Author Topic: accident in the port of GENOVA....  (Read 24699 times)

Offline David Meare

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Re: accident in the port of GENOVA....
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 10:48:17 PM »
@Davy; your link took me to a collector page with a bunch of page options, rather than the event-specific page that I think you were hoping to post...

Of course, since I can't read Italian, I couldn't go any further from there!

The link works okay for me. After the collector page opens up, a screen opens and a video is played.

Offline acimoto

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 05:36:18 AM »
hi, i am italian and i want tell you some things.
IT IS ON ITALIAN NEWSPAPERS THAT:

1) TELEGRAPH BETWEEN BRIDGE AND ENGINE ROOM NOT WORKING (USING WALKIE TALKIE)

2) RPM ENGINE INDICATORS ON WINGS NOT WORKING

3) THE PILOT TOLD TO THE CAPTAIN THAT HE CANNOT SEE WATER MOVING CAUSED BY SHIP'S PROPELLER.

4) THE JOLLY NERO CREW TOLD THAT THE ENGINE STARTED

5) BEFORE HIT THE TOWER THE PILOT TOLD TO THE TUGS "I HAVE NO ENGINE!"

6) LINEA MESSINA OWNER TOLD THAT RPM INDICATORS :o NOT IMPORTANT BECAUSE USING WALKIE TALKIE

SOURCES:
http://shippingonline.ilsecoloxix.it/p/armatori_e_cantieri/2013/05/12/APBa2yVF-velocita_tragedia_inchiesta.shtml

LINEA MESSINA, 30 YEARS MYSTERIES http://www.ilfattoquotidiano.it/2013/05/08/jolly-nero-maledizione-della-messina-30-anni-di-ombre-misteri-e-incidenti/587053/

Offline acimoto

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 03:24:05 PM »
Jolly Nero made a sudden turn to port, see http://www.localizatodo.com/mapa/?zoom=15&latitud=44.40281&longitud=8.924238&pais=it&tipo=3&presenta=0&zlat=44.4&zlng=8.9167&zcalc=10&ztalc=180&zplay=0&year=2013&mes=5&dia=7&zhora=20&zminu=0&UTC=1
not to port, the ship was moving ASTERN, because she passed throught the channel backward because the pilot want to turn the vessel in the larger area in the port of GENOA. JOLLY NERO hitted the pilot tower with portside stern.

Offline cesarloque

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 06:04:48 PM »
Jolly Nero made a sudden turn to port, see http://www.localizatodo.com/mapa/?zoom=15&latitud=44.40281&longitud=8.924238&pais=it&tipo=3&presenta=0&zlat=44.4&zlng=8.9167&zcalc=10&ztalc=180&zplay=0&year=2013&mes=5&dia=7&zhora=20&zminu=0&UTC=1
not to port, the ship was moving ASTERN, because she passed throught the channel backward because the pilot want to turn the vessel in the larger area in the port of GENOA. JOLLY NERO hitted the pilot tower with portside stern.

You're absolutely right

You can see the real simulation at this link, with all the waypoints and true heading

The tug GENUA not send heading

http://www.localizatodo.com/mapa/?zoom=15&latitud=44.40281&longitud=8.924238&pais=it&tipo=1&presenta=0&zlat=44.4&zlng=8.9167&zcalc=10&ztalc=150&zplay=0&year=2013&mes=5&dia=7&zhora=20&zminu=30&UTC=1&mmsi3=247170400&mmsi2=247204000&mmsi=247185400

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=oXWbk-00Qhk

Offline Timsen

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 07:29:23 PM »

Offline JohnMcNeely

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 05:45:19 AM »
Was there any fatal injuries in the Italy ship wreck? By the pictures out there..the ship looks devastated and completely ruined. I wish no casualties took place.

Offline Pier Master

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • The Pier Master
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 12:31:53 PM »
A brief reply would be that about 7 people were killed from the VTS tower and the ship escaped with scratches.
Blistering barnacles...

Offline PHa

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 01:14:38 PM »
A brief reply would be that about 7 people were killed from the VTS tower and the ship escaped with scratches.

Look at the scratches:

http://www.das-floss-der-medusa.de/assets/plugindata/w2dblg27f385f47b1f66b954e7dd7614e0d890/pic1368710031.jpg
Copyright: Foto AR/Studio6/LaPresse

Regards Peter
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 02:00:16 PM by Peter Hartung »

Offline Pier Master

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • The Pier Master
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2013, 10:04:44 AM »
Thanks for the link Peter, like I said...'scratches' to the ship and not devastated...what is devastating is the death of all those people that do the same job as me!
Blistering barnacles...

Offline JohnMcNeely

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2013, 04:36:09 AM »
Quite unfortunate out there..must have been a lot of damage.

Offline acimoto

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2013, 08:02:58 PM »
Jolly Nero captain said: i" want to speak, but :-X i want to continue to work on board".
Yesterday Jolly Nero shift from investigating area to Linea Messina Terminal.
The vessel HAD AGAIN ENGINE :-\ PROBLEMS and was towed by tugs.
Here link to italian newspaper
http://genova.repubblica.it/cronaca/2013/06/07/news/jolly_nero_il_comandante_rompe_il_silenzio-60556450/

Offline smithy166

• Oceangoing OOW (STCW II/1)
  • Quite a regular
  • In a hole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2013, 09:13:58 PM »
So, according to that news article, the Italian authorities want to do the following:
-Bring charges against the owner of administrative liability arising from neglect of workplace safety.
-Bring charges against the C/o and 3/o for multiple manslaughter because they didn't note that the "Taco" was broken in the logbook.
-Bring charges of multiple manslaughter against the Commanding officer and pilot.

Why, I ask, are they pressing charges against the C/o and 3/o for not noting something in the logbook when, in all fairness, it was the engines that caused all the trouble? Surely the engineers should be made to answer for why they allowed both engines to fail simultaneously?

Interesting to note that investigators found that one of the telegraphs was broken during inspection...
Enough torque to restart a dead planet! OOW with an unlimited CoC looking for work. :)

Offline seaway7228

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2013, 03:58:26 AM »
All the foregoing chat appears to be regarding the incident and the causes thereof, speculative and otherwise. The point that struck me was the proximity of a tower so close to the working harbour. I guess there are harbours with this tower arrangement elsewhere but to me as some one working in the safety side of the related industry, I cannot help but wonder why no one considered that vessels and humans are prone to occasional failures before electing to build within the overhang area of a vessels flared bow. It is comforting knowing that in general airport control towers are not hard up against the runway perimeters and in most ports the control towers are set back and usually adorn tall buildings. Perhaps the Port authorities are pondering this same question and I would be somewhat shocked if they elected to re build in a similar location.

From time to time shore cranes are knocked over so there is a precedent to this case.

Offline acimoto

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 01:37:39 PM »
All the foregoing chat appears to be regarding the incident and the causes thereof, speculative and otherwise. The point that struck me was the proximity of a tower so close to the working harbour. I guess there are harbours with this tower arrangement elsewhere but to me as some one working in the safety side of the related industry, I cannot help but wonder why no one considered that vessels and humans are prone to occasional failures before electing to build within the overhang area of a vessels flared bow. It is comforting knowing that in general airport control towers are not hard up against the runway perimeters and in most ports the control towers are set back and usually adorn tall buildings. Perhaps the Port authorities are pondering this same question and I would be somewhat shocked if they elected to re build in a similar location.

From time to time shore cranes are knocked over so there is a precedent to this case.

I agree 100% with The wrong pilot tower position. Is the disaster reason. After that i don't understand (i understand maybe) how possible Jolly Nero has permission to sail. PSC etc. Watch the yesterday departure clip http://www.ilsecoloxix.it/p/genova/2013/06/12/AP562ijF-lasciato_jolly_genova.shtml

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk