Author Topic: Pride of Dover is going for Scrap  (Read 54303 times)

Offline Ron' Breizh

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
Re: Pride of Dover is going for Scrap
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2012, 11:56:09 AM »
Hello All!

In my opinion, but it's just mine, the Pride Of Calais will be chartered for Transeuropa Ferries but the Pride Of Dover will go for scrap in Tuzla.

Why do repairs/conversion in Turkey? Of course, the cost is lower than cost in European shipyards (except Poland) but the towing cost from Tilbury to Tuzla is very, very expensive so the final cost is approximately the same.

Another thing, the majority of scrapped ships for P&O went also to Tuzla.

Best regards,

Ron

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2012, 12:16:06 PM »
Tuzla is a centre for repair/conversion/shipbuilding.
Aliaga is where most Turkish shipbreaking is carried out.

We will have to see whether EIDE FIGHTER turns right in the Aegean to Aliaga, or carries on to Tuzla, near Istanbul.  It wouldn't be the first time that Tuzla was shown as a destination, but the ship then arrived at Aliaga.  But don't forget that scrap buyers will always stay open for a resale while still en route. 

EIDE FIGHTER departing Malta Channel at 6

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2012, 11:44:14 PM »
EIDE FIGHTER is currently heading due North at 3.7 knots in the direction of Messina. Maybe a bunkering/victualling stop? Still a fair way to go at this pace before she reaches Turkey.
Best Regards
John J.
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline Robert Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2012, 06:05:29 PM »
Strange. Whilst en route from Gibraltar to Turkey, I'd opt to bunker in Malta, and not in Sicily, which is quite a detour. On top, bunkers there are more expensive. Also, can't find Eide Fighter anymore on AIS. Any ideas ? An Italian connection maybe ?

Brgs,
Rob.

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2012, 07:34:32 PM »
Hi Rob,

My track of her shows an about turn East of Catania shortly after my post and heading due South again to rejoin her original course around mid-day Saturday. Last plot I have is about two thirds of the way across the Ionian Sea making 6 knots 11.00 today. ETA still showing as 25th Dec.

Happy Christmas
John J.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 07:41:59 PM by John Jones »
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline kyle pesely

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2012, 09:34:07 PM »
perhaps she was sheltering near the island from weather?

or maybe the crew had to board the PoD and make adjustments to the towing bridle, or perhaps adjust her trim, so they wanted to get out of the shipping lane and head somewhere where they could sail in circles for a while?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 09:37:31 PM by kyle pesely »

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2012, 10:57:36 AM »
I doubt bunkering - didn't see any sign of a tanker or anything else with an AIS signal attending her.  But the others are all possibilities, also launch artendance for crew change or supplies - she would have stayed well off-shore to circle with the tow in any case.  Now in the dead-spot for most AIS sources in the middle pf Ionian Sea - will appear again as she nears Greece.

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2012, 11:05:54 AM »
Unfortunately, it has just been reported that the Eide Fighters destination on AIS has been changed to ALIAGA :(

A bit of sad news on this Christmas morning
Photo admin for the Passenger Vessels, RO/RO, Ship Interiors and Vehicle Carriers categories

Offline Damien McCarthy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
Unfortunately, it has just been reported that the Eide Fighters destination on AIS has been changed to ALIAGA :(

A bit of sad news on this Christmas morning

Offline Kyle Larabee

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bobtrucker123
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2012, 02:58:12 PM »
 :(

Offline NAB

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2012, 07:08:56 PM »
Just checked Eide Fighter AIS at 1902. Still says Tuzla Turkey! I Guess time will tell!  ???

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2012, 07:30:20 PM »
Hmm! Earlier today it did indeed show Aliaga.
Now at 19:29 GMT it is still showing Aliaga.

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2012, 09:29:35 AM »
I checked on Marine Traffic yesterday before posting and it did say ALIAGA then. Indeed a very sad ending for the ship but the longer she was in Tilbury, the more inevitable it was becoming
Photo admin for the Passenger Vessels, RO/RO, Ship Interiors and Vehicle Carriers categories

Offline Ancient Mariner

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2012, 04:38:17 PM »
She was dated, ****-ugly, uneconomic to run, and more uneconomic to maintain.

Better that she is recycled now, and remembered for her donkeys years of service. Rather than have her life dragged out as she is passed from one half-arsed failed ferry venture to the next and slowly rots away to a rusted hulk.

Offline samson46

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2012, 04:39:58 PM »
I certainly am not getting all sentimental about the demise of "Pride of Dover" She was built to an enlarged development of the Townsend Thoresen "Spirit of Free Enterprise" design which, with only a small amount of open deck space aft, was cunningly meant to keep the passengers inside, spending money in the shops, restaurants, bars and gaming arcades, instead of sitting outside in the fresh air and/or sunshine. I am sure there would have been many more survivors from the "Herald" disaster but for this layout. I certainly tried to avoid travelling on these ships - especially since they also offered very limited scope for shipspotting/photography. You could only see where you'd been; not where you were going!
Furthermore, the ship served for nearly 25 years on the Dover-Calais service. The machinery on she and her sister was pretty knackered (as evidenced by the major failure that is rumoured to have taken place en route to lay-up and the amount of cannibalisation that is reported to have taken place to keep "Pride of Calais" going until the second, new  "jumbo" was delivered.
As much as I love ships, they are - after all - just machines and as such eventually become "clapped-out", like the "Pride of Dover".
And even furthermore: Dover-Calais ferries have always been a bit more difficult to resell because of their "non-standard" loading arrangements, which usually requires them to have ramp/doors fitted for service elsewhere.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk