Author Topic: The new edition of ocean ships  (Read 7455 times)

Offline peter fox

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
The new edition of ocean ships
« on: May 29, 2013, 01:59:18 PM »
Hello
      I got the new edition of ocean ships today by Dr Allan Ryszka-Onions who puts his pictures in shipspotting as do i,one reason i buy this book is for the photos and they are awful all blurred and a few missing,i dont know if its been rushed to get out or what,ARO takes good pictures as you see in here. Chris Brooks also takes good photos but his photos in this book are also rubbish,im sure alot of work goes into this book but for the price dont buy it or the photos.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The new edition of ocean ships
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 02:24:07 PM »
That's a real shame. However, I'm sure that it has nothing to do with Allan as his photos are top-notch and can rarely be faulted. Perhaps it's a matter of keeping keeping printing costs down.

I'm somewhat suprised that Ocean Ships is still published. As a youngster, I remember waiting eagerly for each new edition, then edited by Bert Moody. I would be in awe of all the marvellous photos taken from ports all over the World, in those days all black & white of course, but of superb quality. Back then, there wasn't much else containing current fleet lists and photos. However, in today's digital age it does seem rather irrelevant to have such a book when you have sites such as shipspotting.com and a wealth of up-to-the minute data at your fingertips.

Still, I hope it enjoys some success and all credit to Allan for his first go at it.

Brgds
Phil
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 02:25:45 PM by Phil English »

Offline PaulTarrant

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 02:30:30 PM »
There would appear to be a problem with the quality control with this latest edition, the photographs in my copy are up to their usual standard but, as mentioned, some are missing with just a blank box or a tiny portion of the photo appearing.  I personally buy the book to keep the sequence running and for reference but use the ST Publications books for recording my sightings (excuse the plug!!)

Paul

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 04:26:57 PM »
Hi Guys

I think I should post a first response.  This 16th edition was the first one that has not been printed in-house; it was printed in Estonia.   The 3 missing pictures were all present and correct in the proofs that I saw - I have no idea what happened after that. I am also aware that a couple of late additions made to the text after I had proof read it, produced errors in the final printing including the mis-spelling of McKinney and part of the names of Rio and Brasil being put in the 'year of build' column.  That'll teach me to try to add anything at a late stage in any future edition.  I think it's fair to say that as this is my first time editing the book I am not very happy with the result.

Regarding the pictures, IA still required them to be submitted in 6 x 4 print form for this edition, as in previous editions, not as you might expect in jpeg form, which I am certain would give clearer reproduction, but then only as good as the resolution of the printing machine.  They have been worse in some previous editions.

On the other hand, there is far more information in this new addition, IMO numbers, cargo capacities etc and many new companies not appearing previously.  With this additional information and four years of up-dating it was a monumental task and I hope it will provide at least some enjoyment for its readers.   

Regarding Phil's point, yes I agree, but for that you need to be at your computer,tablet or whatever; there is still something more tangible about a book, in the same way that a colour slide always seems more real that a digital pic.  And don't forget, some people still do not have computers and many people, like Paul, like to collect 'the series'; and of course there is also the possibility that in time OS may be made available in e-book form.

Allan   

Offline PaulTarrant

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 04:46:21 PM »
Thanks Allan for your prompt response and I, and I'm sure all others, appreciate the hours of midnight oil that you must have burned in producing OS. Dare I say "now what about Coastal Ships & Ferries?"  !!!!!!!!!!  I'll get my coat!

Paul

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 09:25:56 PM »
Thanks Allan for your prompt response and I, and I'm sure all others, appreciate the hours of midnight oil that you must have burned in producing OS. Dare I say "now what about Coastal Ships & Ferries?"  !!!!!!!!!!  I'll get my coat!

Paul

'British Coastal Ships, Tugs & Trawlers' 1975 edition edited by Gilbert Mayes... now that was a seminal book in my early years, still refer to it today. Mind you, a current version would be somewhat slimmer, especially in the trawlers section!

Haven't seen the latest Ocean Ships but congratulations to Allan for ensuring that the tradition carries on, even if there have been a few hitches with his first attempt. And as one that deals with shipping data all day on a p.c. screen have to agree 100% that there is something more tangible and comforting about holding a book. Best of luck with it.

Best Regards
John J.
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline Rexroth

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 02:33:10 PM »
Allan has been badly let down by a greedy publisher. I have sent my copy back and been refunded. And I see that one of the mail order booksellers is refusing to sell the book.

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 02:45:33 PM »
Not the usual quality expected of Ian Allen. Allan Ryszka-Onions put many hours into this edition only to be let down.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk