Author Topic: Josephine Maersk and Spring Glory collision  (Read 9182 times)

Offline Lexor

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
Josephine Maersk and Spring Glory collision
« on: May 03, 2013, 03:43:23 PM »

A marine accident report has been issued on May 3, 2013 by the Danish Maritime Accident Investigation Board (www.dmaib.com) covering the June 5, 2012 Josephine Maersk and Spring Glory collision in the eastern approaches to the Singapore Strait.

The 29 pages report in English show a wide variety of interesting radar images and reveal lack of bridge discipline and training.

Link: http://www.dmaib.dk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Rapporter/SPRING_GLORY_JOSEPHINE_MAERSK_2012.pdf

Cheers, Lexor

Offline Jochen Wegener

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Josephine Maersk and Spring Glory collision
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 08:19:13 AM »
Thank you,Lexor, a very instructive report indeed.
rgds Jochen

Offline Michal-S

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 06:05:39 AM »
Makes your hair stand on end! Contemporary "standards" of navigation though.

Offline victor radio74

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 09:17:58 AM »
Thanks a lot Lexor for this unvaluable report. It confirms what Capt. Ted has pointed out many times about the moderm navigational procedures
Best regards

Offline Derell Licht

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 09:32:41 PM »
The item which struck me most in all this, was the watch officer on Spring Glory, not doing anything because "he hoped things would turn out well", in particular that the other vessel would turn aside, even though his was the "give way" vessel... I wonder if he was ever actually aware of that fact?  Nothing of the sort is mentioned in the report.

I'm not a sailor, but if I was getting ready to enter an intersection (in a car), and someone on my right was also approaching the same intersection, I can't think of *any* reason why I would ever just proceed, and hope that things would "turn out well"...
Not all those who wander are lost...

Offline SteKrueBe

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 08:13:23 AM »
Yepp! To run over intersections without paying attention to traffic regulations and to ignore it's own duties as a "give way" vessel, solely in the hope that everything will turn out well - both is simply a common practice in certain parts of the world.
Brgds,
Stefan

Offline Michal-S

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 12:19:48 PM »
Although the Singapore Strait is by far the most congested sea lane in the World, such a rogue bridge practice is becoming more and more frequent and common anywhere. More gadgets - less brainwork.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk