Author Topic: QE 2 is going for drydock  (Read 11466 times)

Offline Clive Harvey

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: QE 2 is going for drydock
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 10:40:28 PM »
Things appear to be moving fast, the QE2 was moved from her berth and went into the dry dock yesterday, 17th January.

Offline stantheman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 01:54:19 AM »
Which dry dock did she go into? and, is she sailing to China or being towed? :D

Offline Clive Harvey

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 09:10:29 AM »
She went into the dry dock in Dubai and it is my understanding that she will make her way to the Far East under her own power. She has, after all, been fully maintained and providing her own power ever since she arrived in Dubai. The dry docking is not just a hull scrape but is apparently all part of work to maintain her 'in class' - therefore as an operational ship. If as some people have speculated, she is just being made ready for a tow to the breakers yards then there would be no need for her to be maintained 'in class.'

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 09:43:32 AM »
Surely the same argument applies if, as per previous reports, she is going to Asia to be used as a floating hotel? There would be no need to maintain her "in class".
In fact, I would be surprised if the maintenance regime over the last few years, however good it may have been, would have been geared toward maintaining the ship as an ocean going liner.
Also, if you look at equasis, it shows the ship is not classed by any of the IACS member societies. So it would be a case of getting the ship surveyed and classified, not merely keeping her in class.

Offline Clive Harvey

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 10:09:32 AM »
All that I can share with you is what I have been told.
As for Equasis, I have learned from this very site that at times they aren't the most reliable source of information.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk