Author Topic: 1/400 GTS Finnjet  (Read 10725 times)

Offline bncrew

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
1/400 GTS Finnjet
« on: March 18, 2013, 11:43:44 PM »
Well here is my completed model of GTS Finnjet, love the history behind this ship, and as ever had great fun building it, heres a few pics. Anyone aware of any other 1/400 model ships I can get, I always used 1/1200 scale but fancy more 1/400, so far I have the titanic (obviously), esso glasgow, some freight ship (that has not arrived yet), hmhs britannic and obviously the Finnjet. Anyone know what other 1/400 models are available anywhere for reasonable money?

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: 1/400 GTS Finnjet
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 01:07:58 AM »
Shouldn't the lower part of the propellers be a bit below the baseline?

Offline bncrew

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 02:52:23 AM »
it is very possible however i didnt deviate from the instructions so it turned out as per the instructions

Offline kyle pesely

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 02:57:17 AM »
bncrew:

if youre looking for passenger ships, Revell Germany also makes a 1/400 kit of the Queen Mary 2, and just last year released a 1/400 AIDAdiva/bella/luna that have both recieved good reviews. im not sure your location but they can be had for roughly $80-$120 USD, depending on where you buy them from.

ive built the QM2 kit and i can personally attest that it is an extremely well thought out and executed kit, and everything fit together quite well, with very very little trimming and shimming needed. todays models are made with precision molds that are cut by machine, unlike the kits of old....
 i havent built the AIDA yet, but i have no reason to believe its quality is anything below the QM. 

if you want kits other than just pax boats, just google "1/400 plastic ship kits" and youll find plenty...

and nicely done with Finnjet. she was quite a lady and will not soon be forgotten :)
ive built that kit before, and im sure we both share a mutual frustration with some of the part fitment lol

kyle

Offline bncrew

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 02:57:00 PM »
hi kyle, thanks for getting back to me, yep some of the part fitment on the finnjet was extremely frustrating to say the least, i just googled the other ones you suggested, the aida is excellent looking, and i found a place in dublin that will sell me both models together (qm and aida) for 80 euro, they should keep me busy for a little while, think im going to need a bigger house :)

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 04:21:56 PM »
Very nice, but for such a big model I would have expected the kit been more detailed & accurate.
Regards,
Denis

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 04:36:41 PM »
Perhaps a good idea, to buy another kit of the same ship, and make an improved version of "Finnjet" ? It is not very carefully built as I see, and has many flaws, and things which can be improved. I have built models too, and usually when doing a model twice, it turns out much better. As when finished, you see where you have been successful, and you see where you have built not so good. So, chance to improve !

Also, what always helps, not to get lost in simply glueing together: Never work without a collection of photos of the ORIGINAL ship ! It does help alot, too. Also if possible, look shipyard photos, it will also help your way along.

Some years ago there was a book issued about "Finnjetk", not sure it is still available. I went many times onboard from Travem

DanEarl

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 04:43:02 PM »
At the scale of 1/400 the model should only work out at 53.25cm when the vessel is 213 metres in length. A bit hard for extensive detail Denis !

Cheers, Dan.

Offline bncrew

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 07:16:14 PM »
i appreciate folks criticism etc, dan youre entirely right it is only 50cm or so long, it is hard for mega detail, also this kit has been known for issues with bits fitting together, there was a lot of sanding required to make it fit the way it is and to be honest i had to stop sanding any more as certain parts had become as thin as paper, to be honest im happy with the result

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 09:18:45 PM »
bncrew you are happy with the result, but can be done better, is better than being happy with result. Of course not well fitting parts are not nice. Perhaps, when too thin, did you try to "double" then with material from behind side ? It is usually a good way to give back stability.

Also I see, the black of the window, it is not very good work, you have been smearing the black a bit. It is hard to work detailed with paint, usually it does work very good if you are using a black permanent marker, when working such small scale  models. Tuomas has given you a good advice about placing propeller, he is a tech guy, and it is always good to get advice from those folks, and it is rare, too.

When you have tried this all, a very good source for ALL kinds of tricks, are the various model builder forums. The folks are sharing tricks, and it is very good to learn.

Keep on building :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk