Author Topic: Tilbury Power Staion to Close in October 2013  (Read 44113 times)

kensmith

Tilbury Power Staion to Close in October 2013
« on: July 06, 2013, 10:37:27 AM »

Tilbury Power Station to close in October 2013

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-23194675

Just as we are getting some interesting ships on the berth !!!

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Tilbury Power Staion to Close in October 2013
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 12:35:31 PM »
Because of the massive wind farms builded off shore Thameses estuary ?
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 10:41:21 PM »
Hi Ken,

Well that's very disappointing news. Not just from a shipspotting perspective.

Best Regards
John J.
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 12:14:56 PM »
The Helius project is still proceeding at Southampton re a biomass power plant. Guess Tilbury ship loss will be a Southampton gain. http://www.southamptonbiomasspower.com/

Offline DAVE NINNIM

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 07:00:48 PM »
It is quite surprising considering the lack of power that is 'still' not making it ashore from the 2 latest wind farms off the kent coast!

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 08:07:40 PM »
The Helius project is still proceeding at Southampton re a biomass power plant. Guess Tilbury ship loss will be a Southampton gain. http://www.southamptonbiomasspower.com/
Don't hold your breath Chas. Tilbury was a 1.42 GW station while the proposed Southampton version aims to be a 1GW generator.
So, close one that already operating and replace with a pipe dream power station that offers a little over 2/3rd that capacity.
And, don't forget, Tilbury is a multi-fuel site burning coal, fuel oil and this magic ingredient "biomass".
Even worse, the Southampton plant is being moved from its original site because of its close proximity to housing. They are doubling the distance from 125 yards to 250!
It seems to me that these days, if you really want to bamboozle the people, just stick a prefix of 'bio' or 'eco' or even 'e' on it.
I remember all the shouting and moaning about British power stations causing total devastation over Scandinavia through polluting emissions. I found myself working in Norway and Sweden in 1990/1991 and was never, ever able to see any of these devastated forests. Even when I asked the locals to show me the evidence.
At the same time, the same scare tactics were being used in Germany. Remember the "Aarrgh! the Black Forest is being killed by all the pollution from the fast cars on the Autobahn"?
Yeah. Right.
Who, among you Thames lads, remembers Dartford power station? I worked in there a couple of times in the early 1970s, re-lining and repairing the ash hoppers at the base of the chimneys. We used to work in the summer time and one day, while having lunch on the jetty there, one of the lads dived in the river for a swim.
In no time at all, there was an ambulance and a couple of first aiders, all panicking in case he had swallowed any of the river water.
We all laughed; being scousers, we were used to swimming in the River Mersey and had a better class of pollution than the Thames!
Lol!

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 12:20:12 PM »
Well the thing I don't understand is why are we exporting biomass from Southampton to Sweden !!!!

Allan

Offline KINGROVER

• JOHN D
  • Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 01:42:28 PM »
Also biomass sent to Sweden from Avonmouth

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 02:13:29 PM »
I think we all know the answers here; the faster the money goes around, the more difficult it becomes to hold anybody to account for it.
I bet the exporters are claiming all manner of EU subsidies/tax relief.
And then the importers will probably be claiming all manner of EU subsidies/tax relief.
Talk about the Magic Roundabout!
Kelvin

Offline sandygates

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 02:42:15 PM »
Strange lot the Swedes: back in the 1990s they banned nuclear power and started generating electricity by burning peat. Not exactly the most environmentally friendly or renewable energy source.

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 02:54:10 PM »
Hi Kelvin and Allan ... anyone told Liverpool about EU subsidies. They could then get a ride on the carousel next to Avonmouth.

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 09:01:42 PM »
don't mention the subsidies.........

Allan

Offline Aquizard

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 11:09:56 PM »
The Station was commissioned in 1969, so in 2009 it clocked up 40 years of operation. The Biomass burning was meant to extend the stations operational life, by 10/5 years or so. Clearly a decision has been made to cease generation, no doubt the age of the plant was a factor that was considered. It may be replanted with one of those newer CCGT stations. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk