Author Topic: "Salaam 98" dissapears from radar with 1300 passengers onboard  (Read 16211 times)

Offline Chris Hunsicker

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://hunsch1@tiscali.co.uk
Re: "Salaam 98" dissapears from radar with 1300 passengers onboard
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2006, 09:39:26 PM »
Rescuers search for ferry survivors
03/02/2006 19:09
By Tom Perry
SAFAGA, Egypt (Reuters) - A ferry carrying nearly 1,300 passengers, mainly Egyptians, sank in the Red Sea overnight between Saudi Arabia and Egypt, and rescuers pulled at least 45 dead bodies from the water, officials said on Friday.
Rescuers also plucked 185 survivors out of the sea, shipping company executive Mamdouh Radi told Nile News television.
As darkness fell, search and rescue boats were still bringing the dead and survivors back towards the Egyptian port of Safaga, where the 35-year-old ferry was meant to arrive at 2 a.m. (midnight British time) on Friday, security sources said.
General Mahfouz Taha, head of the Red Sea Ports Authority, said rescue efforts would continue in hope of finding more survivors. But another source close to the operations said: "There aren

Offline Hawkeye

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2006, 01:20:35 PM »
Hi Hunsch
Interesting report that you submitted. I had a quick look though it.
Just one fact that is not true. The bit about the sister ship, they were not sisters. The 'Pride of Al Salam 95' is one of the Free Enterprise class, built in Holland. She was the VI.
This ship had sisters, all built in Italy about two years before the FE VI.
Regards
Karl
 :-)

Offline Guus van den Bosch

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2006, 05:30:20 PM »
I just saw your forum news. As a matter of fact I did several dives on her a year later. But I friebnd of mine was hthere during that period and all the sportdivers in the neightbourhood where helping with salving the body,s. There where simply not enough navy divers.After a couple of days theu quit the job while they where acquised that they where robbing the body's. But later on there was proof that the navy people did it. I dived on het a year later , and found out that the bow door was broken open on the reef, whit she hits at the time of the accident. The wkole cargohold filled with water and she rolled over. She is now laying on the portside and there should be still around 500 corpses in her.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk