Author Topic: Danio aground  (Read 29517 times)

Offline stantheman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Danio aground
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 08:23:04 PM »
What was that they were trying to tow her with?
The pilot boat?

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 09:28:30 PM »
What was that they were trying to tow her with?
The pilot boat?

That was the Seahouses Mersey Class lifeboat the Grace Darling 12-16
Mike

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group

Offline stantheman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 11:38:57 PM »
They couldn't have been serious about moving a grounded ship with the life boat could they? Certainly one would a few more horses that that would be necessary! ::)

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 10:55:06 AM »
I suppose the crew should just settle down for a boring wait. The tide will be around a metre higher on 26th March.
So that's another week's embarrassment for the Captain!

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 11:02:48 AM »
Reported attempted refloating awaiting more favourable tides/weather from 23/3.  Meanwhile master has ballasted her down for stability.  So far no reported leaks (bow damage purely local)

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 02:05:41 PM »
I would still bet on 26/27th March.
The tide on 23rd will not be a lot higher than it is currently but on 26th it is a metre or so higher. Added to that, the full moon is 27th March with spring tides around that date.

Offline Ancient Mariner

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, 03:11:55 PM »
It's been rather entertaining listening to what the media and website rumours have been reporting.
Complete bollo**s compared to what was actually happening for the most part.

DanEarl

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2013, 03:15:21 PM »
Has there been any official report as yet to determine the reason of the grounding ?

When I first heard about it and looked on Marinetraffic I saw that her course and speed never altered before hitting rock bottom.

Cheers, Dan.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2013, 04:18:04 PM »
Has there been any official report as yet to determine the reason of the grounding
No doubt MAIB will make an preliminary investigation, but not yet.  They can hardly begin that while the ship is aground and the crew aboard. I would expect that the protocols for safeguarding the on-board data have already been established.

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 07:36:36 PM »
I would still bet on 26/27th March.
The tide on 23rd will not be a lot higher than it is currently but on 26th it is a metre or so higher. Added to that, the full moon is 27th March with spring tides around that date.

Hi Kelvin

The tug Hemiksom which has been here for the last few days sheltering from a 6m swell but has left the Tyne this morning and is rumoured to be the one contracted to tow her off,so we may see some action very soon.

Hemiksom shows to have only a bollard pull of 40 tons which is not the greatest to say the least but we will see :)

Interesting point next 'if'/ when she comes off will be is to where they will take her, I suspect not far with that hole in her Starboard bow.

Mike
Mike

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 09:02:45 PM »

Hi Kelvin

The tug Hemiksom which has been here for the last few days sheltering from a 6m swell but has left the Tyne this morning and is rumoured to be the one contracted to tow her off,so we may see some action very soon.
Hemiksom shows to have only a bollard pull of 40 tons which is not the greatest to say the least but we will see :)
Interesting point next 'if'/ when she comes off will be is to where they will take her, I suspect not far with that hole in her Starboard bow.
Mike
[/quote]

Mike
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 09:45:31 PM by Mike »
Mike

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 09:44:38 PM »

Hi Kelvin

Mike

UPDATE:

Just seen Hemiksom has entered the Firth of Forth maybe on her way home to Rosyth, but also we now have a larger tug due in the Tyne on Saturday the Lomax, much bigger tug and has a bollard pull of 80 tons.

Mike
[/quote]
Mike

DanEarl

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2013, 09:50:51 PM »
One of my former tugs I worked on the KESTREL of J P Knights is also heading to Rosyth, but this was a pre planned trip, but you never know ...........

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1476160

Cheers, Dan.

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2013, 09:50:15 PM »

The tug Lomax left the Tyne this morning and has been lying off the Farnes all day, however probably due to very strong easterly winds and a big swell there was no action today.

Mike
Mike

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2013, 10:44:37 AM »
Guess that means Lomax will be even later in taking up the duties at Exxon Fawley.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk