Author Topic: Polish news site steels photo MSC Flaminia  (Read 5353 times)

Offline Stan Muller

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • My album
Polish news site steels photo MSC Flaminia
« on: July 17, 2012, 07:18:56 PM »
This week I was notified that a major Polish tabloid used my photo of the MSC Flaminia on their website without asking me. I wrote them an e-mail and they removed it without excuses.
They replaced it by anther photo of the MSC Flaminia http://www.fakt.pl/Polacy-ewakuowani-z-plonacego-statku-Ewakuacja-Polakow-z-plonacego-statku,artykuly,168974,1.html
Perhaps it is yours? They shop on Shipspotting without asking kindly for permission.

rgds Stan

Offline Kees Kakebeeke

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Polish news site steels photo MSC Flaminia
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 07:27:46 PM »
Hello Stan,

I undestand your reason, you (or other shipspotters) must give permission to these websites to use these pictures.

But this is also the risk you, me and other peope take when the uploaded pictures on the web. Everyone can use them and can make from your name his of her name.

The internet is free for everyone and must of the people who are on the internet don`t care about "permission"
So maybe if you don`t want that other ones use your pictures don`t upload them just like me.

Brgds, Kees

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 06:27:52 AM »
So maybe if you don`t want that other ones use your pictures don`t upload them just like me.

Or, if you're worried about people using the photographs without permission, just give it to them by releasing the pics under a free licence like Creative Commons...

Offline Fergal Clohessy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 08:30:01 AM »
I think we all understand the risks, but for a major newspaper to use photos without permission.. I don't expect that somehow

Offline polsteam

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://ships.greenet.pl/photo
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 09:58:11 AM »
Risks involved are known to everyone able to use his brain.

But "wise explanations" about risks should not appear almost every time someone complains or points at a particular case of photo stealing.

If they persist to appear - it seems their authors may have more or less hidden (or even more or less non-councious, non-intentional) will to persuade the author complaining about his copyright broken: "better get used to live with thefts or don't post your photos on the Web".
This is, in a way, in some sense a JUSTIFICATION or AFFIRMATION of someone's work stealing.

No, we cannot agree with that (that thefts will be ignored and left without reaction).
Therefore we communicate about instances of copyright breaching. It also goes in line with this website policy.

If you are not concerned that your photo may be used somewhere without permission, if you do not care - than OK. I do not oppose your attitude. These are your photos and this is YOUR decision whether to protect them (and how - by not posting them perhaps) or not, allow for redistribution and republication in commercial (or any at all) media, etc.

But if you see someone complaining about copyright breaching, pointing at some particular media that breaches copyright than please, refrain from "teaching" the author that he "should better get used to living with that (thefts) or stop posting photos on the Net".

The complaining person, whistleblower does the right thing:
he/she warns copyright sensitive photo authors about the particular media which (as he knows by his own experience or knowledge) breaches copyright.
If you do not care - than DO NOT CARE "to the end" and stop teaching everynoe what everyoe knows (that thefts in the Internet DO happen). Just ignore it. Do not lecture people AGAIN that "ship (on a stolen photograph) happens"...

If you are copyright issues sensitive - than this information from whistleblower is useful and appreciated.
Normal person able to distinguish between the good and bad will never accept photo thefts.
Not everyone is obliged to distribute his work on a "free for all" / creative commons / freeware basis EVEN if he likes / wishes to share (by making photos available for viewing) for whatever reason.

If you are ready to give your work free of charge to anyone (without even knowing that your work is used) than OK - it's your right and I do not interfere with it and I do not tell even my opinion (whether you should or not), because it is "your business" and your photographs.
And  please, in turn, ignore "whistleblowing" posts instead of teaching us again and again that "thefts happen"... We all know that.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 10:15:53 AM by polsteam »
despite using "polsteam" for my nick I have NO personal (professional) or business connections with the company of the same name

Offline Fergal Clohessy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 10:21:15 AM »
well said Polsteam :)

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 10:56:35 AM »
Don't get me wrong - copyright is everyone's right and it should always be respected even if the author releases his work under a free licence.

I often bring up Creative Commons in discussions regarding copyright and copyright violations because not everyone is familiar with the concept and many projects (like Wikipedia) would benefit from more freely available content. I'm not saying that everyone should use it, or that anyone would be obliged to use it, but it would be nice if I didn't have to go around and ask permission for every photograph I would like to include in a ship-related article. Also, using CC does not remove all copyright-related issues - quite often users forget to attribute the content to the author, which is required by e.g. CC BY-SA 3.0 that I use for my photographs here in ShipSpotting.com.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk