Author Topic: mainstream media people, shame on you ! (again)  (Read 4628 times)

Offline polsteam

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://ships.greenet.pl/photo
mainstream media people, shame on you ! (again)
« on: October 10, 2012, 02:41:16 PM »
from "Maritime Bulletin":

UK Court found ram very brutal though harmless. The RMS Baerl drunken Captain case.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 9:43:00 AM

Several UK media published a story on drunken Russian Captain in Hull
despite using "polsteam" for my nick I have NO personal (professional) or business connections with the company of the same name

Offline IRION29

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Re: mainstream media people, shame on you ! (again)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 04:08:07 PM »
 Similar story when  when the the Flamina caught fire there was no report of this on any mainstream media in N.America.The only news of maritime accidents available seems to be when the ship involved is near our coastline,better to rely on shipspotting.com or maritime matters for news of what's happening at sea

Offline miraflores

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 04:41:48 PM »

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 09:04:16 PM »
I think this incident maybe happened some while ago and has just been to court.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 10:34:11 PM »
I think that it is just the date that is wrong - I suspect that this was on 10 September, outward bound.  RMS BAERL arrived Goole 8/9/2012 from the Rhine.  She sailed from Goole in the very early morning of 11/9 (she passed Hull at 0430UTC+1). 

However, she had a Port State inspection on 10/9 - unlikely that this was a routine one as that would have been scheduled for 8th or 9th - but probably a direct result of the incident. There were not many defects (seven) and she was not detained, but it is probably significant that one of them was "Certificates for master and officers - Not as required".  This would be understandable if they were still scrabbling around to appoint a new master later on the 10th, after the incident in the early afternoon.  It was good luck for RMS that not only was RMS LAAR in port (she apparently arrived only on the 10th, and also sailed on the 11th), but also RMS BAERL's direct sister RMS DUISBURG (also arrived 10th and departed 11th) - one of the 1st Officers must have had a leg up, I guess, so only one tide would have been missed.  Well, that's my guess.

As for the seriousness of the incident, it is worth noting that no pilot is mentioned - almost certainly the master held a Pilotage Exemption Certificate.  The RMS BAERL has made over 40 calls at Goole over the last 12 months alone, so the master and/or chief mate would easily have met ABP's requirements.  If so, that makes the master's irresponsibility all the greater. 

This was not one beer too many; regrettably it seems that he probably has a serious drinking problem and hopefully he will seek help or treatment.  A short time in jail would be better - it does not seem right that his family should have to suffer loss of their savings just when a Rostov winter is approaching with no salary coming in.

Offline Fergal Clohessy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 08:26:17 AM »
its typical of the press. we had a vessel here yesterday which the ITF were involved with, it made the media and was stated as being a 7,000 tonne freighter with a cargo of oxide rather than a 70,000 bulker with a cargo of bauxite

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 09:20:16 AM »
My long-standing opinion has always been that heavy drinking has no place in the professional shipping business and being off-duty is not an excuse for getting wasted, especially if you are the captain.

I wouldn't feel bad for "wiping" such a "professional".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk