Author Topic: Undderstand the MOL Comfort has sunk today in the Arabian Sea anyone with any in  (Read 17447 times)

Offline wrecker9

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Interested if anyone has any more info
regards

Offline Stan Muller

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • My album
Odin website:

MOL Comfort broke in two and sank in Arabian sea
Category :- Accidents Author :- Editorial
Posted on June 17, 2013, 9:43 am

Reportedly container ship MOL Comfort broke in two and sank in Arabian sea on June 17 13. 26 crew rescued safe and sound. Vessel was en route from Far East to Northern Europe. Vessel was engaged on North Europe Express 1 Service, Far East

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
According to Tradewinds, the ship is still afloat, though damage is 'extensive'

Brgds
Phil

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
If anyone has access to the Tradewinds website, there is now a photo there showing the ship afloat, but bent amidships with a huge hull crack.

Brgds
Phil

Offline Andrew McAlpine

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
more info here...............

http://in.news.yahoo.com/india-helps-save-26-crew-sinking-ship-near-142941824.html?.tsrc=lgwn

photo here.....http://www.tradewindsnews.com/

reports saying that all crew are safe and were rescued by Indian coastguard and nearby vessels.

Offline smithy166

• Oceangoing OOW (STCW II/1)
  • Quite a regular
  • In a hole.
    • View Profile

https://twitter.com/nalam65/status/346638113227014144/photo/1
She appears to have broken her back, and then "scissored" along the crack

https://twitter.com/nalam65/status/346637651635482624/photo/1
The crack/crease
Enough torque to restart a dead planet! OOW with an unlimited CoC looking for work. :)

Offline victor radio74

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Is it in English the word BUMP appropriated for this case?  ;D I guess a lot of discussions to came

Offline ozzy76

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Captain Ted has been talking about such things very recently

Offline ozzy76

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
I'm glad the crew got off safely. I wonder will they have to salvage this ship..Is the wreck in a sea lane..And what of pollution, what nasty stuff is in those containers..I guesss the heavy fuel will solidify when it's not heated. and won't cause too much trouble.

Offline ozzy76

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
What will happen to the other ships that are in this class such as MOL Courage .
And I guess APL, must be feeling pretty relieved as these were APL ships up till 2012.

Is this the biggest container ship to be lost ???  At sea.

Offline SteKrueBe

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Well, up to now it isn't lost. But if it will go to the bottom, than i would assume it the largest box ship loss ever.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
@ ozzy

yes,,I said something in that line,,breaking apart etc,, in conjunction with the bigger and bigger boxers.
Anyone who worked on a container ship knows that "NOBODY" in the port gives anything on bendings and torsions :DURING: loading and discharging. They may be perfect allright during
departure or arrivel, but sure not in ports, also when stability criterias and bending and torsions are in port more relaxed for obvious reasons. But when one sees that on big boxers has six or more gantries working, then it is also clear that nobody is even :ABLE: to pay attention to the bending and torsions anymore. If they would load as per regulations and really adhere to the limitations then the loading and discharging time easily would double. That cost money.......  no need to say more.
As long money ONLY runs the show,,the show must go on

Good that the crew got off !!!
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
To keep a sense of perspective, there are over 1,000 post-panamax containerships in the World fleet, sailing on the high seas every day without incident. Accidents will never be completely eradicated whilst there is scope for human error. However, this is only the second incident of it's kind to happen to a large container ship. The safety record speaks for itself.

Brgds
Phil

Offline SteKrueBe

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
I remember, that the ships of this class were the first ones to be built with YP47 high tensile steel. I assume that this point might turn out to be of special interest during the coming investigation.
Brgds,
Stefan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk