Author Topic: Maersk Bentonville makes long stay in Felixstowe  (Read 19320 times)

Offline Buttermansbay

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Re: Maersk Bentonville makes long stay in Felixstowe
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 11:29:26 PM »
According to Port of Flx deps list, Maersk Bentonville sailed to Wilhelmshaven 06/11/13 17:43.

Michael - thanks for comment about ship widths. I did wonder if that was the reason, so nice to confirm it. Re CSCL Saturn, I agree, it's worth watching the weather / light / marinetraffic on Monday, there could be a picture to be had, although the quoted arrival times are frequently out by hours! I keep trying for the master shot.

Keith.

Offline Ben Backstay

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 11:53:17 PM »
It may be worth noting that the ships of 366m LOA and 48m (19 boxes) across will be the new Panamax size when the new lock system has been completed on the Panama Canal in a few years time. Current Panamax is 294 LOA and 13 boxes across.

Offline Michael

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 10:04:42 AM »
Keith, so she did, well spotted, the hole left by the recent Bentonville load is almost full again and I've just spotted a new temporary park in the hinterland that's just been filled up with Maersk 40' empties, so theres plenty more to go by the look of things.

CSCL Saturn arrival is still not on the system, probably won't go on until MSC Filomena departs, accurate arrival (marine arrival time from pilots) usually goes on the system a few hours before actual arrival, probably released when pilot boards at the sunk. Currently MSC Filomena will meet her expected departure time of 14:00 so CSCL Saturn should hopefully arrive at 17:00. The arrival time is usually the time the gang plank hits the ground and unlashing can begin, so a 17:00 arrival in reality means the vessel could be in the river ready to turn anything upto -60min before stated arrival time. If the sun stays out then it might just be possible to photo her in day light as she enters the estuary and begins her turn, if she turns, no idea which side will be alongside yet.

Offline Michael

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 10:06:46 AM »
Ben, didn't know that, that makes sense as most of the MSC vessels are 48m, though not sure their current scedules send them that way, maybe MSC are thinking ahead and worked out that by the time the new locks are open then these vessels will be cascaded to those services and newer bigger ones will have been built for the current schedules they are on.

Offline Buttermansbay

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 07:49:16 PM »
Michael, re CSCL Saturn...
See new thread "On the day that London Gateway opens..."  ;)
Keith

Offline Buttermansbay

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2013, 11:15:25 PM »
Michael
if she turns, no idea which side will be alongside yet.
What determines whether they turn on arrival or on departure?
Keith.

Offline Michael

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2013, 09:13:35 AM »
Keith, a numbr of factors, sometimes weather or other traffic in the river but mainly the crane work plan, sometimes there are more boxes on one side of the vessel so you want those as close to the quay as possible to reduce crane travel time. Vehicle flow on the quay is always from the stern forward so that can have an effect if other vessels are already berthed, no point placing a vessel facing up stream when either side they are facing down stream, just creates traffic flow problems on the quay. On average 80% turn before berthing. I'll ask the marine department today if I get a chance for a difinitive answer, if there is even one.

Offline Ben Backstay

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2013, 10:02:14 AM »
At Felixstowe, For Trinity berths 2 to 7 the ships berth port side to unless requested starboard side to for special requirements or arriving in dense fog. For Trinity 1 the default berthing Is starboard side to. Berths 8 & 9 normally bow to tide, but can go either side to if required.

DanEarl

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »
Vehicle flow on the quay is always from the stern forward so that can have an effect if other vessels are already berthed, no point placing a vessel facing up stream when either side they are facing down stream, just creates traffic flow problems on the quay.

Michael, Thank you for your information regarding vehicle flow, that is something I never knew and will look out for it elsewhere to see if procedures are common.

Learning something new everyday !

Cheers, Dan.

Offline Michael

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2013, 10:56:47 AM »
Ben is correct, just spoke to marine and Trinity is Port side too, FSR is tide related to vessels over a certain length, I think 300m was mentioned?

Terminal traffic flow is no longer effective and vessels these days often load full width so thats no longer an issue.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk