Author Topic: End of an era of former "Dutch Glory"?  (Read 213785 times)

Offline Robert Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
End of an era of former "Dutch Glory"?
« on: September 02, 2012, 11:06:07 AM »
According to a message which was passed by Piet Sinke from Singapore these former Dutch Smit tugs have been put up for sale. That may mean an end to an era of "Dutch glory". Owners spent very recently plenty of money on the Rotterdam and London for large upgrades , talking about millions, and now this.

-Tug "London" Built 1975 in Holland, 74,83 m Loa, 13.500 BHP, 167 T Bollard Pull;
-Tug "Rotterdam" Built 1975 in Holland, 74.83 m Loa, 13.500 BHP, 167 T Bollard Pull;
-A.H.T. "Singapore" Built 1984 in Holland, 75.32 m Loa, 13.500 BHP, 189 T Bollard Pull.

All 3 tugs are well known in the towing market with a good reputation and performance. "London" and "Rotterdam" are sister-ships which have benefits from both operational but also marketing point of views. The "Singapore" is also an Anchor Handling Tug (AHT), which gives her more flexibilities for certain jobs. Next Special Survey on "London" and "Rotterdam" is due in 2015 and for Singapore it is due in 2014.

Sellers price ideas are:
"London"  US$ 2.7 mill
"Rotterdam" US$ 3.5 mill
"Singapore" US$ 6 mill

Offline Robert Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: End of an era of former "Dutch Glory"?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 05:42:37 PM »
As mentioned earlier this week about the possible sale of the Svitzer Ocean Tugs, the crews onboard received the following e-mail :

Dear Colleagues,

Please be advised that it has been decided to seek buyers for all three of the SVITZER Ocean Towage tugs i.e. Singapore, Rotterdam and London.
This decision has been made as SVITZER considers Ocean Towage to be outside its future strategy focusing on Harbour Towage, Terminal Towage and Salvage.
For now the vessels will continue to trade and operate without any change. Exact future planning will be established during September and depends on a number of factors.
We will now work with the union and other relevant parties to establish the best way forward and any final decision will be subject to such consultations.
SVITZER Ocean Towage will comply will all its obligations towards its employees, customers and other stakeholders.
We will provide more detailed information during the coming weeks.

(Source: Piet Sinke)

Offline Jan Ove

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 05:23:37 AM »
hello,

any news who will buy the 3 vessels?

last status:
ROTTERDAM and LONDON are laid up in the Dom.Rep.

regards
Jan
All my photos are

Offline Robert Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 02:34:06 PM »
Regret no further news apart from the fact that the "Singapore" will join her sisters upon completion of her present employment.

:-[

Offline Jan Ove

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 05:24:11 AM »
In the Dominican republic the tug LONDON (ex SMIT LONDON) is renamed by the new owner GMS in GLOBAL CHANGE and the ROTTERDAM will be named GLOBAL DESTINY, the GLOBAL CHANGE is to depart with a tow from Santo Domingo to West Africa and from there with a tow to India.

Source:
Shippingnewsclippings 020 dated 20-01-2013‏
by Piet Sinke,
page 2

in addition more infos below:
http://www.towingline.com/archives/1724?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+towingline+%28Towingline.com%29

regards
Jan
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 05:30:31 AM by Jan Ove »
All my photos are

Offline rd77

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 12:59:46 PM »
hmm, GMS is a scrap dealer and the next destination of one of the tugs in India  :(

Offline Robert Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 06:39:04 PM »
Yes Ralph, I realized that but was afraid to say so ..... ::)

Offline Jan Ove

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 08:52:39 AM »
too bad that none of the three ended up as a museums vessel in the Netherlands, at least the FURIE,HUDSON and ELBE are preserved !!
All my photos are

Offline rd77

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 08:41:42 AM »
Don't forget the HOLLAND  :)  We do a pretty decent job at preserving tugs in Holland, despite many setback (think of all that the ELBE has had to go through). Yet it would have been really if one of these three ships had been preserved. Two of them have been around since before I was born (I'm from 1977) and it would be really strange to do without them.

Offline Kai R

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 03:11:56 PM »
hmm, GMS is a scrap dealer and the next destination of one of the tugs in India  :(
but then where would you tow a dead ship to? It doesn

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 10:28:55 PM »
I wonder.
GMS are not just any old backroom cash buyer.  They position themselves as big and different - certainly seen as market leaders.
http://www.gmsinc.net/gms/home.php

The appointment of Diavlos Maritime Co (best known here as operator of PANTADYNAMOS) as managers, and the proper name changes suggest that they might well be used for a while for towing vessels for scrap rather than just making a one-way trip themselves.

But I'm not holding my breath.  The clue may be in the register they are moved to.  Anyone know yet?

Offline Robert Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 11:56:40 PM »
The "Singapore" completed het final tow and is now in Galveston awaiting disposal. Possibly also for GMS ?

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 02:28:11 PM »
Puerto Rico Towing Assists 'Run Out of Gas' Ship

Tugs 'Triton' and 'Honcho' of the Puerto Rico Towing & Barge Co. recently assisted a drifting vessel off the coast of Puerto Rico.

The cargo ship [!!!] Global Destiny, owned and operated by Diavlos Maritime based in Athen, Greece, called for assistance the morning of Saturday, March 16. The vessel reported that it had run out of fuel and was drifting approximately five miles off the coast of Dorado, approximately nine miles north west of San Juan. Puerto Rico.

Towing

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 07:04:10 PM »
GLOBAL DESTINY ex-ROTTERDAM arrived this evening off Cadiz from Chaguaramas.

GLOBAL SUCCESS I ex-SINGAPORE still in Tampico area

Offline Robert Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 08:27:45 PM »
Global Change (ex London) was scrapped in June so GMS seems to live up to it's reputation as a scrap dealer. One down, two to go

>:(
rgds,
Robert.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk