Author Topic: End of an era of former "Dutch Glory"?  (Read 213901 times)

Offline kim holm

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: End of an era of former "Dutch Glory"?
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2014, 09:20:58 AM »
destiny is now underway, destination HIGH SEAS

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2014, 09:28:05 AM »
GLOBAL SUCCESS I is still on the move at varying speeds (currently 2kn) off Alang beaches, about 5-6nm off the coast.  Don't forget that tracking on MarineTrffic annoyingly goes off from time to time.

If she had no tow (she's not "under tow"), she sould be sitting quietly at anchor, not burning fuel, like S TRADER ex-ATHENS TRADER has been for a week, awaiting her turn and completion of paperwork/payment.

Meanwhile GLOBAL DESTINY now on the move at 3kn about 25nm W of Gadani Beach, now showing destination as "high seas" (suspect that she just dropped off AIS reception area for a couple of days).

Offline DutchHannibal

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2014, 09:40:30 AM »
I used to sail on them, and you're right, "under tow" is incorrect. We never made speeds like 8 knots while towing, but then again I only towed platforms, maybe a dead ship can achieve 8 knots under tow. I juyst thought it to be a high speed for towing.
If it can't be done like it should,
it should be done like it can.

Offline Tony_Birdman

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2014, 12:02:58 PM »
I just thought...what about the other two smaller ones, Smit Houston (later Solo, Waker) en the Smit New York?
Houston has been demolished in 2010 after a fire in the engineroom, but New York is still active in Singapore under the new name "Hua An". Not the same as the three mentioned before but nevertheless very important to Dutch towing history.

Yes Dutch Hannibal, i have heard of those other tugs you mentioned above, so are they based on the same design only smaller?

Offline Tony_Birdman

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2014, 12:06:47 PM »
I used to sail on them, and you're right, "under tow" is incorrect. We never made speeds like 8 knots while towing, but then again I only towed platforms, maybe a dead ship can achieve 8 knots under tow. I juyst thought it to be a high speed for towing.

so you were on board Dutch Hannibal, so what was it like on board one of those tugs?
what were you when on the tugs?
im just interested in what it was like on there as i have never been on a tug of that size.

Offline DutchHannibal

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2014, 01:40:50 PM »
They were epic. Really terrific ships, excellently built for the job. Not new anymore offcoarse...but they felt mighty. When we held abandon ship drills and sailesd back in the lifeboats I felt proud.
The two smaller ones were the Smitwijs New York and the Smit Houston (later Solo for Greenpeace and after that Waker for the Dutch coastguard). New York sailes on as Hua An and the Waker had an enigeroom fire and was written off.
They had the 6 ci. Tm410's and the big ones had the 9's.
I was a maritime officer.

Offline Tony_Birdman

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2014, 09:21:53 PM »
They were epic. Really terrific ships, excellently built for the job. Not new anymore offcoarse...but they felt mighty. When we held abandon ship drills and sailesd back in the lifeboats I felt proud.
The two smaller ones were the Smitwijs New York and the Smit Houston (later Solo for Greenpeace and after that Waker for the Dutch coastguard). New York sailes on as Hua An and the Waker had an enigeroom fire and was written off.
They had the 6 ci. Tm410's and the big ones had the 9's.
I was a maritime officer.

oh ok, well it sounds like fun.
so what was it like in rough weather?

yeah i remember the waker engine room fire.
Hua An still sails, which is good.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2014, 11:53:07 PM »
GLOBAL DESTINY now heading for Goa, ETA 24/4.
GLOBAL SUCCESS I still weaving her pirouettes

Offline DutchHannibal

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2014, 05:09:51 AM »
Sailing a tug through rough weather at sea is very different than other ships because you're tighed up to something. Everytime the ship gets pushed ahead you feel it being held back. Even though you never get the towingwire out of the water (on long voyages)you feel it. And then there's the occasional frustration when you are releaved from watch, go rest, get back and find out that you have sailed backwards because the wind is pushing you back. (with rigs that is, which are the only tows I did). The other weather thing is that other mariners try to avoid hurricanes and such, on a tug you can't because you're too slow.
They were fine in storms, but you felt like being in a laundry machine..not very different to other types of ships. I think maybe the short length compared to large cargo vessels makes them bounce more, but I would'nt know for sure while I have only sailed suppliers, tugs and a roro across the north sea.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 10:09:30 AM by DutchHannibal »

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2014, 06:34:07 PM »
Strange stuff, i am watching marinetraffic pretty often now to see whats happening. The Global Success is the prettiest tug ever, in my eyes.
But i guess  she is outdated. Would have been a great yacht, for someone...

Would be nice to have her around some more time.

Offline DutchHannibal

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2014, 07:19:31 PM »
I agree, very beautifull, back in the day when you would have a distress situation and saw that coming towards you (Full power because they make a tremendous bow and stern wave if you do that)you would feel saved even before they got to you. And the the no cure no pay came out.
They all (5) looked the same, except two were smaller and one was also built for anchor handling (which from what I heard she didn't do too well).
I wanted to sail on them since I was a kid, and did, I feel lucky.

Offline Tony_Birdman

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2014, 11:30:29 PM »
yeah i agree with you Tomas

Offline DutchHannibal

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2014, 07:28:13 AM »
North sea is maybe the roughest sea in the world due to the very short wavelengths. It's not a deep sea so waves tend to be short and very high beacause they stack up.
I never went into port because of a storm, but we did alter course to get the best angle to the waves. Thing is, while towing platforms; they take such a beating from wind that you practically sail in the direction of the wind. So in very bad cases, where that direction isnt safe youo can try hiding behind an island or something, but in the open you just rock it out. Most platforms arent able to get into ports anyway because of their size.
Also, you often tow them with multiple tugs, nearly impossible to go into a port. When disconnecting you need quite a few harbour tugs to keep the operation in control.

What do you other mariners do around here..(I'm new to this forum)..what ship do or did yous sail?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 08:03:05 AM by DutchHannibal »

Offline Tony_Birdman

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2014, 11:47:35 AM »
North sea is maybe the roughest sea in the world due to the very short wavelengths. It's not a deep sea so waves tend to be short and very high beacause they stack up.
I never went into port because of a storm, but we did alter course to get the best angle to the waves. Thing is, while towing platforms; they take such a beating from wind that you practically sail in the direction of the wind. So in very bad cases, where that direction isnt safe youo can try hiding behind an island or something, but in the open you just rock it out. Most platforms arent able to get into ports anyway because of their size.
Also, you often tow them with multiple tugs, nearly impossible to go into a port. When disconnecting you need quite a few harbour tugs to keep the operation in control.

What do you other mariners do around here..(I'm new to this forum)..what ship do or did yous sail?

Hello Dutch Hannibal,
well im actually a Tug Enthusiast, been one since a kid, i have always wanted to be an engineer on a vessel, i know it sounds a bit embarrasing but i just wanted to know what is was like out in the north sea, i have seen many videos of safety stand by and supply-vessels even the London in the north sea towing.
im not sure if i can post a link in here but i have the link to a video of the London towing.
the vid is of the rotterdam and london in the gulf of mexico, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNGq_yyLQr8

thanks for telling us about what you have done Dutch Hannibal.

im sure others on here would be or have been on ships.

Tony.

Offline DutchHannibal

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2014, 12:25:12 PM »
As far as I'm concerned anyone can be enthousiastic about anything and talk to anyone about it. I rather like beople being interested in this line of work. It seems quite roamntic, but it's a hard an very dangerous job. Many riscs and hazzards lie around the corner.
The video you uploaded is one made by a former captain which I sailed with with the same two ships in the same place a few years earlier. Terrific captain and an interesting man.
If you wanna know`more you can allways email me, I don't think people here are waiting for story's of old.
I get your interest offcoarse, I have been a tug enthousiast myself for as long as I can remember.

Here's an engineroom tour from onboard the Singapore, the enginerooms don't differ much between the five ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_gjZRYHlrQ&list=PLW6LvyhHZqVr0iiv7zYM1GrxxjW1M2Vt7&index=10
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:26:59 PM by DutchHannibal »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk