Author Topic: End of an era of former "Dutch Glory"?  (Read 214184 times)

Offline DutchHannibal

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Re: End of an era of former "Dutch Glory"?
« Reply #135 on: May 30, 2014, 12:48:42 PM »
I feel the same....sad, only two left.
If it can't be done like it should,
it should be done like it can.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 01, 2014, 01:15:03 AM »
GLOBAL DESTINY still in Karachi port, but status showhn as "broken up".
That seems premature, but a bit ominous. 

Offline Tony_Birdman

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 01, 2014, 08:42:20 AM »
The "Global Destiny" (ex Smit Rotterdam) entered Karachi port coming from Gadani Shipbreaking on May 25, 2014, and docked at the West Wharf at 6.30 a.m. to be broken up at plot 47. (Source: Vesseltracker)

the above i copied from the tugs towing and offshore newsletter.

such a shame that they ended up in the hands of a scrapping company, and ended up as scrap, seems to me they just bought them to be used as scrap towing tugs until they became to costly and or not wanted anymore.

must have had more value as scrap to the owners.

only we could hope the destiny may hold on a few more weeks or longer.

Offline DutchHannibal

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 01, 2014, 08:50:16 AM »
Man!.....I hate for them to be lost, especially like this. Inevitable though I guess.
That just leaves us with Hua An.

I was hoping to be able to show my kids where dad used to work if one ever was to be sent in our vacinity. Didnt happen, and now they're done for.

:'( :-X >:(

Offline Bernd U.

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 01, 2014, 09:08:42 AM »
The "Global Destiny" (ex Smit Rotterdam) entered Karachi port coming from Gadani Shipbreaking on May 25, 2014, and docked at the West Wharf at 6.30 a.m. to be broken up at plot 47. (Source: Vesseltracker)

Thats Wrong!Global Success 1 beached at Alang at Plot 47!
Tim write it wrong at Vesseltracker.
If you go on Google Earth,you can see no Scrapyard at this Point.There is a normal Port
Best regards Bernd
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 09:11:05 AM by Bernd Urbanik »

Offline DutchHannibal

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2014, 05:02:10 AM »
According to Equasis she's still "in commission".

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2014, 08:30:40 AM »
The "status" on IHS-Fairplay (Seaweb) as "broken up" (changed on 25/5) is clearly at least premature, if not wrong.  She is still breathing (ie AIS is still on) and she remains at the same commercial berth in Karachi port.

Don't forget that Equasis data is not the latest.  There is a time lag of at least a week - and they get their updates on ships in service mainly from IHS-Fairplay.

Offline Robert Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 03, 2014, 08:49:17 PM »
I feel the end is near. As soon as there won't be any work left or when commercially viable, this old tug will be gone....  :-\

Offline Tony_Birdman

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 04, 2014, 11:05:26 PM »
yeah i agree with you robert, i think she is due for a special survey soon, i just wonder if they will want to do the survey or just just scrap her, does anyone know how much a special survey would cost on a vessel that size. it would have its anti-foul renewed and a lick of paint above.

Offline Tony_Birdman

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 04, 2014, 11:13:43 PM »
i only just realised that the smit singapore was broken up and not the rotterdam, strange though that the singapore (global success 1) was younger than the rotterdam (global destiny)
their new names can be confusing as i know them better as the former.

Offline DutchHannibal

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 05, 2014, 06:03:28 AM »
Me too, I liked the old names way better, but that's because of the title of this topic. They were born with those names, and I sailed them with those names. I was allways proud to call a port, traffic centre or ship and naming our ships.
The Singapore was indeed nearly ten years younger. She is also a anchor handler (not a very good one), while the rest were plain tugs (exceptionally good ones).
I hate for them to be scrapped, but they are ridiculously expensive to maintain, sail (around 40 tons of fuel per 24 hours when on full power and towing) or insure so it's near i,possible for a non profit bunch of peeps or a museum to keep them. Unless they can berth one and disable the propulsion in order to not need working insurance and just keep her as museum ship. But even then, the scrapvalue is about a million dollars I guess, so try finding someone to sponsor it.....not easy.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 06:09:05 AM by DutchHannibal »

Offline Tony_Birdman

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 05, 2014, 12:21:15 PM »
Me too, I liked the old names way better, but that's because of the title of this topic. They were born with those names, and I sailed them with those names. I was allways proud to call a port, traffic centre or ship and naming our ships.
The Singapore was indeed nearly ten years younger. She is also a anchor handler (not a very good one), while the rest were plain tugs (exceptionally good ones).
I hate for them to be scrapped, but they are ridiculously expensive to maintain, sail (around 40 tons of fuel per 24 hours when on full power and towing) or insure so it's near i,possible for a non profit bunch of peeps or a museum to keep them. Unless they can berth one and disable the propulsion in order to not need working insurance and just keep her as museum ship. But even then, the scrapvalue is about a million dollars I guess, so try finding someone to sponsor it.....not easy.

so they are expensive to run, if they were say around 15 years old, they would be worth while keeping then but the age they are now with all the up-keeping let alone costs for dry-docking does make it look better to scrap, but still its a shame to see such good vessels go to the scrapheap.
global destiny may be waiting, it may have down (to be scrapped) but they may have other ideas for her still.

on the subject of expense, it must be much much cheaper to run an anchor handler then one of these old girls, and i know one main reason availability of parts, they have main engines that probably have parts that are hard to source. i have an old 60's land rover and i know it can be hard to find certain parts.

Tony   

Offline DutchHannibal

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 05, 2014, 07:20:07 PM »
They have Stork Werkspoor 9TM410 mains, a company now owned by Warstila, the parts are still newly obtainable. They are also one of the best engines ever built (according to my opinion that is).

Offline Tony_Birdman

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 05, 2014, 10:14:10 PM »
oh so they still have parts that are obtainable.
Wartsila and MAN have almost taken up all engine manufacturers.

we'll see what happens to the Destiny in the next few days. im sure if they didn't want her they could sell her on for more then scrap metal value. there would be someone out there that wants very good ocean going tug.

Offline Jan Ove

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
SMIT SINGAPORE (IMO 8213964) SOLD TO THE BREAKERS
« Reply #149 on: June 06, 2014, 07:46:03 AM »
Today in the clippings:

The GLOBAL SUCCES I (built as Smit Singapore later Smitwijs Singapore followed by Singapore ) Arrived May 23rd 2014 at Alang and was sold May 25th 2014 to MARINE LINES SHIP BREAKERS (P) LTD., Alang and was beached May 29th 2014 on Plot 47 at Alang for scrapping.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33438735@N08/14350776864/

source
Shippingnewsclippings 157 dated 06-06-2014, page 8, by Piet Sinke
http://www.maasmondmaritime.com

regards
Jan Ove
All my photos are

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk