Author Topic: MSC RITA  (Read 24582 times)

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: MSC RITA
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 01:13:11 PM »
I would assume that as MSC Rita was diverted from Felixstowe to London Gateway, it would have been for discharge only as her export containers were at Felixstowe.

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 01:45:41 PM »
It looks as if London Gateway have picked up another 2 from Felixstowe: Gudrun Maersk due London Gateway on 08.01.14 (according to PLA schedules) and Maersk Kiel due London Gateway on 13.01.13 (according to Maersk schedules).

If it is correct that Gudrun Maersk will berth at London Gateway, I believe her statistics will make her the largest vessel compared to the previous holder - Zim Rotterdam.

Offline DAVE NINNIM

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 05:03:34 PM »
Quite surprised to find myself posting again here, but seriously surprised also to see that no-one has so-far mentioned an interesting and important fact about MSC Rita's outbound journey from Gateway.

Instead to making the diversion up to Sunk, she popped out of the Thames via the Princes Channel, dredged to 8m below chart datum, dropped her pilot at NE Spit, and cruised off towards her next call.

This doesn't destroy PoF's arguement about additional steaming distances to Gateway, but clearly shows that if Rita can do it safely and happily on a suitable tide (a 90,000 GT vessel showing a 9m draft) then other large vessels will do the same. Inbound voyages where the vessel is making a UK call before making another European call will result in less distance steamed . . . interesting times ahead, I think.
We have served ships at the NE Spit inbound/outbound of the Princes with drafts of 11m before now. As you say very tide dependent but also it depends on the Pilot; Some are scared of their own shadow others couldn't care less. We served the Maersk Seville East of the NE Goodwin and she traveled on up via the Sunk separation scheme into the Gateway. When you look at the ships passage track it hardly had to alter course to get it's pilot(s). This something we would be quite happy to do for all LGW ships that are inbound from the South and as pointed out they could transit the Princes when draft and tide permit.

Offline Michael

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 06:15:53 PM »
Yes, LGW have picked up two more Felixstowe vessels, discharge only I believe, we're currently being hammered by high winds recently so LGW are (rightly so) making hay whilst the sun shines.

Having said that I did hear today that Felixstowe is accepting a Maersk vessel off rotation for severe storm damage, it's not showing on our database as it has no work plan, we're only going to recover damaged boxes and repair as best we can, as yet I cannot see any vessels on AIS that fit the bill, it's due tomorrow sometime, probably late afternoon and our engineering night shift tomorrow have been prepped for deck work for some considerable time.

Felixstowe currently has quayside tied up with cranes in deep maintenance so slotting a vessel in there makes perfect sense as it will not hinder the other berths which are working at capacity right now. The work involved on the inbound vessel will not require gantry cranes, it may require a mobile in due course.

Offline Michael

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 08:26:36 PM »
Derek, it may not be a Maersk vessel in Maersk colours but a rental or other vessel on a Maersk service, as I say, it's only hearsay at the moment and with European shipping, especially Felixstowe is in such disarray due to the weather it could go anywhere. The information I got was 'it's just a Maersk Ship', not a ship spotter clearly LOL.

I think LGW will be keen not to accept (Zim Rotterdam incident) as it'll tie their singular (at present) berth up from other vessels planned.

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 09:37:17 PM »
Nothing other than scheduled vessels showing on the Harwich Haven Authority forecasts as yet.

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 09:54:46 PM »
Cheers Derek.

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2014, 09:45:19 PM »
London Gateway have picked up another diversion from Felixstowe:

MSC Vancouver (previously Cosco Vancouver) was due to arrive Felixstowe at 0800 hrs on 02.02.14 but has now disappeared from the Felixstowe arrivals schedule and re-appeared on the London Gateway schedule as due at 1000 hrs on 02.02.14.

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 10:06:31 PM »
London Gateway schedules are showing the PUCON as being due on 10.02.14.  This may be another diversion from Felixstowe.

Offline Neil D

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 12:21:04 PM »
Yes, this vessel is on CSAV's IMEX 1 Mid East/Indian Sub Con service which normally calls at Felixstowe. I think CSAV operates the service jointly with MSC.

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2014, 01:47:55 PM »
Having recently called at Tilbury on 10/11.02.14 the Sealand Eagle (Maersk Far East service) will call at London Gateway on 16/18.02.14.

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 10:30:22 PM »
The vessel MSC Katrina (366 metres) operating on the MSC Silk service (normal UK port of call is Felixstowe) was showing on London Gateway schedules as arriving there on 19.02.14 and departing on 20.02.14. This is now showing as cancelled and MSC Katrina appears on the Port of Felixstowe schedules as arriving on 22.02.14.

One wonders if MSC had been hedging their bets with the recent weather disruption to operations at Felixstowe.

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2014, 10:43:28 PM »
Interesting! When I asked them late this afternoon, they weren't too sure how it got on the page! Relatively lucky for me, really, as I realised the only footage I had of MSC Katrina was late one evening . .
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:46:16 PM by chrisg46 »
Chris
I'm a working shipping journo, and run a website called ShippingTV . . .
http://www.shippingtv.co.uk

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 09:55:54 AM »
Hyundai Singapore, operated by MSC was due Felixstowe on 20.02.14 but has arrived at London Gateway 20.02.14 0810 hrs and due to depart at 1900 hrs

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk