makes me sick to see it with all the fishermen on this island being in so many words told "GO TO ALBERTA BOY". "SNOCKY"

Offline Paul Bradshaw

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 03:42:59 AM »
Is the cap part of the banks? Is the cap inside the limit?

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 09:28:52 AM »
snocky

When you are so upset about it, then I suggest, with all due respect,  to contact your Canadian representative about it and bring your view to his attention and not rant pointless at fishers who by agreement can be there and seemingly fish the way they do.
If it is good or bad, that,s a matter to discuss perhaps, but perhaps not so much here then within your government who voted for the international agreement.
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 07:43:47 PM »
And what are they to do when their is no cooperation from the International fishing fleets and Nafta!!

snocky

When you are so upset about it, then I suggest, with all due respect,  to contact your Canadian representative about it and bring your view to his attention and not rant pointless at fishers who by agreement can be there and seemingly fish the way they do.
If it is good or bad, that,s a matter to discuss perhaps, but perhaps not so much here then within your government who voted for the international agreement.
[color=0066FF]Jarrod David[/color][/b]

Offline snocky

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 08:58:53 PM »
Jarrod, you are so correct. It is so easy for people to come on this site & comment on this with absolutely no knowledge of the history of this & the pain & anguish suffered by especially the fishermen & women of nfld.& lab. You have no idea whatsoever what has been done to the fishery of this little province & the devastation to outport families because of mostly overfishing ( & may i say illegal in most cases) by foreign countries. May i suggest to catch up on the years of history of this province,s feuding with the politicians in ottawa who have traded our fish & our rights for the benefit of other provinces to gain markets for there products in europe & elswhere. I rest my rant . "SNOCKY".

Offline Jens Heri

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 09:16:44 PM »
Some Faroese trawlers were also on that location last year together with Faroese longliners.
I think the intention was at first only to send Faroese longliners, but since there is nearly no fish left in Faroese waters (except pelagic) some trawlers were also allowed.
The Ran acts as a mothership with is freezing capacity.

Offline Paul Bradshaw

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 03:27:04 AM »
Is the cap part of the banks, yes nose and tail. Is it in the 200 mile limit, no it is NAFO jurisdiction. Can Canada unilaterally enforce restrictions on the cap? I don't think so. Is the current Canadian Government responsibly managing Nfld & Labradors interests? The current Government is managing its own interests with a view on staying in power. If we survive this term I think we will have more re-building than may have been imagined. I guess Danny was right!

Offline snocky

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 11:36:07 AM »
Paul, cap is approx. 150 miles outside but draws an awful of fish from inside grand banks because of its warm current. "SNOCKY"

Offline Paul Bradshaw

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 11:09:26 PM »
Hello Snocky, yes I've been to the cap.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk