Author Topic: Ship tracking software  (Read 3248 times)

Offline maturelover69

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ship tracking software
« on: August 30, 2012, 10:18:14 AM »
Morning fellow ship lovers!

I currently use the shipfinder app on my iphone in order to track the location of my favourite vessels - it's a great piece of software and I highly recommend it. However, I was very keen to find out what those ships were actually transporting - does anyone know how I can find this out?

Many thanks in advance,

Ulysses

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Ship tracking software
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 11:42:56 AM »
This is almost impossible to find out. There is no requirement for ships to declare via AIS tracking exactly what cargo is being carried, although ships are required to inform VTS/ports of hazardous goods.

Furthermore, whatever cargo is being transported is usually a private matter between the parties involved in shipment. Some bulk cargoes might be publicly reported in fixture lists published by the Baltic Exchange, but this would represent only a small fraction of the global fleet.

Brgds
Phil

Offline Chip Shiplington

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 04:22:44 PM »
Ulysses My Good Man,

It looks like you will just have to use your imagination as to what these ships are transporting.  I am sure you will find this a much more enjoyable endeavour than were you to learn of the actual cargo - much like discovering the secret behind a magic trick! 

As Einstein said: "Imagination is more important than knowledge"

Best,
Chip

:D :D :D

Offline alanp

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 12:03:47 PM »
Just to back up Phil's statement, we loaded a container today with 50 diffrent items of cargo destined for several Gulf Port. So unless it is a Tanker or Bulk Carrier it would be total impossible to declare what is on board a general cargo vessel.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk