Author Topic: Shipspotting Locations (sub) category  (Read 4712 times)

Clydee

Shipspotting Locations (sub) category
« on: August 25, 2012, 06:23:36 AM »

From time to time members planning an excursion use this Forum to request information about shipspotting locations. Other members have been helpful with replies.  It may be useful for the site to make such information readily accessible.

My guidance about Sydney Australia has been well received by many members.  It is very comprehensive because of the large area covered, and because I have developed it gradually over a number of years with feedback from users.  On my Profile is this Signature 

To view some of the shipspotting sites I use, see the listing at http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=510326.

Cedric Hacke recently posted to this Forum some very well presented information about Zeebrugge   See
http://forum.shipspotting.com/index.php?action=profile;u=8477;sa=showPosts

I suggest that members be encouraged to upload photos with description data (including links) about shipspotting locations with which they are familiar.  To be practical they would need a searchable Photo File title. 

The present Site Standard for Harbour Overview Images could include a new statement - something like "Provided they give directions to shipspotting locations which may help members, photos of harbour and other shipspotting locations can be posted to this category with a Photo File name commencing with "Shipspotting location" and followed by the location name.

Alternatively a new Category could be opened in the group Category Site Standards - additional to Site Standards for all photos.  It could have the identification Shipspotting Locations.

What do you think?

Clyde

Offline Nigel Price

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Shipspotting Locations (sub) category
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 07:38:29 AM »
That is a good idea Clyde. Should we try to do this to a standard format ?
Do we write a description, add a photo showing the view, maybe add in a google earth location point for each viewing spot ? Then a method of getting there by public transport ( ferry, train or bus) so that any of our visitors for example who come by cruise ship should  be able to get to several of them easily within a day.  Also we need the website details of the harbour port company where ship movements are listed.

Clydee

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 08:47:46 AM »
Thanks Nigel

I don't think the format needs to be strictly defined.  I have used one that I think would be useful for a visitor to the area.  In content it covers the points you have raised.  See http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=510326

It would be appropriate if the uploaded photo (where the shipspotting location instructions are included in the Description) showed all or part of the area covered.

To make searching for a target location as straightforward as possible the Photo File name should be in a defined format such as commencing with the words Shipspotting Location followed by the name of the location.  It could be that over time a number of members will give advice about one location, and it would be convenient if all the help about that location was revealed by one search

Offline peterredd

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 02:08:31 AM »
Sound like a good idea
Just love ships

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk