Author Topic: Titanic 2!  (Read 26426 times)

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
Titanic 2!
« on: April 30, 2012, 06:16:06 AM »
Just as we are getting over all the hype over the Titanic, a wealthy nut case has announced he is to have a "21st century version" built.
He has signed a letter of intent with CSJ Jinling shipyard to knock one out for him. He then plans to run it from London to New York in 2016.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17890754
Kelvin

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Titanic 2!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 07:07:03 AM »
I'm a bit sceptical about the ability of the Chinese shipyard to construct a large passenger ship, let alone a luxury liner, while maintaining the same quality as European shipyards. It's already challenging to build a "normal" cruise ship - otherwise the Western shipyards would not be able to compete with Asian builders.

Also, I bet that some people are going to view the "made in China" copy of the Titanic with slight prejudice, especially considering that the original ship constructed by a famous European shipbuilder sank...

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 08:07:29 AM »
Similar porjects have been touted before and have never happened. This one will never get off the ground either.

As Tuomas says, the Chinese have no experience building large passenger ships of any kind and the bloke who is going to own it has no experience in shipowning. let alone the cruise and passenger business. He's a fool.

Moreover, it's not a letter of intent - no deal has been signed. It's a Memorandum of Understanding, which essentially means nothing more than the two parties discussing whether the project is viable

Pie in the sky

Brgds
Phil
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 12:02:29 PM by Phil English »

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 08:59:42 AM »
"His plan to build the Titanic replica was announced on the same day that he revealed plans, in a separate news conference, to contest the next federal election in Queensland." (A quote from the article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17890754)

I think that's the essential sentence in this news. Nothing more than to get publicity for his person in the election...

Brgds
Jens

Offline Dave Forbes

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 10:03:54 AM »
If the ship is going to be an exact replica with state-of-the-art navigation systems , that may be OK. But when did the fella get the original naval architect plans from 1910 as they would have been held by the NI national museum. The power plants will be modern eco-diesels so the some of the four funnels would be dummies , I cannot imagine him paying for the labour intensive coal fired boilers.

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 11:55:39 AM »
Well, as long as the plans exist, you can probably get copies if you ask nicely and leave an open check. However, I'm quite sure that the point of the whole project is to build a copy that looks like the old one from outside and perhaps from passengers' point of view, but is otherwise constructed using modern methods, so perhaps he's okay with just a detailed GA and photographs.

As for technology, I don't think he has any other practical alternatives than diesel engines despite the outdated propulsion arrangement.

edit: On the other hand the size of the ship and especially its engine rooms would allow some rather interesting propulsion arrangements. After all, aiming for a faithful copy, he's not going to convert the machinery space for additional cabins or anything. The triple-expansion steam engines could be replaced with their nearest modern equivalent - low-speed crosshead diesel engines - while the steam turbine kind of resembles an electric motor. This would make the ship quite economical for long voyages while retaining some flexibility of a diesel-electric powertrain and propulsion system built according to the power plant principle. Even the sound would be more authentic.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 04:44:48 PM by Tuomas Romu »

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 06:56:28 PM »
Indeed the original propulsion system "Titanic 1" with all her boilers, steam engines and coal stores  will mean that they will have to do some thinking on weight under the waterline and thus stability. Furthermore since wood is banned from modern ships due to fire-hazzard, I wonder what the interiors will look like
Photo admin for the Passenger Vessels, RO/RO, Ship Interiors and Vehicle Carriers categories

Offline Jimmy Christie

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • Mostly Ships
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 07:25:56 PM »
All this calls to mind an interview Lew Grade gave after he had made his famous turkey "Raise the Titanic".  Some TV interviewer asked him "How much did it cost to make Raise the Titanic?"  He is reputed to have replied "It would have been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!"

If this bozo is serious I think he had better be prepared for a bit of Atlantic lowering.

J

Offline Fergal Clohessy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 11:13:44 AM »
all due respect but if he was a fool he wouldn't be where he is today with a wealth of billions :)

Offline stantheman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 02:27:37 PM »
True sate :Dtemnt.....however, what's that saying? A fool and his money.....?

Offline Patagualino

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 01:19:36 AM »
I note none of the above comments do not mention the very idea of calling it "Titanic" .....whereas in the comments column of the Telegraph (UK) there were several saying it was "insensitive" & some even stronger views as to using the name. Some were convinced it was "bad luck" and the Telegraph had a quick poll gizmo:  "Would you sail on a ship called Titanic, on the basis that lightening etc etc..... "Yes" or "No"......Overwhelmingly 3 to 1 said "Yes"

And although I doubt that it will ever get off the ground(?), at least it would be a lot more pleasant on the eye than many current designs of 'Cruise Ships'

We'll see.
Cheers: Steve.

Clydee

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 01:20:15 AM »
Here are excerpts from a Sydney Morning Herald article at http://www.smh.com.au/business/behind-the-billionaire-blowhard-20120511-1yic8.html?mod=igoogle_news_gadget

WHEN Clive Palmer announced his plans to join with a Chinese shipyard to build a replica of the fabled Titanic, his announcement met with equal parts of excitement and incredulity.
It was classic Clive Palmer: attention-grabbing and more than a little eccentric.
It produced well over 1000 news reports worldwide and resulted in approaches from the BBC, National Geographic and others to document its construction.

Palmer's promise to build the Titanic II proved correct, at least to a point.
China's CSC Jinling Shipyards confirmed it had signed a memorandum of understanding with Palmer's new shipping line, Blue Star.
Even so, said Li Wenbao, an official at the state-owned company: "Details about its budget and design have yet to be decided

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile

Offline dodger

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 11:06:59 PM »
Hello,

At last! what a Fantastic thing that will be if it succeeds,

i have said it for many years as i think it will be a great idea, lets face it most [IMHO] cruise ships today have no character like the old ships, i think the QE2 was as close as a modern ship could be,

I for one will hope it gets built and if can have a touch on the Lottery [UK] i will be first in the queue for a ticket! ;D

Cheers,

Roger.   
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Offline Patagualino

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 12:00:16 AM »
Well Roger the Dodger, I agree too.....lets have a bit of 'retro'......The sandwich boxes they build these days.... (like a multi-layered cake at a Fat Gypsy Wedding)... they barely deserve the title "Ship".
Whilst beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. I can't see what harm it would do to "re-build" the Titanic.
(With higher water-tight Bulkheads of course!)It would be most interesting to see just how popular it would be with the punters......could be booked up-years in advance, such is the attraction & mystique surrounding the Titanic name & history.
Ghoulish? No, I don't think so. There were fundamental flaws in the original & many people died, but I would argue that it would be a fitting tribute to those people; It would show we have not forgotten the tragedy.

Of course, others on this site have pointed out that the guy proposing this is a bit of a maverick & does not (somehow) deserve to be involved with a project such as this with so much passion involved...or that it is merely a publicity stunt.....well, again, if not he, then it would be some other "rich-bloke" with such a dream. (Richard Branson for example?)

Never a "corporation" with shareholder constraints......Let's all dream a bit for heavens sake.
There is enough trouble & strife in the world to depress us all as it is:
So................GO FOR IT CLIVE....would be my view!

As for the capacity of the Chinese to meet such a challenge: Well, much the same was said when Japan decided to take up building cars & ships in a serious way in the 70's, they were mocked & ridiculed, well, he who laughs last....etc....

Seriously, I doubt it will happen, not in my lifetime anyway but, hey, who knows?

Cheers,
Steve.

p.s. Roger, if I win the lottery before you....I'll be sure to look you up & invite you along.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:06:32 PM by Patagualino »
Cheers: Steve.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk