Author Topic: Offical Website Language  (Read 32436 times)

kensmith

Offical Website Language
« on: October 22, 2012, 04:22:23 PM »

The Official Language of this Website is and always has been English but many do use their own language in comments, this has now got to stop.

I have often translated a comment so that all can understand what is being said and this has to be done by using Google but Google is not always 100% accurate in its translation and sometimes a translation has caused offence.

Recently in comments to a photograph which were given in a foreign language it was discovered that offensive and obscene words had been used, this is wrong, we should all be able to read a comment and understand what is being said.

I know from my long experience with this website that many can read and write the English language, probably in some cases better than I can, so from now on all communications with this website must be in English so that all may be able to read and understand what is being said.

This will include
Comments to Photographs
Comments in the Forum
Information given with an upload
Exchange of views between members
Any advice given with regard to a photograph.
Any other message that does not conform to the English Language.

As from now all comments made in a language other than English will be removed from the website, we have been very tolerant on this in the past but it now has to stop, it is grossly unfair that members should have to translate a message to be able to understand it on an English speaking Website.

Regards
Ken Smith
Webmaster

Offline Danijela Dani Paljusic

• Dani
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Re: Offical Website Language
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 07:31:05 AM »
You're right, Ken. I promise to abide by this.
Danijela
* always with camera in bag *

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 04:37:37 PM »
hi ken
better english then you,,,that,s EEEEEEEASY ,,I can abide by that :-)))
I am full y on your line with this !!!

brgds
capt ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Stan Muller

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • My album
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 07:06:08 PM »
Well spoken, goed gezegd,  bien dit, bien dicho, gut gesagt, bem dito, ben detto, godt sagt, Bra sagt,vel m

Offline Fergal Clohessy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 08:03:08 PM »
I will of course abide by the site rules.. but I still believe it is an insult to restrict users from using their native tongue. it is after all our members contributions that make this site what it is today! just my tuppence worth.
Keep up the good work Ken, you are much admired :)

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 09:31:16 PM »
...but I still believe it is an insult to restrict users from using their native tongue.

Well, on the other hand, if the website itself is in English, why couldn't the users write in English as well? After all, the fact that we have signed up on ShipSpotting.com shows that we understand at least some English. When in Rome, do as Romans do...

This reminds me of the time when I was studying as an exchange student in an international university and the head of the university told us to speak English in the student houses as well so that everyone would be able to understand each other. Of course there were still people who spoke e.g. German with each other, but apparently my built-in translator kicked in or something when I walked closer as they automatically switched to English... That does not work on this forum, though, so the point is that since we have a common language, we should use it so that nobody would be left out from the discussion.

Or something.

Offline Chris Howell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 09:01:46 AM »
Ken is correct and all I can add is

This is a maritime site and like the maritime world the language of the sea ENGLISH should be the language of the site.

I don't believe this is disrespectful to the various members whose native tongue is not English.

Notes on album
1. All postings are photography of Chris Howell except where stated taken from 1972 to date.
2. Photographs taken by others are credited as owned collection and photographers name where known and I own the copyright or the person mentioned in the text.

Offline jdap

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 09:45:16 AM »
Couldn't agree more, Chris!

Communications in the real maritime world are in English.

This website is global in nature and scope, and it should follow as closely as possible the international rules, procedures and norms that characterize the real world it intends to depict.

So the choice of English here is both practical and realistic, and it does not entail any arbitrary preferences towards a specific language, or any downplay or disrespect towards other languages.

My humble opinion, anyway.

Brgds,

Jose
(jdap)

Offline Emmanuel.L

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
Ken you are doing great work so you should'nt be encumbered with a host of different languages to cope with.
Sometimes readers/members comment to my photos in their language which is Chinese to me (No pun intended) They may have a very valid suggestion or comment , but what's the use if I cannot understand it.It is better if it is written in broken english cause somehow you get to the gist of it. Incidentally I am Maltese and for a population of c.400,000 we have our own language recognized in the EU, yet I can only communicate with other Maltese , so I use the english language  which is more universal and is the official language of air/maritime communication.
So please refrain from using any other language other than english.Be proud of your language but use a universal mode of communication ;write in English.

Torgachkin

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 08:22:03 PM »

The Official Language of this Website is and always has been English but many do use their own language in comments, this has now got to stop.

I have often translated a comment so that all can understand what is being said and this has to be done by using Google but Google is not always 100% accurate in its translation and sometimes a translation has caused offence.

Recently in comments to a photograph which were given in a foreign language it was discovered that offensive and obscene words had been used, this is wrong, we should all be able to read a comment and understand what is being said.

I know from my long experience with this website that many can read and write the English language, probably in some cases better than I can, so from now on all communications with this website must be in English so that all may be able to read and understand what is being said.

This will include
Comments to Photographs
Comments in the Forum
Information given with an upload
Exchange of views between members
Any advice given with regard to a photograph.
Any other message that does not conform to the English Language.

As from now all comments made in a language other than English will be removed from the website, we have been very tolerant on this in the past but it now has to stop, it is grossly unfair that members should have to translate a message to be able to understand it on an English speaking Website.

Regards
Ken Smith
Webmaster

I want to remove all my photos from your site!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 09:04:37 PM by Ken Smith »

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 10:31:45 AM »
Why not allow double language? For instance Russian and complete translation in English by the poster of the photo?

Offline Danijela Dani Paljusic

• Dani
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 10:57:55 AM »
Maybe that's not a bad idea, Pieter.
If so be, it would be better.
Danijela
* always with camera in bag *

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 01:49:40 PM »
Igor
Isn,t there a way to delete all at once, don,t waste time !!!
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Fergal Clohessy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 03:07:51 PM »
I think two languages would be acceptable but I still think it is an insult to restrict people from using their native tongue. why should they provide an english version also? maybe other members should get off their asses and learn how to use google translate if whatever they are trying to read is that important to them then let them translate it themselves.. if they dont want to do, then tough.. move on to the next photo.
also members have suggested numerous times about english being the international maritime language... I work as a ships agent and I have met countless crew members who havent a word of english between them.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 04:22:43 PM »
Well said Ken. Any ship owner who wishes to trade his ship internationally is not going to get far by sending out info to potential charterers in anything other than English. Furthermore, the problems of crew members not being able to communicate an international language (i.e. English) in a safety environment is well documented.

If speaking an international language can save lives, I don't see it an insult to expect members here to adhere to a simple rule.

Brgds
Phil

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk