Author Topic: Marine Traffic  (Read 12180 times)

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Marine Traffic
« on: May 02, 2012, 08:29:18 PM »
Hi everyone

I wonder if someone can help me on this.  I use Marinetraffic everyday and until a month or so ago I could use the zoom-in function until the bar at the bottom of the screen read 20m.  A few weeks ago on my main computer I found I could no longer zoom in any further than 200m.  However on my laptop I could still get in to the 20m mark.  Since last week my laptop will now only permit me to zoom in to 200m.    I tested Marinetraffic on my daughters laptop and I could still zoom in to the 20m. mark.  So I am thinking that rather than the site, it is something that has happened on my computers.  Anyone got any ideas ???  Have I hit an odd key somewhere ?

Any help most welcomed

Allan

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
Re: Marine Traffic
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 06:05:32 AM »
Allan,
I suppose the first question to be asked is which browser are you using?
If it is Windows, serves you right! Microsoft has a nasty habit of dumping "updates" on you when you are least expecting it.
I have just tried it from my lap top out here and, like Derek, 5m scale was achievable.
I know Derek, like me, is using Firefox.
Cheers
Kelvin

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 08:09:06 AM »
Hi Guys

I have used Firefox for a long time, and there is a bit of me that seems to recollect a Firefox update was done about the time the Marinetraffic problem started.

Allan

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 11:01:35 AM »
Hi Allan, Kelvin,Derek, not sure if it helps but on desktop yesterday the best scale was 5m/20ft. Today on my laptop and desktop best scale is shown as 5m/10ft. Laptop resolutions  1600x900 and desktop 1680x1050 so resolution I think can be discounted as I've adjusted on both machines from recommended/best to minimal and scale stays the same. On both I'm using Firefox v12 and have had no issues from v10 to v11 to v12.(incidentally Firefox updates versions automatically now as per IE and I've let it update with no interference from me). As a quirk I found if you change from Map to Satellite view the best satellite scale does not always match/ is less than Map view and the scale varies on different parts of the land.Sometimes best is 10m/20 ft and moving to another land area it is 5m/10ft.
In short is it Google mapping setting the scale? Allan have you tried another land mass etc. to see if your best scale achievable alters?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:55:43 AM by ChasB46 »

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 12:12:30 PM »
Hi Chas

It is very strange, if I use Google Chrome it is OK - I can zoom right in.   On Firefox, if I switch from 'map' to 'satellite' I can zoom also right in, but if I then switch from satellite to map, it automatically zooms out to max 200m.   It looks like a problem associated with Firefox and Google maps, si I have no idea how it might be resolved.

cheers

Allan

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 03:39:01 PM »
Hi Allan, I think you might be on the right track(or tack, I know how you love yachty speak). When I go from Map to Satellite I get the reverse action to you, so my money is on Firefox,Google map coding glitches. I guess to resolve is to use Chrome or IE but I'm hooked on Firefox. Chas

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 03:44:32 PM »
Further "Googling" would suggest there has been a problem with  Google maps compatibility with Firefox since v4. Forums suggest its Firefox as there are no issues with IE or Chrome. Chas

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 07:55:58 AM »
Hi Chas

I used MT on 'satellite' yesterday for an hour or so, seemed odd tracking Enforcer approaching the berth when the map showed a large Hapag box boat already there !  But then I changed back from 'sat.' to 'map' and it still worked OK, and continues to do so, even after a nights rest I can zoom in to 5m.  So it looks as if the thing has resolved itself, certainly on my laptop.  Now it's time to go up to my office and see what's happening there !

cheers

Allan

Offline Behram Cooper

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Cargo and Marine Consultant & Surveyor
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 03:45:36 AM »
I don't know if I should be using this thread or open a new thread, but my complaint is with viewing Marine Traffic AIS on my mobile phone. Most of the screen is occupied by the advertisement. I get a very small space to view the actual content of the page and see the traffic.

Just because of that, I got myself a rather big mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy Note). I also use the full screen feature. But not much of an improvement (see attached screendump).

So I must say that this website is not very mobile friendly. Who can I approach to voice my concerns?

Any help appreciated.

Behram.

Offline D.M.G

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 04:15:59 AM »
You can try using their application for android..it's free in the store.

Offline Behram Cooper

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Cargo and Marine Consultant & Surveyor
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 04:24:43 AM »
Thanks Mate,

You are a genius. Problem solved.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:38:55 AM by Behram Cooper »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk