Author Topic: Loosing focus ?, Shipspotting or post anything from anywhere  (Read 26788 times)

Offline Sinisa Aljinovic

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Loosing focus ?, Shipspotting or post anything from anywhere
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 09:17:41 AM »
I think photos of Charlie Hill uploaded by member PWR are quite OK.At least someone could learn how to make a nice photos.Well done both of you. ;)Interesting nobody complaining about uploading 30, 40 or more photos of the same vessel by the same photographer?!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 09:20:19 AM by Sinisa Aljinovic »

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 01:13:32 PM »
@ Sinisa
very easy, read the title, this has nothing to do with your point brought in.
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline ventuari

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 02:53:52 PM »
Hi guys.

With all my respect to you all, I totally agree with the comments made by my colleague Captain Ted.

Third party collections,libreries, etc...must be uploaded, but, I suggest ???, in a different place in shipspotting main page. May be a different box, apart from the shots taken by shipspotters, for the most viewed third party or collections, libreries, etc...

Another considerations since I have been member since 2006:
Spotters uploading 3 or 4 or 5 shots in 1 minute. How they can do it...?  :-X ::)
Why no limit the maximun shots allowed to be uploaded per member in 24 hours.?
To much quantity ( 50-60-70 shots uploaded in 24 hours ).

By the way, since yesterday, here in La Palma, we are in bad weather alert. Winds more than 100 kms/h, rain, and so on...for the next 2-3 days at least.

But last night, trying to take night shots of Oriana, a gust of wind sent mi camara ( my old Nikon D40) and tripode to the hell ( 150 meters free fall down and my D40 M.I.A.) so now I need to buy a new one  >:( >:(  This is an example of the let
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 03:06:44 PM by ventuari »

Offline Fred Wilkinson

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 07:47:33 PM »
I agree with Captain Ted, why would you want to post photographs of a vessel that you had not taken yourself. Let's leave the photographs as they were taken and not use other means to enhance them. As a sailor I was reasonable, as a photographer I'm rubbish, at least they are all my own work.

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 08:57:22 PM »
Spotters uploading 3 or 4 or 5 shots in 1 minute. How they can do it...?  :-X ::)
Why no limit the maximun shots allowed to be uploaded per member in 24 hours.?
To much quantity ( 50-60-70 shots uploaded in 24 hours ).

The trick of fast uploading multiple photos of the same vessel is going "Back" with your browser after the first picture's upload, so that you only change the file name and location, with all other info staying the same. So it's only up to the internet provider's upload speed, and with smaller photos I guess it is really possible to upload, say, 3 photos per minute.

Limiting max. number of uploads will limit clicks for the site. Clicks = money = survival. Therefore, it won't happen.

I do not upload multiple photos of the same vessel (except for the known series of newbuildings, but usually over some period of time, and very different construction phases/views), but I see no issue with somebody wishing to upload 50+ photos of different vessels per day, all original author's work. It just means that the person in question has a lot of free time, which I can only envy. :)

As for the subject question, I agree with Capt. Ted, and would definitely like to see more "real" shipspotting photos, and less library scans.

Just my 0.02 $.

Rgds

Vlad

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 12:32:31 AM »
hi lappino

thanks post,,and thanks info,,interesting
and yes,, same line,not the posting per day,, if I sit 24 hrs in front of the pc,,why I should be limited of vessels I post,,makes no sense to me

brgds
capt ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline ventuari

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 01:41:47 AM »

The trick of fast uploading multiple photos of the same vessel is going "Back" with your browser after the first picture's upload, so that you only change the file name and location, with all other info staying the same. So it's only up to the internet provider's upload speed, and with smaller photos I guess it is really possible to upload, say, 3 photos per minute.

Limiting max. number of uploads will limit clicks for the site. Clicks = money = survival. Therefore, it won't happen.

I do not upload multiple photos of the same vessel (except for the known series of newbuildings, but usually over some period of time, and very different construction phases/views), but I see no issue with somebody wishing to upload 50+ photos of different vessels per day, all original author's work. It just means that the person in question has a lot of free time, which I can only envy. :)

As for the subject question, I agree with Capt. Ted, and would definitely like to see more "real" shipspotting photos, and less library scans.

Just my 0.02 $.

Rgds

Vlad

Hi lappino and Captain Ted.

Thanks for your informations. Now I know how...and get the point about the...more photos-more traffic and more...for the site. Something you explained very well and clear.

Thanks for your input about.

Back to the main subject,...shipspotting back to the basics, you shot and upload your own photos. I agree with both of you.

Thanks again.

My best regards.
ventuari

Offline PHa

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 08:59:16 AM »
It is always the same (and obviously never ending) story of uploading image-files into shipspottings data-base.

And the main rules are as follows:

1. Post a wreck = wreckSpotting
2. Post a casuality = casualitySpotting
3. Post a break up photo from a beach - breakupSpotting
4. Post an E-class newbuilding - E-classSpotting
5. Post a stormpic = stormpicSpotting
6. Post an aerial photo = aerialshipspotting
7. Post a cruiseship photo - paxshipspotting
8. Post a rusty containership - rustyshipspotting
9. Post a ship in heavy swell - swellshipspotting

and finally

10. Post the full ship image file content of a 32 gigabyte memory card, minimum twelve image files for one ship.

And don
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:04:17 AM by Peter Hartung »

Offline Rexroth

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 11:07:37 AM »
It is always the same (and obviously never ending) story of uploading image-files into shipspottings data-base.

And the main rules are as follows:

1. Post a wreck = wreckSpotting
2. Post a casuality = casualitySpotting
3. Post a break up photo from a beach - breakupSpotting
4. Post an E-class newbuilding - E-classSpotting
5. Post a stormpic = stormpicSpotting
6. Post an aerial photo = aerialshipspotting
7. Post a cruiseship photo - paxshipspotting
8. Post a rusty containership - rustyshipspotting
9. Post a ship in heavy swell - swellshipspotting

and finally

10. Post the full ship image file content of a 32 gigabyte memory card, minimum twelve image files for one ship.

And don

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 11:30:19 AM »
Impossible to get, what Peter Hartung wants to tell us with his post. Lack of clear words,too much room for all sorts of interpretions if you ask me  :-\ :-\ :-\

I think, the way Ken Smith has now sorted it out, is a GOOD WAY.

I think, it is o.k. if someone does upload photos for someone else, stating Copyright etc., and Name the one who took the photo.

The example of someone who is at sea, taking photos, but no time for uploading himself would be such case, or the 85 years old guy whos mind did not follow modernisation of Computer Technology.

If that still does disturb People then ?

- In that case, I think an idea would be: One Person having two accounts. One for him/herself own photos. Other account for the photos of the Person who does not upload photos. But, perhaps too complicated and one rule here says, only one account per Person.

Greetings,

Cornelia

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
@ peter

I wondering what your posting is about in the first place. It does not address anything
in the initial post or on the post which Ken did in the other forum section concerned to it. It just gives a list of posting possiblities which also could be expanded
for another 50 and much more cathegories.

1) ship from left
2) ship from right
3) ship from stern
4) ship from front
5) green ship
6) blue ship
7) black ship

and so on bla bla bla

but does not shed any light on how you think it could be solved and/or go about the
whole problem of peoples who posting anything from the net they can get their hands on
and virtually distroying the aim of this site which is and may be should stay posting vessels done by the photographer or in special circumstances posting for someone instead but not flooding the site with net pictures. Even looked at not just old pictures from pubic domains , here are posters on this site they must virtually live in airplanes to get from place to place to take the pictres they posting under their names.

brgds
capt ted

Offline sandygates

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 06:50:41 PM »
Peter Hartung: I think I got the point of your piece of ironic, sarcastic satire but, it would seem, not many others did. Maybe something got lost in translation!

Offline Northkehdinger

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2013, 08:29:17 PM »
Peter Hartung: I think I got the point of your piece of ironic, sarcastic satire but, it would seem, not many others did. Maybe something got lost in translation!

Hi sandygates
Thanks for your nice comment.It make me looking out for Peters statement.
@ Peter. You nail it. Thanks for making it clear.

brgds

Offline Robert Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 10:27:37 PM »
Come on folks, Peter Hartung was just adding some humour to the discussion. Can't you laugh anymore once in a while ? All I see in this thread are unbelievably serious comments. This is supposed to be a hobby, something to enjoy, to relax if you like. Give me a break !

Robert.

>:(

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2013, 11:52:21 PM »
@ robert

sorry,,but I don,t see the humorous side in that comment at all,, not even when I try the sarcastic look. I have btw high regards for Peter,,because he supplied a lot of real good data,s and info and wondered often where he get all those infos and how much time in puts into it, however I was totally surprised that he posted something like that in the first place.
I still believe and think that this site is about ships fotos taken by the photographer and posted here by the very same photographer (old is not the point, I have still pics from the 80,s and in 20 years may have 1000th which I never posted and by then may be 50 years old)  and not about any photo taken from anyhwhere and to post here.
It,s a hobby as stated,,what kind of hobby ? Going out and make the pics or sit in a chair and rove internet sites for pics , the latter seems to be by now more popular.

and yes,,may be I am all wrong, but then I might as well leave my camera home when I go back to the job

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk