Author Topic: Offical Website Language  (Read 32455 times)

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Offical Website Language
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 05:13:45 PM »
Ken/Phil

I am in full agreement with english only my comment was "rather polemic" towards that
member.
As for using the google and what ever translator, I tried that a few times and that longer a sentence becomes that more not understandable garbage it creates. Worst and really bad it becomes when you then retranslate the english version of the first translation back into the native languish. I did that with german to english and back to german. If I would have used the BACK-translation at a gas station to buy a sandwich I would most probably been shot on the spot !!!!
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Torgachkin

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 06:54:59 PM »

It can be done Capt Ted and I have offered to do this for the member but he has not replied to my message, I have also told him that I am disappointed that he should want to delete his photographs because I see no reason for wanting to do so.

With regard to the English language the decision stands that all communications should be in the official Website language, it has been stated that English is the preferred language in the world of shipping and I see no reason why it should not be the case as far is this website is concerned.

The official website language of English is widely used and understood and this decision was brought about because of members communicating in their own language and using obscene and abusive words in comments and this is wrong, we must all be able to understand what is being said and a very large percentage of the members will understand if it is seen in English.

Regards
Ken Smith
Webmaster

I was in the sea at work and therefore could not answer at once! Now once again I ask you to immediately remove all my photos and my account! I agree that you elders of England too late to retrain, but your children and grandchildren will be forced to learn Russian, Turkish, Arabic, and Chinese! Russia never said and would never speak in English! The text is written in Russian, translated in Google, who do not understand the meaning, that is his problem!

Offline josip botica

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 08:31:26 PM »
Do not delete your photos please.Rgds Josip
:pint:  :pint:  :pint:

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 09:34:41 PM »
While I usually try to reason with those who want all their content removed due to some minor and passing disagreement with the administration, the recent behaviour of mr. Torgachkin is just retarded and I'd say he would probably be better off on another website with others of his kind.

I agree that you elders of England too late to retrain, but your children and grandchildren will be forced to learn Russian, Turkish, Arabic, and Chinese! Russia never said and would never speak in English! The text is written in Russian, translated in Google, who do not understand the meaning, that is his problem!

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 09:48:37 PM »
Originally I regretted Igor's decision to delete his photos because of (as I understand it) a language issue. But the part of his comment that Tuomas pointed out in his reply made me think twice. Very vexing, to say the least...

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 10:27:33 PM »
Some peoples are just hollow between the ears. No loss in my opinion when he and his pictures are gone.
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Peter S. aus N

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 10:29:01 PM »
it is easy for the native english speaking people to assert english is the language of shipping business and the top of the world. It is the same when they come abroad they expect everywhere in the world that other people have to understand them and the others are so stupid to do so. They feel too elitist and ignorant to learn a foreign language by their own.

So my solution: all no english  native speaking people write in their own language and in english, all english native speaking peopele write in english- only correct oxford english will be acceptable- because this is was the others learn and in another language such as french, russian, spanish, or mandarin.
I think this will be a good experience!
I'm far away from the sea to Hamburg I have a longer distance as to Venice or Genova. My favorite is the Suez Canal, Panama Canal and since 2006 also Chinese harbours.

Offline josip botica

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 10:39:21 PM »
ok, I agree, but what about those of us who can not write engleski. I can not write English than me helping my wife who is not always with me  and i wanted to give a lot of comments because me understand the ships and marine.Rgds Josip

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 10:44:19 PM »
Josip
unfortunately one can not make it for everybody right , but just imagine everybody talks in his language, I think it will be a big setback for the communication on this site

Torgachkin

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2012, 09:50:51 AM »
Some peoples are just hollow between the ears. No loss in my opinion when he and his pictures are gone.

Language problem immediately solved by setting the site Google translator (find this free plug-in on the Internet)
By the way on my personal site can check how a translator! I installed it on a pack of site because I think not only about the comfort, I try to all foreign visitors to be comfortable!
Ship Spotting by Igor Torgachkin
http://www.torgachkin.ru/

Offline Danijela Dani Paljusic

• Dani
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2012, 10:15:40 AM »
Josip, you're right.
I do not write good English, but Google translator to help me and I know that it's not always accurately translated.
I think if it could be allowed to be written, and the mother and English (translation means) it might be good, but administrators still remains to decide.
Danijela
* always with camera in bag *

• Dani
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2012, 10:21:49 AM »
I agree with Captain Ted, what would happen if everyone would write in their native language. It would be a setback for the communication.

Danijela

Offline josip botica

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2012, 10:29:17 AM »
I looked on the site Igor's translator and is not a bad idea

• Dani
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2012, 10:35:45 AM »
I looked on the site Igor's translator and is not a bad idea

Not at all a bad idea :)
Danijela

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2012, 01:52:51 PM »
Of course, insults should not be written, no matter which language.

English is not my first language and I can not bring over something as well as I could in my mother language. So I feel tempted, to write a comment in German, to a German member here. Simply because in German, it works better.

I understand the other comments too, people want to understand what the hell is written there, in a foreign language.

What about the idea, to - IF someone "must" (does feel, it has to be) write a German in own native language - the person must provide an English translation underneath the comment, so that everyone can understand it. I would VERY MUCH favour this, and it would give credit for both parties here.

Greetings,

Cornelia

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk