Author Topic: AIS  (Read 4333 times)

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
AIS
« on: July 17, 2012, 03:32:57 PM »
Hi Guys

My understanding of AIS is that all commercial vessels, that are underway, had to transmit an AIS signal.  If this is the case, how is it that Stena Alexita, which left Esso Fawley around mid-day yesterday has not transmitted a signal since she left - at least not one that is being picked up on Marine Traffic.  How are they getting away with it ?

Allan

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: AIS
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 04:25:54 PM »
Hi Allan,

Yes, the Stena Alexita has not transmitted since 22.24 on the 14th July.  It's true, commercial vessels over a certain size should transmit an AIS signal. However I do not think any ship's personnel have been prosecuted for not transmitting- it's not rigidly enforced. There are clauses which say that AIS signals can be switched off in an emergency, or sometimes the apparatus simply breaks down.

Brgds
Phil

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 04:39:49 PM »
Hi Allan, further to Phil's reply AIS is mandatory to be fitted on vessels over specific size, and whether ocean going or coastal. Note it says fitted. It also says .. International regulations do not prohibit a vessel to depart a port with an inoperative AIS. However, national administrations may require its operation prior to entering port.  If the vessel does not fall under SOLAS, it depends on the regulations of the national maritime administration.

Offline Fergal Clohessy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 04:43:45 PM »
In Ireland a vessel that does not transmit AIS is an automatic target for PSC

Offline Steve Geronazzo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pbase.com/steve911/navires (Collection of best photos)
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 04:50:10 PM »
Hi Fergal,

What is PSC?

Steve
Photo administrator for Great Lakes Bulkers and subcategories.

Offline Riverman2903

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 06:00:20 PM »
I view AIS via shipsais.com and very often a ship will "dissapear" which is a result of being out of range of a scanner/monitoring station? Is that correct? I am looking for Far Sapphire which I think I can see from my window in Brora looking out on the Moray Firth but according to AIS was last reported at 13.52 off the coast near Lossiemouth so has in effect "dissapeared" as it's image is also "greyed out".

Offline N3lsoN

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 08:00:48 PM »
Hi Steve,

PSC = Port State Control.

f.y.i. what Fergal means [imo] is described in the "Marine Notice No. 02 of 2011" from the Department of Transport. The NIR (New Inspection Regime) for PSC regulated under topic "Notification Requirements for Actual Time of Arrival / Actual Time of Departure":

...snip..The NIR also introduces new notification requirements whereby operators, agents and masters of ships  must provide the MSO with the actual time of arrival (ATA) and the actual time of departure (ATD) of ships calling at all ports and anchorages in Ireland. SSI will collect this notification automatically from vessels that are equipped with an approved Automatic Information System (AIS).  Operators, agents or masters of non-AIS equipped vessels (and Port Authorities that have information on the movements of such non AIS vessels into and out of their port limits) are required to provide the MSO with the ATA and ATD information.   Further details on reporting methods for non-AIS equipped vessels are contained in a separate Marine Notice.  Operators, agents or masters of ships that do not notify the ATA or ATD will be subject to prosecution...snip...

regards
N3lson

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 04:06:51 AM »
A regular situation happens down here in Hobart, where ships that are loading cargo that will attract the attention of the Environmental Protesters the ships AIS in not visable from when the ship is about 48 hours out and is not visable again untill well after it has arrived in port.  These cargo's are normaly Timber Veneer, Logs and Woodchips.  I assume the Port Authority request the ship to do that to make it harder for the Environmental Protesters to know when the ship is coming or is here so the ship can complete its cargo operations with out interference.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk