Author Topic: Costa Concordia to be scrapped at Grenaa ?  (Read 26137 times)

Offline Gavin Rayfield

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Costa Concordia to be scrapped at Grenaa ?
« on: November 24, 2013, 10:00:56 AM »
Hi , I have just read an article in the Tugs Towing & Offshore Newsletter No 67 apparently the vessels owners have turned to fornaes shipbreaking and asked if they could imagine to do the job ! Fornaes have again apparently been in touch with local authorities and received prior authorization to take the ship in Grenaa port. Written as the article reads. The source was credited to vesseltracker.

Cheers,

Gavin

Offline sandygates

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
Re: Costa Concordia to be scrapped at Grenaa ?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 05:19:30 PM »
What a load of nonsense!

Offline holedrille

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 07:26:26 PM »
Sandygates
Do you have any logic for your dismissive comment? If so, please enlighten us.
Holedriller

Offline sandygates

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 09:56:42 PM »
Towing or carrying that huge wreck all the way to the small-ships breaking yard at Grenaa in Denmark would be so illogical that I do not feel inclined to insult the intelligence of the majority of members by stating the obvious reasons why I think the report is nonsense.

Offline Robert Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 10:10:06 PM »
Sandygates, "c'est le ton qui fait la musique" or to put it in plain English, there is absolutely no need to react in such condescending way to a post by another member. Simply a matter of common courtesy....

>:(

Robert Smith.

Offline Daniel B

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 11:54:57 PM »
Courtesy or music may be allright, but towing such a wreck all the way to northern Europe is really a nonsense. Consider the number of days of sailing between Italy and Danmark. And the changing state of the seas during those days and you get a nightmare.

Offline Astra

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 05:34:04 AM »
Costa has contacted several yards concerning the dismantling of Costa Concordia. The Fornaes Skibsophug in Grenaa, Denmark is one of them.

The contact between Costa and the Fornaes Skibsophug is described as preliminary but serious.The Port of Grenaa and the Fornaes Skibsophug is very much able to handle a ship of this size and the dismantling of it.

Costa Concordia is not been towed away from the Italian Isola del Giglio, but onboard the semi - submersible heavy transport vessel Dockwise Vanguard.

Regards.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 09:30:41 AM »
This may not be as daft as it sounds.

The ultimate fate of Costa Concordia will generate huge publicity. As such, the salvors/insurers will not risk a huge (mostly ill-informed) public outcry should they sell the wreck to Indian sub-Continent cash buyers for scrapping. They are going to look for an alternative that is as environmentally and public-friendly as possible. As Astra says, the facilities at Grenaa are more than capable of handling such a job and they certainly meet all the 'green' credentials. Perhaps our man Bendt will keep us in the  picture  :)

Having said that, my money is on Aliaga!

Brgds
Phil

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 01:14:03 PM »
but, of course, the long tow to Grenaa would offer many opportunities for it to simply sink........sure it's happened many time before, or am I being too cynical ?

Allan

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 01:21:54 PM »
Allan,

As Astra says, she will not be towed. She will be transported on the heavy load vessel "Dockwise Vanguard".

Brgds
Phil

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 04:17:20 PM »
well that rules out that end game

Allan

Offline GwilJ

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 04:27:03 PM »
Getting her on the beach of Alang or Gadani would be a difficult job, getting her off the Dockwise Vanguard for one. Too far away from the beach and would remain submerged again. Anywhere where there is a dock facility would be ideal, not many choices.

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 09:05:30 PM »
Getting her on the beach of Alang or Gadani would be a difficult job, getting her off the Dockwise Vanguard for one. Too far away from the beach and would remain submerged again. Anywhere where there is a dock facility would be ideal, not many choices.

Err?? is it me or am I missing something!

Costa Concordia has to be 'refloated' to get her onto the Semi Submercible, then wherever she goes she then has to be re-floated off again, so it makes no difference if she is dry docked or beached after.

Semi Submercibles cost a fortune to hire daily, My best guess is they will take no chances once she is afloat and will pick the shortest distance and safest place possible.

http://gcaptain.com/dockwise-vanguard-to-lift-costa-concordia-from-giglio/

That's 'if' the Dockwise Vanguard can lift the Costa Concordia, her lifting capacity I see is 117,000 tons and Costa Concordia was/is 114,000 GT.

I guess it's going to be 'watch this space'. :)

Mike

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group

Offline spotti

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 09:24:26 PM »
GT is a cubic measurement (1 GT equal to 2.8 m3), not a weight measurement.
BR Niels

PS: On Wikipedia's "Costa Concordia Disaster", the displacement/displacement tonnage - or
weight - of the ship is stated at 50,000 tons.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 09:42:51 PM by spotti »

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 07:40:18 AM »
I thought I read somewhere that once she was stably afloat she was to be towed to the nearest port that can handle a ship of this size to be dismantled?  Thing is no one is going to accurately predict her weight as even with the pontoons there will still be quite a bit of water inside her plus all the silt that would have washed into while she was on her side

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk