Author Topic: Heavy lift ship  (Read 10244 times)

Offline Christian Herrou

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Heavy lift ship
« on: October 18, 2013, 04:27:57 PM »
Hi All,

I was surprised when posted the Heavy lift ship Frauke that my picture was transfered to General Cargo ships built 2000-2010 (Over 3000gt)

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1897985

The Frauke is a real heavy lift ship with large crane and outboard ballast tank

2 x 700 mtons SWL, 1 x 350 mtons SWL,combinable up to 1,400 mtons SWL

She is classed : GL + 100 A5, G Solas II-2-Reg. 19, General Cargo Ship, Strengthened for Heavy Cargo, Heavy Lift Ship, MC AUT

By the way I was looking the other ships in this category with Shipspotting.com and find that almost only semi-submersible are in this category.

It's not understandable how this category is working specialy when removing all the fleet of one of the main Heavy Lift ship owner

http://sal-heavylift.com/eng/home/

Like a confusion all the Kahn fleet is accepted as Heavy lift. Where is the difference ?

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/search.php?search_owner=Kahn Scheepvaart - Rotterdam, Netherlands

Maybe somebody can explain this snag ?

Have a nice day

Christian Herrou

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy lift ship
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 05:08:12 PM »
I guess sooner there will be more confusion about what's a heavy lift vessel. Many now are just classed as multipurpose (geared) vessels, strengthened for heavy cargo. Hence they can be found both in gen.cargo ships & heavy lift vessels categories here. Like 40 years ago a derrick of some 80t was a heavy lift one. Now many geared gen.cargo ships have 2 or more cranes of 80t & more.
All SAL ships should be in heavy lift category, I reckon.
Also, maybe there should be a sorta subcategory like "Heavy Load Ships" for semi-submersible & gearless heavy "lift" vessels?
Regards,
Denis

Offline Christian Herrou

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 05:27:33 PM »
Hello

Thanks for you comment, it's right that some years ago a 80t derrick was a big one, now it's quite normal.

Here it's strange to see all Jumbo Ship fleet accepted even small ship like Daniela with 500tons cranes (two cranes combination)

And all SAL fleet excluded, compared to Daniela, the Frauke is 1400 tons capable. 

Anyway both are true Heavy Lift ships with many details like ballast monitoring during loading, external arms with external ballasts, combination of two cranes etc.   

Heavy lift ships are really specialized ships, not only big muscles cranes ships and far from just general cargo

Offline Christian Herrou

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 06:23:58 PM »
Hello,

By the way it's quite absurd. At first somebody changed the category of my picture of the Frauke from Heavy Lift ship to General Cargo ships built 2000-2010 (Over 3000gt)

As I've open this discussion here to know the reason why typical heavy lift ships like all the fleet of one the main Heavy Lift operator are not in the category Heavy Lift I've received no answer, comment or message from picture administrator,

So I've changed her back to Heavy Lift vessel.

Like a joke somebody have changed again, and that time just to Cargo ;D

Is it somebody here to explain why all the Jumbo Ship fleet is accepted in the category Heavy lift and why all the fleet of SAL is not ?

Same job, same caracteristics, same classification from BV, LR etc ...  Even same cargo as here

So where is the difference between this Heavy Lift vessel

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1779847

and that General cargo ships built 2000-2010 (Over 3000gt)

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1865677

Yep, all the Combi-Lift ships are also not accepted here as Heavy Lift

I just hope to know, maybe there is a real reason

Kindest regards  Christian Herrou

DanEarl

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 06:56:05 PM »
I have just checked my photos of the SAL vessel LONE and they have also been changed despite SAL website clearly classing them as heavy lift :

http://sal-heavylift.com/eng/home/

I am sure an explanation will be forth coming from my fellow admins / webmaster.

Cheers, Dan.

Offline Elbe-Dino

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 07:33:35 PM »
Hi,
I have a good friend, who is working for SAL for more than 10 years. I got several invitations from him to join the launching ceremonies. The ships of SAL are doing heavy lift works round the world. From the descriptions and plans I got about the ships of SAL, you could see, that all the ships are classified as heavy lift vessels and so I was told by my friend.
A wise fool speaks, because he has something to say.
A fool speaks, because he has to say something.
A wise fool is silent, because there is nothing to say.
A fool is silent, because he has nothing to say.

Offline Christian Herrou

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 07:35:38 PM »
Thanks Dan and Elbe Dino it's easier to be not alone surprized with this strange change of category.

To be continue ... Wait and see

Best regards Xtian  

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 08:53:58 PM »
Ken is absolutely correct here. The SAL vessels are multi-purpose heavy lift ships. This means that they do not have open holds for project cargo only, but are designed along the lines of a modern MPP with holds and hatches enabling them to carry a variety of cargoes including bulk, break-bulk and containers, in addition to having strengthened hatches and heavy lift gear for handling project cargo. As such, their classification according to Germanischer Lloyd (and thus Equasis / IHS Fairplay) is "General Cargo Ship...Strengthened for Heavy Cargo Heavy Lift Ship"

Brgds
Phil

Offline Christian Herrou

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 09:58:53 PM »
Hello

Phil : the comma used for class notation is for "and".

The real class notation for the Frauke is : GL + 100 A5, G Solas II-2-Reg. 19, General Cargo Ship, Strengthened for Heavy Cargo, Heavy Lift Ship, MC AUT

Anyway you problably right to follow Equasis and Miramar even if she's definitly an Heavy Lift ship for the owner, for the operators, for the clients, for the classification

Then do you think that everything you said about SAL ships is not also applicable to the Kahn Jumbo-Shipping ships ?  As all the Jumbo-Shipping ships are Heavy lifts vessel on Shipspotting.

Best regards  Xtian

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 07:21:16 AM »
If needed, why dont add a general cargo ships strengthened for heavy lift-section, then, without the year build subcategory?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk