Author Topic: Deletions again  (Read 14477 times)

Offline phantom53

• Quite a regular
  • Little old me
    • View Profile
Deletions again
« on: April 25, 2013, 01:02:26 PM »
I'm sorry to bring up the deletion subject again, but after browsing the site again i see more "old photos" being allowed to stay, when they clearly break the site rules and standards, and are being allowed because their "old".
I'm sure that there are many enthusiastic members that have had much better and new photos removed, and just as many that much prefer their own and others newer ships, than the constant stream of old scanned slides/negatives/pictures.
I'm not decrying these, but i do when they are shown preferential treatment, and at the expence of perfectly good recent photos.
Should be one rule for all, not for some.
This post is not aimed at any individual, just the admin rules. And is not posted to upset anyone that has posted "old photos"
Richard
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 01:19:20 PM by phantom53 »

Offline itsfoto

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Deletions again
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 02:24:56 PM »
Phantom53 may have a point, however, the standard of acceptable photos 50 years ago was often considerably lower than what we can expect today. Modern equipment, even for little money, offers color, decent sharpness, zoom, etc. and - most important - ease-of-handling. "Old" photos should therefore be allowed a little more leeway, even if the tip of the bow might be invisible (or whatever other minor blemish there might be).
Purists and modernists will certainly cry murder, though.

cheers

Uwe

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 02:27:41 PM »
I can agree with you on this, partly.

Partly, because I can not judge, whether old photos are less prone to deletions than new ones. I only know, when there is just ONE photo of a ship existing here, and it is the only one and in bad quality, than they are keeping it.

However, I find it disturbing, to find here more and more scanned photos from various sources, libraries etc. Scanning and uploading old Press- and Libraryphotos has really not much to do with the title of this website "Shipspotting". So I wonder, why this is tolerated by moderators ? Shipspotting itself, has simply not to do much with scanning photos, or do I look at the whole thing from the wrong point ?

Of course here comes the problem: Many of these very vintage photos, back then, there were not such folks like we have now calling themselfes "shipspotters". Due to lack of technology and lack of money of most people. Of course, most photos then were made by press, shipping companies. Only a few old seafarers were also portraying the ships on their voyages. Lack of technology did also provide photos, that were back then better than just good, but today, not good enouch, but by uploadiing scans of old photos - one photo of one ship, in bad quality, can stay here  ;D

It is of course my opinion and I do wonder, what the majority of this, thinks here ?

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 02:36:41 PM »
Dont we have the "Older and other photos to be retained on site", for these?

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 05:23:28 PM »
I don,t have a big problem with either, old or new. What bothers me much more that also single shot photo,s, no other on this site or anywhere else, are deleted. I had recently a lot of ships (mainly wrecks) which were posted in the MYSTERY section, deleted for the sole reason that they were not indentified. There will be of most of them no picture ever again.
But then,  honestly what is the point to post the EMMA MAERSK for 375th time ?
I think the word "spotting" is long time gone on this site in that matter.

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Sinisa Aljinovic

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 06:05:50 PM »
I agree with Captain Ted,what bothers myself is upload of photos of the same vessel by the same photographer by "65 times" policy.No matter if photos were taken earlier in perfect conditions.Just get it again and again whenever it call. :'( ???

Offline Richard Paton

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 07:52:22 PM »
Perhaps rename the site ShipPhotoArchive.com  :P

Offline phantom53

• Quite a regular
  • Little old me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 08:07:25 PM »
"Perhaps rename the site ShipPhotoArchive.com"
Maybe not such a bad idea, start a sister site for ships 20 years old or classified as dead.
That way people that love to post and look at the old stuff can do so with impunity.
And the rest of us can get on with "shipspotting"

Offline Kyle Stubbs

• Top Poster
  • Something something Danger Zone.
    • View Profile
    • Puget Ships
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 10:42:31 PM »
"Perhaps rename the site ShipPhotoArchive.com"
Maybe not such a bad idea, start a sister site for ships 20 years old or classified as dead.
That way people that love to post and look at the old stuff can do so with impunity.
And the rest of us can get on with "shipspotting"

Looking at it that way, however, would we have to migrate all photos taken five years ago of vessels that have since been scrapped? Or can they stay, but I can't post a picture I took five years ago of a vessel that is now dead? Or, if one still can do that, can you draw a line between that five year old picture, and one that is ten, or twenty years old?

Since this site has existed as a place for all manners of "spotted" ships, whether they are the newest on the seas, aging survivors, or long-gone vessels from someone's collection. Why change? The site accepts all photos of ships, from all times, as long as they meet certain standards for quality, and the member has permission to post them.

Of course some slip through the cracks, posted without permission, or not quite up to the standards, but, wouldn't any site where members are free to upload with immediate posting suffer these problems? Stricter sites can have daily posting limits, and sometimes turn away, it seems, 9 out of 10 pictures. Less strict sites acan be filled with distant shots of barely distinguishable ships.

And sure, the site could operate differently, but why change and alienate a few in order to appease a different few? If you want a site with a vastly different set of standards and mission, you can go find one, or start your own. If you want to stay here due to this site's merits, you are also free to do that.

Regards,
Kyle

*Any views expressed in this forum are purely my own and are not to be taken as representative of those of the admin team or site owners.
"Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often." -Mark Twain

Offline Lars Brunkman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 11:01:26 PM »
I don't see any need for a sister site nor a change of name of this site. If you glance through the categories here you'll see that many ship types are divided into sub-categories based upon when the ships were built (and the size of them). Anyone who doesn't want to see old ships just have to stay out of those categories.

I have taken quite a lot of photos of ships in the 80s and early 90s. Ships passing Helsingborg or berthed in the harbours. Old photos, yes, but I still call that shipspotting. Personally I find it very interesting to look at older ships, but also new ones. To me shipspotting has no time limit. Whether the photos were taken today or thirty years ago it's stil shipspotting.

As for 375 photos of EMMA MAERSK. That may seem, and is, a lot of photos. But we need to keep in mind that anyone who takes photos of this ship also would want to upload some of them. And why not? To somewhat keep the number of photos down I suggest a reduction of the number of photos alloed to upload. Today we can upload six photos of the  same ship taken on the same occasion. This could be rduced to two with the exception of photos of ships interior and such.

We've already had the discussion of old vs new ships. Let
Lars

Offline samson46

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 11:22:28 PM »
I fully concur with Mr Brunkman's idea of limiting to two the number of shots of a ship's passing. More than that is often deadly boring to the viewer and serves only the egoes of members playing the numbers (of posts) game. As our friend in Norway tells us: "Post quality, not quantity". Just my personal view!

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 07:25:53 AM »
I think, the site should not be diverted into something 0ld/new ships. There is space of all here. And, standing on shore or onboard and taking photos of every day shipping life happend in almost all times, and there are many interesting photos uploaded here from all decades.

I did point out, that press-photos made for publishing are not really having much to do with shipspotting, such like uploading scans from newspaper archives and such, this was the point I was making, unfortunatelly some of you did not read what I wrote but interpret it into some "old vs. new" thing  :-\

I think too, some mercy should be given to photos from decades ago when it comes to quality.
I would favour, when someone does upload photos, that are not own, that stating clearly that someone has the personal permit from the source, the photo comes from. Some people state exactly where they have the photo from and they have permission to, but some only write "photo RV" or something and it does look a bit iffy to me.

I think, it would be o.k. if it is not 6 photos but 4 photos that can be uploaded of the same ship at some time. Though, I disagree, uploading 6 photos of one ship is not done for the uploader's ego but for showing the ships from all sides, because a ship has not only one side  ;D So all sides need to be shown  ;D ;D (That is a bit personal here, I have been living in Switzerland for the past years and travelling far for shipspotting, I was very happy to see any ship and of course it had to be photographed and shown from all sides because it takes weeks/months to see a ship next time).

Offline phantom53

• Quite a regular
  • Little old me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 09:21:05 AM »
Right!! you seem to be missing the point here, my beef is with deletions.
I've had photos that in my opinion are perfectly good(or i would'nt have posted them), that got deleted, and old photos that are really bad and still make it through.
And my point is site standards should be for the whole site, regardless. Not give certain areas better treatment.
As to the comment i made about a new site was just a flippant gesture. but i see it seems to have stirred up a bit of a hornets nest.

Offline Klaus_D

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 04:35:09 PM »
Can not the members vote about which pictures can be deleted.
The moderator put the pictures in a special group. If then, for example, 200 members say that the image is bad, it will be deleted unless the owner of the image may explain why it should not be deleted.

Greatings to all
Klaus_D

Offline Lars Brunkman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 05:52:37 PM »
Phantom Richard,

Site standards is for the whole site with some amount of leeway given to old(er) photos. And rightfully so IMHO. Photos taken using film is, in general, of a somewhat lower quality than digital photos. Yes, there is old photos of great quality but most of them are of lower quality (I have a lot of those :D)

When I look at old photos the quality doesn't bother me that much. I don't expect them to be as good as digital photos (though there is quite a few low quality digital photos around). Time takes it toll on old photos, be it slides or print, and negatives. We can try to retouch them, but it's almost impossible to bring them back to the original quality. And it takes a lot of time to do just one photo.

However, I do agree with you when it comes to 1) photos that could have been better had some work been done to them, and 2) sloping horizons. Some photos here have clearly been just scanned, saved and uploaded with absolutely nothing done to them like rotate to straighten a sloping horizon. Why some people aupload such photos I do not know. If you have a scanner you also have software to do these things with.

When it comes to retaining photos of lesser quality there is a number of reasons for doing that. For example:

1) Only photo of this ship on the site
2) Only photo of the ship under this name

Regards
Lars

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk