Author Topic: Loosing focus ?, Shipspotting or post anything from anywhere  (Read 26792 times)

Offline Timsen

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Loosing focus ?, Shipspotting or post anything from anywhere
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2013, 08:43:22 AM »
I think I also got what Peter meent - don't take all this stuff too serious, don't get bloody fingers by uploading photo heaps no one will ever have the time to watch to get the "likes", keep cool. And don't take yourself too serious as photographer. That's the message, and it seems to be the same with photo sites everywhere, there are guys with cameras like guns, taking photos and photos and photos, and wishing to be loved for that...And in this regard, for me it is indeed all the same, who took a photo, is it "pure" without "disturbing" other stuff on the pic, is it historic and where does it come from, the main thing is, is it interesting as a photo.

Offline victor radio74

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2013, 10:00:53 AM »
I wish to give my opinion,only for statiscals purposes.
For me the great value of Shipspotting.com,the ideal aim,is a "wiki" of ships,so that you could find any single ship in history.
Let me say that 300 hundred pics of Noah
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 10:00:43 PM by victor radio74 »

Offline Andreas Schlatterer

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2013, 11:12:29 AM »
Hello guys

Please do not loose the focus - This is shipspotting that means in my opinion take pics of ships, load this one on this website and be happy if other people like it. But that means for me pics that I make myself and didn
Capesize

Offline ianwatson

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2014, 03:37:32 PM »
Good for you I say,
Got anymore of the mv Beijerland, I worked for he agents 1969-1971
great old vessel, called at Goole and Grimsby from Rotterdam and Harlingen :)

Offline Dave Forbes

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 12:05:20 PM »
Although some of the older B&W ships photos are interesting indeed but how do the posters know that their posts are 'copywrite expired' and just posting willy-nilly. Wasn't the whole idea of Shipspotting was to 'spot' a vessel and take a picture then post it on the site as your own copywritten work. You could , with express permission from the photographer (ie a family member) , submit an image , as long as you accredit it to the photographer but somehow , I don't think this happening. Are members passing some images as their own work? and how can you prove or disprove it?

Offline Brent

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2014, 06:34:38 AM »
Just looking at CapnTed's top shots of MSC Santhya floating on something other than water highlights what the site is all about, great ship photoes. My thoughts are that the poster should be the photographer or authorised such as Charlie Hill/PWR and presume Chris Howell/Trevor Jones a similar relationship. But I really enjoy the archive pics such as those from Paul Wille/Walter Frost, I can see many contributors to this columns point but wouldn't want these oldies totally disqualified as they look great mingling with the new stuff.

Agree the modern posters of old pictures are not in true spirit we want of members, but could there be a separate "gallery" section called "museum shots" where such postings are allowed with the appropriate recognitions. After all we don't know if the old photographers wouldn't have wanted their pics going online if they knew oneday there would be a great shipspotting.com site. Museum staff hardly likely to post so maybe the landlubber posters have their place.

I hope Ken's review will work out a happy medium, I have little time for certain categories so believe the old pics have more rights.

Cheers

Brent

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2014, 07:19:16 AM »
I have to agree with Captain Ted on this issue and the old saying quality not quantity has always been the rule here.They have set a standard and we should follow it, however some of the old photos do have a role to play here where their is no photo available of a certain ship from  the past.Regardless of whether we recognize it or not SHIPSPOTTING is also a growing database of all the worlds vessels.The Media,Shipping Companies and Private citizens realize that and look to this site to find a favorite ship or one in the news.I was a big contributor to this site a few years ago and got extremely frustrated with the bickering and complaints from members, but that has not stopped me from coming back and enjoying good quality shots of the ships.I cant help not coming back I love ships and enjoy my hobby and you should too!!
[color=0066FF]Jarrod David[/color][/b]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk