Author Topic: 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Atlantic events  (Read 11389 times)

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Atlantic events
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 08:36:58 PM »
HMS Edinburgh and HMS Blyth departed as scheduled. The departure of HMS Illustrious has been delayed until 0400 hrs on Tuesday 14.05.13 due to high winds. Apparently it is anticipated that Illustrious will be passing Gravesend at approx. 0600 hrs.

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 11:22:02 PM »
Does anybody have any idea about the plans for Liverpool?
I know 21 ships of a multitude of different nations are due to arrive beginning 23rd May but I was wondering about times, berths etc.
Kelvin

Offline Jon Godsell

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 01:31:50 PM »
HMS Edinburgh will be berthed in Cammell Lairds wet basin which will be open to the public.

Three will be on the stage plus THV Patricia, the rest will in various docks with HMS Bulwark in Canada I expect.

JG

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 02:57:18 PM »
Thanks Alan & Jon.
I am not too sure about the reference to the Albert & Canning docks in the news article.
How are the locks there these days? I know some of them are filled in and others are very narrow. Mind you, I suppose minesweepers could get in there.
I wonder how many ships will end up on the Birkenhead side? There's absolute acres of unused space there. I suppose they would be looking for security though and there's none of that in Birkenhead; all the docks are open.
I think it will be Perch Rock for the departure then!
Cheers
Kelvin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk