Author Topic: world's most challenging parking lot!!  (Read 6880 times)

Offline Derell Licht

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
world's most challenging parking lot!!
« on: July 26, 2013, 06:33:07 PM »
This amazing video was posted on gCaptain today;
http://gcaptain.com/dozens-cars-slide-ship-heavy-seas/

Yeah, those are some pretty rough seas, but d'ya think maybe the crew forgot something before they set sail ?!?! :o

Not all those who wander are lost...

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: world's most challenging parking lot!!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 06:55:15 PM »
actually in the foreground there is something like a lashing/rope,,,but definitely it looks a little scarce of that for all those cars. Too many cars where nothing as a remains of a lashing to see . One really would have to conclude that a lot of them were really not lashed
definitely not sufficient !!!!
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 09:34:46 PM »
...and wheel turning freely (ie no hand-brakes)

Offline SteKrueBe

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 09:56:21 PM »
Hi there! Reminds me a bit on remnants of stock car crash races  ;D
By the way, here's a pic of the ship:
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=815187

Offline Derell Licht

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 02:07:45 AM »
@davidships: THANK YOU!!  That's what I was trying to figure out... why were they rolling around so easily??  Jeeezzz... maybe I need to re-take my driving test, if I can't remember the hand brake (and I drive a stick shift, so I *always* use it!!)

@SteKrueBe: yeah, I was thinking of demolition derbies all the time that I watched the video!
Thanks for the photo link... It looks like she typically carries containers; maybe the Master didn't really know what to do with automobiles??

I have to admit, that *was* an impressive-looking sea there...
Would any of you veteran seafarers care to make a guess on Beaufort scale?  I'm guessing it was pretty high... I was a sailor in the 1970's, but I was on a U.S. Navy ship, we didn't learn about topics such as wind estimating...
Not all those who wander are lost...

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 09:11:43 AM »
Snow on steel deck and cars without winter tires... what did you expect without proper lashing?

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 10:46:54 AM »
I would like to see this in the same storm.

Regards,
Denis

Offline SteKrueBe

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 01:19:48 PM »
@davidships: THANK YOU!!  That's what I was trying to figure out... why were they rolling around so easily??  Jeeezzz... maybe I need to re-take my driving test, if I can't remember the hand brake (and I drive a stick shift, so I *always* use it!!)

@SteKrueBe: yeah, I was thinking of demolition derbies all the time that I watched the video!
Thanks for the photo link... It looks like she typically carries containers; maybe the Master didn't really know what to do with automobiles??

I have to admit, that *was* an impressive-looking sea there...
Would any of you veteran seafarers care to make a guess on Beaufort scale?  I'm guessing it was pretty high... I was a sailor in the 1970's, but I was on a U.S. Navy ship, we didn't learn about topics such as wind estimating...

Hi Derrell! The 'Astongate' is a multipurpose vessel. Apart from containers this type of ships can transport virtually everything & anything that fit's in her holds. It mainly depends on the respective trade.
Regarding the windforce it's a bit uncertain to make a good guess on the basis of that video, but i would estimate it's roughly 10 Bft.
Given the iced hatchcovers and the heavy rolling of the vessel it's easy to imagine what happens, if only one car starts to break away from it's lashings. It's like domino day :-) unfortunately those ratchet and plastic strap lashings always tend to loose some tension under intermitting forces.
All the best,
Stefan

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 02:46:37 PM »
But the soundtrack adds a new dimension to the video... ;D

In short: the guy filming desperately wants to get a shot of a vehicle falling from the ship. That is the main idea. But he is also saying things like "Should we call for help?", "We will f**king die and no-one will remember us!", and "Sh*t, no control, no power...we are f**king stopped and dying..." - but all this is delivered in reasonably calm and businesslike voice, as if he just wants to add more drama...

Offline tvtech

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 06:43:57 PM »
LOL Denis.

I remember that crazy thing carrying cars. One of the most bizzare and mind altering photo's I think I have ever seen. It still plays mind games with me  :o

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk