Author Topic: Lyubov Orlova update  (Read 69550 times)

Offline Barry Dewling

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Newfoundland Shipping News
Re: Lyubov Orlova update
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2013, 04:37:54 PM »

Orlova adrift in international waters

CBC News

Posted: Feb 3, 2013 10:56 AM

Transport Canada says it will not pursue the drifting Lyubov Orlova since the ship has officially entered international waters.

A spokesperson said that the Orlova is no longer a threat to the safety of offshore oil platforms, its personnel, or the marine environment.

It is unlikely that the vessel will re-enter Canadian waters, given the current patterns and predominant winds.

According to Transport Canada, the vessel is located approximately 250 nautical miles east of St. John

Offline IRION29

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2013, 05:06:10 PM »
Typical response from Canadian Authorities.Ms Savitz call for Canada to take "Quick Action" is something not in their playbook.The've convenietly waited until the ship drifted into Int'l waters in order to wash their hands of the matter. Can't see this having a good outcome

Offline snocky

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2013, 06:56:38 PM »
Why should TRANSPORT CANADA be responsible for LYUBOV ORLOVA? Why should the taxpayers of canada be responsible for a ship that is owned & neglected by some foreigner out to make a quick buck?

Offline Paul Bradshaw

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2013, 11:49:32 PM »
All things considered, it seems like a very negligent thing for a first world government agency, whose mandate is safety, to allow to happen.

Mission statement: "To serve the public interest through the promotion of a safe and secure, efficient and environmentally responsible transportation system in Canada."

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 12:55:39 AM »
While I agree with you to a certain degree Paul. It is time all countries put a stop to these old tugs, not fit to be at sea towing these old ships to the scrap yard and when something happens they walk away.Case in point the MV Miner which is still high and dry on Scatari Island in Nova Scotia. Example 2 the tug Craig Trans currently sitting in Halifax.I don't think she is fit to do anything let alone tow another retired lake boat. I would say that is the very reason Transport Canada is taking this course of action.I can't say I blame them. It is high time the owners take responsibility for their property!!

Cheers
Jarrod

[color=0066FF]Jarrod David[/color][/b]

Offline kasco

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2013, 11:52:44 AM »
While I agree with you to a certain degree Paul. It is time all countries put a stop to these old tugs, not fit to be at sea towing these old ships to the scrap yard and when something happens they walk away.Case in point the MV Miner which is still high and dry on Scatari Island in Nova Scotia. Example 2 the tug Craig Trans currently sitting in Halifax.I don't think she is fit to do anything let alone tow another retired lake boat. I would say that is the very reason Transport Canada is taking this course of action.I can't say I blame them. It is high time the owners take responsibility for their property!!

Cheers
Jarrod

While I agree with you, surely this vessel can not be left to drift at will!

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2013, 05:02:41 PM »
I would like to hope they are taking precautions to safeguard shipping.I think the Govt of Canada is trying to get the owners to take responsibility for their property.It should not be left to the Governments of this world to pick up the mess afterwards.It retrospect the Charlene Hunt should never have been given the clearance to depart.

Offline Paul Bradshaw

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2013, 11:14:59 PM »
Didn't the Government of Canada just have some towing troubles?

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2013, 03:56:04 AM »
You are correct Paul it was the HMCS Athabaskan tow from Port Weller to Halifax..

Offline Barry Dewling

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Newfoundland Shipping News
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »

Orlova owner hopes to retrieve drifting vessel

CBC News

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 9:21 PM NT

The owner of the derelict and drifting cruise ship Lyubov Orlova said he knew it was a bad idea to attempt to move the ship from St. John's harbour almost two weeks ago.

Reza Shoeybi said he feared the courts might seize the Orlova before he had a chance to move it.

"We had to take a chance and get it out of here, because a lot of people didn't like to have it here," said Shoeybi. "And basically, it was either take it out of here or lose the ship."

Shoeybi is staying in St. John's aboard the tug boat Charlene Hunt, which failed to tow the Orlova to a scrap dealer in the Dominican Republic.

The Hunt managed to haul the Orlova out of the harbour on Jan. 23. A day later, the line between the tug and the Orlova snapped southeast of St. John's.

Shoeybi said Transport Canada has told him that he can't use the Charlene Hunt to retrieve the Orlova, so he hopes to find another vessel to catch up with it and bring it to the Dominican.

In international waters

Meanwhile, after another failed attempt to tow the vessel, Transport Canada has decided to leave the ship adrift in international waters.

The federal agency hired a vessel to tow the Orlova, but the line between the ships snapped on Friday, 20 minutes after the tow line was connected.

There were seven-metre-high waves and 140 kilometre-an-hour winds at the time.

Officials decided it was too dangerous to try to re-attach the line to the former Russian cruise ship in those high seas.

After the Orlova broke free of the Hunt on Jan. 24, it was picked up by the Atlantic Hawk, an oil industry supply vessel, on Jan. 30.

The Orlova was then transferred to the supply vessel hired by Transport Canada on Feb. 1.

Tracking device

The agency said there is a tracking device aboard the Orlova, and the ship was last reported to be drifting in a north-easterly direction.

Meanwhile, Transportation Safety Board officials have arrived in Newfoundland to investigate how the Orlova originally ended up adrift.

Offline Paul Bradshaw

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2013, 11:48:46 PM »
So, the Canadian Government finds it acceptable to turn their back on a private operator who find themselves in circumstances beyond their control, but if the Government are the operator than it is acceptable to dedicate enormous publicly funded resources to respond? I recognize the circumstances here, but I think there is more to this than this incident. Anyway, this turned out to be a great forum subject which I think has provided a positive environment for participation and an exchange of opinion and it has spurred some other valuable forums on the same subject.   

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2013, 03:13:40 AM »
Well said Paul!!

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2013, 06:03:39 PM »
Some more reports.
3 Feb:
http://tugfaxblogspotcom.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/lyubov-orlova-one-way-to-solve-problem.html
9 Feb: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013/02/09/abandoned_cruise_ship_drifts_out_of_canadian_waters.html
11 Feb:
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Local/2013-02-11/article-3174482/Owner-asks-government-to-help-find-drifting-ship/1

This lawyer's quote caught my eye in the Toronto Star piece: "Though the government was involved in the towing operation, the vessel is ultimately the responsibility of its owners, according to two lawyers. Clay Hunter, partner with Paterson MacDougall, LLP, likened the situation to this: If a car on a hill were to suddenly start accelerating down the hill, and a police officer tried to stop the car but failed, the police officer wouldn

Offline Damien McCarthy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2013, 09:49:58 AM »
Lyubov Orlova is out of control i'd she shouldv'e waited a day or two before leaving St.Johns

Offline Peter Ziobrowski

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ziobrowski.net
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2013, 02:04:04 AM »
She was found on the 19th north of the Flemish cap
http://blog.halifaxshippingnews.ca/2013/02/lyubov-orlova-spotted.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk