Author Topic: News video: UK's cruellest sea trade in live animals from Dover  (Read 2392 times)

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
News video: UK's cruellest sea trade in live animals from Dover
« on: November 21, 2013, 04:30:57 PM »
FILMED 18th November, 2013 (date on film is wrong!) Months after the UK's only live animal export route, operated by the ex-tank carrier Joline, shifted to Dover, protesters are still working to try and get this cruel trade stopped . .

On the video page, and on Shipping TV . .
Chris
I'm a working shipping journo, and run a website called ShippingTV . . .
http://www.shippingtv.co.uk

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
Re: News video: UK's cruellest sea trade in live animals from Dover
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 10:55:44 PM »
Why on earth is it labelled "cruel trade"?
Livestock transport in Europe and the UK in particular is more regulated than the transport of people!
Why is it cruel to take the animals on a truck/sea journey but not cruel to cut their throats and eat them?
Kelvin

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
Re: News video: UK's cruellest sea trade in live animals from Dover
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 12:09:16 PM »
Up to about a year ago, Kelvin, I'd have agreed with you - but since then, for working reasons, I've done a lot of research on the subject, and have changed my view. Don't get me wrong - I am a meat-eater, and will continue to be . . because I like it.

You're right, of course - there are stacks of rules and regulations about animal welfare and live animal transport. The problem, however, is that the enforcement of these doesn't anywhere near match the intention. It's better in the UK, but reported to be very poor in most of mainland Europe.

In this instance, the animals concerned are mainly cull ewes, taken from flocks when their breeding prime is over. They're sold at auction at comparatively very low prices for industrial meat products, and are mostly killed locally. The shippers in this case, however, bring them from all over the UK to Dover, ship them on this small craft, and truck them all over Europe, usually without food, drink or often rest (which is why many of the vehicles have 2 crew). Animals maintained in this way cannot be shipped aboard conventional ferries, although breeding stock, maintained to higher standards, can be and is.

Inspections seem to be cursory. When the RSPCA was allowed to inspect a shipment of these animals when they were being shipped through Ramsgate, many were found to have broken legs and other injuries, and around 46 had to be put down on the spot. The RSPCA aren't permitted to examine these animals.

At the end of their journey, they are killed, and allegedly often passed off as locally-reared. Large numbers of them may be sold privately at some times of the year, and killed in back-garden religious ceremonies.

As someone who has no problem with being a meat eater, I still firmly believe that the animals I eat deserve to be treated as humanely as possible. You're entitled to your own opinion, as we all are, but personally and as a journalist, I find this trade pretty repulsive.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 12:13:19 PM by chrisg46 »
Chris
I'm a working shipping journo, and run a website called ShippingTV . . .
http://www.shippingtv.co.uk

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk