Author Topic: MSC Flaminia  (Read 72322 times)

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: MSC Flaminia
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2012, 09:31:36 PM »
Kasco
Lets establish one point first.   Was it the master who grounded the vessel or was it done by STCW certified OOW,s ? (Officer Of the Watch). Nowhere it is established or proven yet that the Master gave the order/instruction to veer of course and ground the ship !!

I pointed one thing out, It seems viewing the AIS track, that after the grounding, done NOT by him but by the OOW that the vessel, if that is the case, that through the maneuvre the capsizing of the vessel was prevented by keeping it on the rocks.
Let me counter ask mr Kasco,
What you as seemigly fully informed interested party, think about that the ship may be came also from a port, and maybe that the Master did not sleep/rest a whole while. Or do you believe that duing the port stay the Master sleeps all the time. I don,t say it is that way, but for such matters also a watch order book exists. In this the Master usually gives clear instructions what to do if he is not on the bridge, i.e. NAVIGATE SAFE,keep sharp look-out, use all means available to establish constant position,etcetcetc, which is usually also defined in the STANDING ORDERS which each OOW signs on his first day on a ship
(Also when in my personal opinion it is rediculous that a MASTER has to tell his OOW,s to navigste the ship in a safe manner,, THATS THEIR DAMN JOB!!!!
That is like telling a bus driver every morning,, by the way,,you have to drive the bus as per traffic regulations !!!!
Reminds me a lot of the Exxon Valdez case in alaska,,where the Master left written instructions to the OOW, which the OOW clearly violated whith the knowledge of the VTS (The OOW asked for permission to divert course from the Coast Station and never changed course back and therefore grounded). The Master gave clear WRITTEN instruction to call him if anything out of the norm happens. The 2nd Mate, holder of a STCW OOW certifiaction, grounded the vessel and the Captain got killed by the media for the 2nd mates no complience of written instructions and the safe navigation rules !!!!
here it seems to be if not the same at least awfully close to such a matter. So far as I know the Master was not on the bridge during the initial grounding, therefore one can conclude that a certified OOW did the grounding and he was not alone on the bridge.

Whatever went wrong is terrible enough, but lets wait what really happened and what instructions/orders were given, hopefully for him, in written.

And ones more Mr Kasco,, I am NOT against AIS,,I am against peoples, special amateurs, who reading into any move they see or seem to see the next catastrophe happening
and as someone above stated already more or less,,,the best and most knowledgable sailors sitting always ashore on their sofa in front of the TV.
So lets the expert find out how far the Master really did wrong or did not, until then may be we should lean back and await the results of the seacourts etc etc involved. But one thing I guarantte now already,,you will NOT see 4 weeks headlines when in the end the Master is aquitted in this case !!!
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Peadar

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2012, 09:47:14 PM »
What's the latest on the MSC Flaminia? Haven't seen or heard anything for a few days. Is she still afloat and burning? ???
Some Empty Chemical Containers being towed ashore at Castletownbere Fishin Port South West Ireland 3 towed in by the Tug Ocean bank on 14th a further 2 yesterday the 17th tug gone back out looking for more , those containers were found 120 miles west of Dursey Head

Offline PHa

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2012, 03:45:14 PM »
Good evening,
Police Office Stade (Polizei-Inspektion Stade) and district attorney of Hamburg (Staatsanwaltschaft) published photo (press release) with a view into the cargo holds with damaged containers at berth of Jade-Weser-Port, Wilhelmshaven. Photo dated 19.9.2012.

http://www.das-floss-der-medusa.de/assets/plugindata/w2dblg27f385f47b1f66b954e7dd7614e0d890/pic1348501200.jpg

Regards Peter 

Offline Northkehdinger

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2012, 05:00:52 PM »
Hello Peter

Thank you very much for posting the Picture !

It shows very well how it looks like at the vessel now !

Very scary ,......

brgds

Offline PHa

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2012, 09:37:40 AM »
Good Morning!
German broadcasting reports, that unloading of containers, damaged by fire, will begin on Friday, the 29th September, 2012.
Regards Peter

Offline Hannes van Rijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/userinfo.php?uid=20488
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2012, 05:50:01 AM »
UNLOADING of boxes from the scorched MSC Flaminia is to begin today in Germany

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk