Author Topic: Royal Yacht Britannia  (Read 5162 times)

Offline stantheman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Royal Yacht Britannia
« on: October 11, 2013, 10:52:36 PM »
Just wondering, can anyone tell me whatever became of the Royal Yacht Britannia?
I heard she was decomissioned as the royal yacht but never heard what became of her. ???

DanEarl

Re: Royal Yacht Britannia
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 11:00:37 PM »

Offline stantheman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 01:37:13 AM »
Thanks so much Dan Earle! ;D

Offline JohnMcNeely

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 04:58:12 AM »
seeing the images of so elite class people there, i am now totally convinced that the yacht is truly eligible to be called a Royal

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 08:20:32 PM »
Just wondering, can anyone tell me whatever became of the Royal Yacht Britannia?
I heard she was decomissioned as the royal yacht but never heard what became of her. ???

She is in Leith Scotland with a free car park in the shopping centre along side, actually you go into the shopping centre to board her.
I visited her last year, expensive but just one of the things you 'have to do' if your interested in ships.

To work on her must have been a nightmare when you read what some of the crew had to do,polished 'bullshit' was the number one word I think !

By todays standards her bridge is pure antique but again interesting, you can not get in the engine room but you can see it.

Also the Royal yacht 'Bloodhound' is alongside Brittania and also worth a visit.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 08:22:43 PM by Mike »
Mike

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group

Offline Malim Sahib

• Just can't stay away
  • Merchant Seaman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 12:27:14 PM »
To work on her must have been a nightmare when you read what some of the crew had to do,polished 'bullshit' was the number one word I think !

By todays standards her bridge is pure antique but again interesting, you can not get in the engine room but you can see it.

Even so, those who sailed in her regarded it as a privilege, invariably only the best were selected and even then had to go through quite a process before they were appointed to her.
The bridge itself is the old style RN variety, it merely being a covered compass platform, the wheel etc being down below (warship style) in a protected citadel.
It may look spartan and basic, but as the adage goes; keep it simple and it'll never go wrong!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk