Author Topic: HMS Bounty sunk by hurricane; 14 rescued, but 2 crew members still missing  (Read 7504 times)

Offline Magogman

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://magogman.blogspot.com
Given the advance notice of the path and dangerous conditions from Hurricane Sandy one must ask why this vessel was sailing south to Florida from Conn. and thus into the teeth of the storm.  A tragic loss.
My blog with narrative and more photos is located at:
http://magogman.blogspot.com

read the introduction and also there are about 5 different blogs of ships and railroads

Offline Dave Forbes

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Where fantasy meets real life.

Offline Petros Psarras

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • News about Piraeus
I think many shipspotters have to upload the upcoming storm pictures...is the situation so serious?
Once at Piraeus ,forever at Piraeus!

Offline Ian Horsfall

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
petros, yes the storm is very serious,Nothing like this has ever happened before 3 storm fronts coliding.I have just watched the news, I believe Capt missing.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
I was on the Bounty some years back in St.Petersburg, Florida and when I asked a few questions to a crewmember I got rather unprofessional answers. Most of them aboard were volunteers and there for the free ride. I do not know if the Capt is usually the regular Capt but if he is also a volunteer (not that volunteers are all bad !!!!) who uses it as a free ride or as a adventure trip and taking now into account that they had at least 4-6 days warning then one may be can conclude that there were not really professionals aboard as it may have supposed to be.
One wonders again and again why peoples on such ships and smaller yards passing at sea straight heading for a storm and we on rather big ships (180x27m) my last, making course
changes to avoid such storms and when you call them they answer you they are on a big sailing vessel and they know what they doing. !!!!!Scratching my head!!!!!! if they are really know what they doing ?
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Willy1949

Captain Robin Walbridge is the remaining missing person from the Bounty. The USCG recovered the body of the other crew member. He was the last person to leave the ship.

Captain Walbridge holds a Master 1600 Ton License and has been involved with square rigged ships since 1993. More at http://www.tallshipbounty.org/the-ship/RobinWalbridge.php.

Until we know all the reasons why the Bounty foundered perhaps we could avoid unhelpful speculation as to the Captain's competency or character. It is what it is and that is a tragedy.       

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Willy
When a MASTER/CAPT heads with a ship like that with a 4-6 days warning straight into a storm which every forecaster called a special situation and will lead to unprecedented winds and waves, then he can have for my part an unlimited license, he is nonetheless in my professional opinion INCOMPETENT. On the NE side of the storm they measured today 42 feet waves and sooner or later he must pass through that area !!! I call that incompetent for the sole reason that the vessel was in that area in the first place.

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Magogman

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
The ship was off Cape Hatteras, North Carolina a well known graveyard for ships sunk in storms.

This storm is especially notable, not so much as a very powerful hurricane but a hurricane that is exceptionally large, several hundred miles in diameter, and which has merged, or is merging with storm systems coming across North America and a high pressure system to the northeast which is feeding it energy.

I am almost 400 miles west of New York City in Ohio and we are having 50 mile per hour gusts of wind with rain and later tonight and tomorrow snow, all from this storm.  Waves of 30 feet or higher are forecast on the Great Lakes and gale force winds are or will occur on each of the Great Lakes.

A 13 foot storm surge hit Battery Park on the southern tip of Manhattan Island, an all time record.  Much of lower Manhattan is flooded as are several coastal communities in New Jersey, Long Island and Conn. are flooded.

Massive inland flooding is probable from 6 to 12 inches of rain as the storm moves inland.

Millions are without electricity.
A historic ferry was sunk at its pier in New Jersey and I am sure there will be others.

This is not a "normal" kind of storm.

I appreciate your comments Captain Ted.

Magogman
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 03:45:27 AM by Magogman »

read the introduction and also there are about 5 different blogs of ships and railroads

Offline Magogman

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
The storm surge from Hurricane Sandy at New York City now changed from 13 feet to "almost 14 feet".  Many smaller recreational vessels and a few commercial vessels sunk or blown or washed ashore with the surge.

The U.S. Coast Guard posted a few photos of the HMS Bounty afloat on her side in the Atlantic. I tried to upload them to the site but they did not meet the minimum specifications.  The captain is still missing; one fatality, the rest of the crew rescued from harm's way by Coast Guard helicopter.

Looks like the shoreline and harbor area of New York City, New Jersey, Long Island and Conn. are in a state of shambles from Hurricane Sandy.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Bounty sunk by hurricane; 14 rescued, but 2 crew members still missing
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 11:49:07 AM »
Interesting article in the Tampa Tribune today
where it is stated by his wife that the Master called her and told her he thinks they going  to make it through !!!
The vessel left port on Thursday heading south when all forecastings projected landfall between Pennsylvania in the north and South Carolina in the south. It is behond me how they could leave port. Big ships took a more notherly course or waited for the storm to pass and they leaving port (knowingly?) that sooner or later they will have to pass through the storm which was labelled as SUPERstorm and special, extrem rare weather constellation

Offline Derell Licht

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Bounty sunk by hurricane; 14 rescued, but 2 crew members still missing
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 06:04:50 PM »
A quote from the preceding article:

"Walbridge was a teacher, not only for the visitors to the Bounty, but for his crew, too. They were 11 men and five women, ranging in age from 20 to 66, and many of them weren't experienced on the sea. In a 2010 interview, the captain told a radio station that was how he liked it."

That seems to support Captain Ted's initial hypothesis about the crew...

Not all those who wander are lost...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk