Author Topic: Admins list  (Read 13413 times)

Offline Adi Man

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Admins list
« on: March 24, 2013, 11:22:55 AM »
Recently increased the number of deleted photos to outrage of many old users. I propose that the admins to be elected among users of this site who have posted at least 1000 pictures.
Would be useful also a list of all admins and their activity, not normally someone who posted 300 photos to delete pictures of an old user with 3000 for example

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
Re: Admins list
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 11:38:06 AM »
Is it not better just to post pictures that is according to the sites standards?
I understand your point, but when it comes to deletions, 99 % of the pictures are not up to the sites standards

(this is my view, i am not an admin, hardly a photographer)

Offline tvtech

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 11:59:25 AM »
Hi.

The same on Forums everywhere. Always an Idiot that does everything by the book and has no passion for anything except their Position...

Being flexible about stuff and rules comes with age/experience. Rules are there for a reason.

Does not mean that they cannot be flexed when certain outstanding photo's are uploaded here for us all to see....and an Idiot decides they do not up to site standards...

Same on all Forums. Appoint Knowledgeable, flexible Mod's. Problem solved.

tvtech

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 12:13:35 PM »
I don't see how the amount of uploaded photos should be one of the criterions to select one member for admin's job over another one who has less photos.
There are members with few photos, yet they supply IMOs, ship infos, point out the inaccuracies, see more photos per day here than any admin.
Regards,
Denis

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 12:16:25 PM »
Derek

It seems tvtech had been a 'member' for nearly a year now, has not uploaded any photos and this is his first comment.  So I think a 'pinch of salt' should be added.  He is probably representative of the people that contribute nothing positive, but take the odd opportunity to stir up the shxx.

Allan

Offline B.Clark

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 12:33:49 PM »
I think all the mods deserve all the backing they can get, well done to them

Offline Adi Man

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 01:58:54 PM »
Hello Derek,

The truth is probably somewhere in between. Although we want all photos to be beautiful, we all know that often can not.
Is easy to delete but if you can not put something in place ? In case of old ships to be demolished soon would be wrong to be deleted the pictures that do not meet the site rules, others may not be posted

Offline peter j. fitzpatrick

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 03:05:53 PM »
Hello Derek / ken
Deletions again !
I too have had photos deleted and argued about them on this site to no avail
The site has set a good standard for the photos it shows and should stick to the rules
I think if someone has a complaint instead of starting threads maybe you should deal with it via e mail to the person who makes the complaint
That way it keeps the problem in house rather than letting other members read the problems
As it has been said before post quality photos , clear , sharp ,level horizon and there then cannot be a problem
My regards
Peter j.fitzpatrick

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 11:35:49 PM »
On this forum the admins all are flexible and have passion.
Derek

Derek's words above are the truest spoken on this subject. Unless you are an admin on this site you do not know all of the background discussion, agonising and thought that goes into every decision. To rubbish all of that is downright rude. Sure, sometimes there will be arguably incorrect decisions made, but as Derek has said to err is human.

I strongly disagree with many of my fellow admins' decisions on occasion, but we are never all going to agree over everything. Considering this is a free site I think the 'bunch of amateurs' giving up their free time to keep the site in some kind of order on the whole works very well.

If anybody feels strongly against it, well there's always the option to go elsewhere.

Regards
John J.
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline Magogman

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://magogman.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 04:38:11 AM »
Do we need to have this discussion again?  The topic has been beaten to death many times but it seems to recur every now and then. 

Having a few photos deleted is not the end of life on earth as we know it.  I have had over 500 deleted but I still support the admins although at one time I thought the end of the free world was near.

Magogman has spoken.  Again.
My blog with narrative and more photos is located at:
http://magogman.blogspot.com

read the introduction and also there are about 5 different blogs of ships and railroads

Offline Sinisa Aljinovic

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 09:22:31 AM »
Yes,we need to talk about this again because new members are coming on daily basis.Not many of them read or follow the rules,reckon.They just dump out photos and run away then administrator must clean behind. :'(

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 10:39:42 AM »
Simple.....ALL new members should read the site rules, and understand what is expected of them, before they start loading their photos.   This site should not be treated as a dumping ground for rubbish.   As Tomas famously says, post quality not quantity.

Allan

Offline Lars Brunkman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 11:32:01 AM »
To bring this thread (somewhat) back to the initial topic: a list of admins. I don't see any need fr such a list. If a photo is deleted it doesn't really matter who did it. It would, however, be interesting to know if we have any possibility to appeal the verdict, and, if so, how we go about doing that.

On the subject of lists. A far more useful, and helpful, list would be one of the various reasons for deletion. Yes, I know most of them can be found in the FAQ, but as Sinisa pointed out many new members don't bother reading the FAQ. There also seems to be some new, or altered, criteria for deletion not covered by the FAQ.

A new partition to this forum could be set up and used by the administration to post news and updates to the site as well as additions to and alterations of the regulations for deletions.
Lars

Offline Lars Brunkman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 05:29:16 PM »
Thanks Ken.

Regards
Lars

Offline tvtech

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile