Author Topic: Pride of Dover is going for Scrap  (Read 54305 times)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Pride of Dover is going for Scrap
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2012, 11:51:02 PM »
Heading directly east into Aliaga now, with ETA Thursday morning.

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2012, 08:38:04 AM »
All doubt seems to have gone now; at 08:30 Thursday the tug is 5 miles from the entrance to Aliaga.
Kelvin

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2012, 09:11:13 AM »
I certainly am not getting all sentimental about the demise of "Pride of Dover" She was built to an enlarged development of the Townsend Thoresen "Spirit of Free Enterprise" design which, with only a small amount of open deck space aft, was cunningly meant to keep the passengers inside, spending money in the shops, restaurants, bars and gaming arcades, instead of sitting outside in the fresh air and/or sunshine. I am sure there would have been many more survivors from the "Herald" disaster but for this layout. I certainly tried to avoid travelling on these ships - especially since they also offered very limited scope for shipspotting/photography. You could only see where you'd been; not where you were going!
Furthermore, the ship served for nearly 25 years on the Dover-Calais service. The machinery on she and her sister was pretty knackered (as evidenced by the major failure that is rumoured to have taken place en route to lay-up and the amount of cannibalisation that is reported to have taken place to keep "Pride of Calais" going until the second, new  "jumbo" was delivered.
As much as I love ships, they are - after all - just machines and as such eventually become "clapped-out", like the "Pride of Dover".
And even furthermore: Dover-Calais ferries have always been a bit more difficult to resell because of their "non-standard" loading arrangements, which usually requires them to have ramp/doors fitted for service elsewhere.

If you think space on the Pride of Dover was limited, you should sail on the Prides of Canterbury / Kent / Burgundy or the new Spirits, they are even worse! As a passenger, I always found these ships were the best to sail on as they didn't feel as crowded on a busy sailing as the newer tonnage and there were nice hidden spots like the semi-enclosed decks either side on deck 6 that almost no passenger visited.

You are spot on about their re-sale possibility though. Ships like these are very hard to sell and are getting more and more purpose built. Earlier Dover tonnage somehow find a second life in Greece in the past but these are hardly suitable for that. I suspect in 5 to 10 years, we will see the same thing with the Pride of Burgundy / Canterbury / Kent. These probably won't have a second life either, unless someone like Trans Europa Ferries can snatch them. The European Seaway will most likely find a second home as she is a freighter.

It will be sad to see pictures of the Pride of Dover on the beach. She was the first ship I sailed on when I was 5.

Either fighter is now only about a mile from land :(

Kind regards
Cedric
Photo admin for the Passenger Vessels, RO/RO, Ship Interiors and Vehicle Carriers categories

Offline Damien McCarthy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2012, 04:19:34 PM »
Any pics petros psarras of Pride aground

Offline Tony1

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2012, 06:56:27 PM »
Eide Fighter now appears to be doing circles off the coast of Aliaga....

Offline samson46

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2012, 07:50:11 PM »
A "Dead" ship on tow has to be kept moving (eg in circles) due to difficulty of mooring it for short periods. "Eide Fighter" did this for several days in Lyme Bay, English Channel, waiting for  weather "window" to cross Biscay

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 08:07:14 PM by samson46 »

Offline Ron' Breizh

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2012, 07:59:47 AM »
Good morning all,

As seen on marinetraffic, the Eide Fighter is now assisted with the Cansu-T, probably for her last trip from bay to beach.

Best regards,

Ron
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 09:05:06 AM by Ron' Breizh »

Offline Ron' Breizh

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2012, 01:25:55 PM »
Good Afternoon,

Some news again, after a lot of circles with the CANSU-T this morning, CANSU-T, PRIDE OF DOVER and EIDE FIGHTER vessels are anchored in front of Aliaga beach.

The Pride Of Dover is now joined by the pilot vessel T.DAMLA PILOT and the tug IZMIR RAFINERISI-4

Best Regards,

Ron

Offline Damien McCarthy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2012, 01:30:59 PM »
Hope to see pics soon of her off and aground Aliaga breakers

DanEarl

« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2012, 06:37:24 PM »
That's the end of the relationship of the Eide Fighter and Pride Of Dover, the Eide Fighter has sailed bound for Istanbul.

Regards, Dan.

Offline Petros Psarras

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • News about Piraeus
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2013, 07:12:31 PM »
Once at Piraeus ,forever at Piraeus!

Offline Kyle Larabee

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bobtrucker123