Author Topic: QE 2 is sold for scrap?  (Read 24780 times)

Offline Damien McCarthy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: QE 2 is sold for scrap?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »
The Cruise World (Bilngual) posted this recently:http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=318538088252526&set=a.181020555337614.33794.152384651534538&type=1&theater
so she may not be going for scrap all going well

Offline ozzy76

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 05:23:30 PM »

I wonder if the Chinese are buying it to learn how to build passenger ships.

When the Chinese were interested in acquiring and building aircraft carriers for their fleet
they bought decomissioned Russian Kiev class and a de comissioned Australian aircraft cariers ( the Melbourne-I think) They studied these designs and learnt whatever they could as they had no history of building operating these vessels at that time.

Since the Chinese are supposed to be building Titanic II  ; maybe this is a similar learning exercise. I t would fit and could explain why'd they'd pay over the odds.
Just a theory...but worth thinking about.
Slainte

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 01:39:43 PM »
Well, in today's Daily Mirror here in the UK, she is coming back to the Thames..... so it must be true  ;)

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2013/01/new-home-on-the-thames-for-qe2.html

Offline Kyle Larabee

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bobtrucker123
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 02:03:57 PM »
Well I hope it is true. And what they have planed for her look's nice.
She to good to be scraped.

Kyle

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 11:41:12 PM »
Well spotted Bob and as you say it 'must' be true if reported in one of our 'red sripes' ;),

Well, in today's Daily Mirror here in the UK, she is coming back to the Thames..... so it must be true  ;)

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2013/01/new-home-on-the-thames-for-qe2.html

I think I'll set up my tent by the Thames Barrier now just to make sure I don't miss her ;D There are some incredibly tall storys told which people seem to fall for. A bit like the rumour that the 'Pride of Dover' was being towed all the way to from Tilbury to Turkey to be re-engined and back again! People... get real for goodness sake!!

Best Regards
John J.
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline Robert Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 10:26:01 PM »
Well said John !

8)

Offline Petros Psarras

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • News about Piraeus
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 04:39:37 PM »
Once at Piraeus ,forever at Piraeus!

Offline Damien McCarthy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 08:34:30 PM »
These better not be true she is too beautiful and young to be scrapped

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 08:56:44 PM »
Reading a survey report on QE2 a year or two before she was sold shows that, internally, it was a shed! The list of defects was quite scary.
The worst parts were steelwork getting paper thin in places. Being in awkward places, these affected areas would have been very expensive to rectify. And if some areas are suffering from worn out steelwork, others must surely be close behind.
I would imagine that after a number of years alongside in Dubai, making virtually no money and therefore probably getting little or zero maintenance, the condition would now be a lot more iffy.
Sure, it was a nice looking ship but I think if I was the owner, I would be looking at weighing it in for the cash before it devalues any further. Scrap steel is worth a lot more than good looks!

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 10:11:15 PM »
Hi Kelvin

you heartless sod........but quite realistic !

Allan

Offline Ronald George Halliday

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2013, 10:55:11 PM »
If MSA involved with a ship that age, best direction eastwards. But you cannot deny it still

looks a modern ship, and it will always be remembered for its histories also. ::)

Offline samson46

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2013, 11:51:02 PM »
Kelvin: Your heartless realism has been a great antidote to the reams of sentimental mush that have been spouted on this site about the demise of this beautiful but now well-past-its-scrap-by-date, old ship
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 12:22:09 AM by samson46 »

Offline rd77

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2013, 07:48:19 AM »
Reading a survey report on QE2 a year or two before she was sold shows that, internally, it was a shed! The list of defects was quite scary.
The worst parts were steelwork getting paper thin in places. Being in awkward places, these affected areas would have been very expensive to rectify. And if some areas are suffering from worn out steelwork, others must surely be close behind.
I would imagine that after a number of years alongside in Dubai, making virtually no money and therefore probably getting little or zero maintenance, the condition would now be a lot more iffy.
Sure, it was a nice looking ship but I think if I was the owner, I would be looking at weighing it in for the cash before it devalues any further. Scrap steel is worth a lot more than good looks!

Kelvin,

From what I've heard, maintenance during her stay at Dubai has been quite good, but I doubt that the areas you mention have received a lot of attention. My prediction for the future of the QE2: either directly to Alang, or indirectly, with a failed hotel venture in either Singapore or China in between.

Offline rd77

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2013, 07:50:34 AM »
These better not be true she is too beautiful and young to be scrapped

YOUNG!??? she is 44 years old, well past retirement age. That's seriously, even for a passenger ship, which tend to last longer than average. The average economic lifetime of a ship is 25-30 years, and in the current climate, a lot of ships (container vessels and bulkers in particular) are going for scrap at less than 20 years old.

and beauty doesn't pay the maintenance bills unfortunately.

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2013, 11:11:01 AM »
Hmmm. How about Alang as a destination?
Read this article from a Dubai newspaper.
http://m.arabianbusiness.com/dubai-cans-160-qe2-events-as-it-decides-cruise-liner-s-final-fate-484910.html
What I found interesting was the comment from the boss of the company that had to cancel umpteen events planned for the ship. He mentions that his company had to start changing their plans to use the ship "4 or 5 months ago".
The comment from Cunard is also interesting, saying they have no right in comment on commercial decisions involving other parties. This, of course, is the same Cunard that recently commented on their having a say in the disposition of the ship written into the contract between them and the new owner when they sold the ship in the first place!
One QE2 fanatics web page refers to a "British ship, British company (Cunard), British flag".
How about the reality? A formerly British ship, US company (Carnival) and Vanuatu flag?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be!
Kelvin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk