Author Topic: Cassiopeia (IMO 8104577) - To be or not to be?  (Read 4551 times)

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Cassiopeia (IMO 8104577) - To be or not to be?
« on: January 21, 2014, 10:59:36 PM »
Hello all,

I've a question regarding the fate of Cassiopeia (IMO 8104577).

Equasis, Miramar and Grosstonnage all say she's still in service.

The most recent photo of her I found here dates back to April 2013.

Her last position, however, is according to both Marine Traffic and Fleetmon Guangzhou, China, since September 2013.

Can anyone confirm that she's still in service or has she been broken up in China?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One more question... Is Maersk Venice (IMO 9242651) still laid-up at Sczcecin in Poland? She must be there for roughly a year now (judging from the info I found on the net).

Kind regards,
Jens

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Cassiopeia (IMO 8104577) - To be or not to be?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 09:49:57 AM »
Hi Jens,

Cassiopeia was withdrawn from GL class in January 2012 in favour of a non-IACS society which does not report vessel class status. As such, it's almost impossible to get anything definitive unless the owner is willing to talk. Curiously, as you say, the last position is Guangzhou, China, but that doesn't ring true. Given her apparent ownership and European trading status, it would make no commercial sense to send such a vessel to China for demolition - unless she had already been trading out there for a while.

There are numerous possibilities as to what's happened to her. Shipspotting evidence may be the only way to find out.

Good luck!

Phil

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 02:20:55 PM »
Equasis inspection list is out of date.  She was detained at Savona 29/3/2013 and we already have evidence that she was there 6/4.  In fact, she is still listed on the current Paris Memorandum detention list at https://www.parismou.org/detentions-banning/current-detentions

I don't how good the Italian authorities are at informing PMOU of releases from detention.
A report elsewhere has "currently at Tuzla", which sounds plausible if she is not still at Savona.

No credence given to the Guangzhou report.  Either a AIS data entry error, or Dominica register has reallocated the MMSI/call-sign

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 08:08:55 PM »
Hi Phil and davidships,

thanks for the help and explanations.

So I will be checking now and then if there's a current photo of her showing up somewhere.

Thanks again,

Jens

Offline Federico

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 11:12:00 PM »
CASSIOPEIA 8104577 is moored on the breakwater of the port of Savona due to insolvency of owner. I will put one picture as soon as possible.

Offline Federico

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 11:29:31 PM »
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1964210

You can see her alongside the external breakwater

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 12:00:57 AM »
Hey, cool... thanks a lot, Federico ;) ;)

(I still don't understand this mix-up of AIS-signals, showing her signal in Guangzhou when she is in Savona. Did they sell the transmitter to China to pay off debts? ;D

Still, an amazing day, two mysteries (Merita and Cassiopeia) solved.

A big thanks to everyone involved, spending your time and efforts to help me! 8)

Cheers,
Jens

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk