Author Topic: Awesome photos of the sinking of the Bounty during hurricane Sandy  (Read 4431 times)

Offline jdap

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Awesome photos of the sinking of the Bounty during hurricane Sandy
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 01:30:55 PM »
The USCG launched an investigation into the sinking and the reasons, special why the vessel left port and sailed into the storm instead of trying to avoid it. The Master was accordig sources experienced, but looking at what happened the experience with such weather situations one can/could question.
There was a special TV interview with the surving crew and one said that they were in years back already in two other heavy storms/hurricanes. If that is true, than I question myself how experienced those Masters really were who sailed her through the years. I as Master of a handysize bulker would do a lot to avoid a hurricane and they sail straight into it because " at sea is safer then in port" which to news agency the Master said ? !
Questionable to say the least
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline jdap

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 05:22:41 PM »
Deeply sorry, Ken, if my choice of words for the caption of my post hurt your feelings.

The use of the word "awesome" under the circumstances was merely in connection with the photos in the report of the incident, certainly not in relation with incident itself. To me those photos are "awesome", the incident itself is "tragic", or, like any other incident at sea, especially those in which lives were lost, is a minimum "unfortunate".

I hope this particular incident is subject to a thorough investigation, and that the thruth emerges, also in line with the observations by Captain Ted in the precedent post, with which I agree fully.

To sum it up, pardon my English.

Best regards,

Jose
(jdap)

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 10:21:42 PM »
I just read in the Tampa Tribune, the local newspaper, that the crew really said that they sailed through two HURRICANES before, that tells me as sailor, that whoever was then the Captain, was surely not doing his job. Nowadays with all those tech gimmicks for weather forecasts there is no reason whatsoever anymore to sail through a hurricane and whoever does it is either not a good Master or does not know what he is doing.
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Magogman

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://magogman.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 04:18:25 AM »
I can see how "awesome" could be used to describe the photos but here in the U.S. it is a very overused word, especially by young people who use it constantly to describe things that are less than awesome.

Perhaps dramatic might be a better word.

I have a professional knowledge of hurricanes and like others I am both amazed and appalled that the Bounty would sail into a hurricane.  I can only speculate that they were trying to slip between the storm and the coast when it was predicted the storm would curve east over the Atlantic and not make landfall.  But that forecast was very short lived and was changed for the storm to make landfall in the New York City/New Jersey area which it did with a 14 foot storm surge.

The Bounty was far from the first ship to encounter serious problems and flounder off Cape Hatteras, one of the well known graveyards of the Atlantic.

Has anyone heard if the Bounty has actually sunk?  The photos show it on its side in the water but I have not heard or seen anything since they were taken.

FWIW Hurricane Sandy was 1,100 miles in diameter and now is being called the largest storm (in surface area) to make landfall in the United States.
My blog with narrative and more photos is located at:
http://magogman.blogspot.com

read the introduction and also there are about 5 different blogs of ships and railroads

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 12:37:46 PM »
Magoman
to my knowledge she went down ,at least there was no news otherwise

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk