Author Topic: Scale modeling from scratch.  (Read 26849 times)

Offline Nick Karampakakis

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Scale modeling from scratch.
« on: April 11, 2012, 10:33:15 AM »
Hello all!
I recently read some comments posted on another topic about making scale models from scratch. How do you do that? Do you use plastic or wood? I really could use some ideas.

Even though I've built some model kits availlable on the market I'm interested on bulding some models that cannot be found on the market.

Regards Nick!

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Scale modeling from scratch.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 11:07:59 AM »
I guess it depends on modeler himself & the way how he makes his models.  Some can make outstanding models out of wood or plastic (not kits) or metal or whatever that cannot be found in every fine home & made in a normal room (unless you're room is a mess, lol).  Some can make simple "models" out of, say, paper.  Some are jealous/mad that they can't make anything at all.  ::)
This is my "model" of my favourite AHTS Atlantic Eagle (a ship like this) I made in 2006 out of cardboard, paper, some matches & scotch tape. :P   Yeah, looks lame & no where near to the super detailed models professional modelers built out of "nothing", but I guess it was better to make something than have nothing. It floats, has a micro-motor & battery.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:10:30 AM by Dеnis »
Regards,
Denis

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 11:18:38 AM »
Hi Denis!

That is really good! Did you use some kind of blueprints or drawings, or just photos?
Also I'm interested in the technique of making a piece (or many pieces) of cartboard into such a nice model!

Regrads Nick!

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 11:27:35 AM »
I am making models in paper for three years now, each winter two or three.
My personal interest is ro-ro-cargo
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:31:12 AM by Pieter Inpyn »

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 04:40:45 PM »
Pieter and Denis thanks a lot!

I was thinking building the SS France, the 60's oceanliner, but I guess her hull is not so simple for an amateur like me.
I' ll just have to build some easier designs first.

Regards, Nick!

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 04:42:53 PM »

Hello Pieter,

this method sounds very interesting. I used to make paper models, but not good ones, and stopped a while ago.

It would be very nice to see some photos of your  models on this thread here.

Greetings,

Cornelia

I am making models in paper for three years now, each winter two or three.
My personal interest is ro-ro-cargo

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 09:22:23 PM »
Of course you are right, someone must start with something simple, but that "Danio" is so ugly I would not like to have it on my shelf :-) But for training, that makes sense.

One reason why I have stopped building cardboard- and other models from scratch is, that it is VERY difficult to get the hull exact right, without the tears of frames, together with the actual GA plans.

I have already thought of buying a sheet of paper-model, and from that, build one from scratch, so you have the diameter measures too. Never done it, though.

Perhaps, anyone experiences ?

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 06:05:05 AM »
Hello,

as on request some examples of my homemade models:
Finnjet as built in black hull and open upperdeck
Ro-ro-cargo's Beachy Head (in fact my first model) and Superfast Madeira (a fantasy model with the other Superfast-Trasmmed vessels in mind).
Ro-ro-cargo of the famous Balder/Bazias/Dart-series
Because of the plastic cover some views are a bit hazy on the picture.
The actual models look better in real then on the picture.

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 09:32:23 AM »
Hello,

Two more recent made models of coastal ferries, made during winter 2011/2012.
All windows, doors, deckplanking, etc is made in Excell and glued on the model as complete floors and sidewalls.
Shown here are:
Folgefonn: the first real ro-ro-ferry in the Norwegian fiords (real vessel).
Varangerfjord: express-steamer for the Norwagian fiords (fantasy vessel based on similar ones).

Regards, Pieter

Offline bncrew

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 06:54:50 PM »
Hello there, those paper models look insanely good, really great work, over the years I have built a lot of plastic kits, of late I have been working on a scratch build of the Stena Seafarer, it's far from finished but here she is at the moment.

It started as a surplus block of wod from some work I did on my house, te rest is random lollipop sticks and bits of other rubbish wood, like I said it's far from finished but my build log is here, you can see it from it's very start...

http://cebsmodelships.wordpress.com/#

Offline Antonio Alcaraz Arbelo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 07:39:15 PM »
I personally use various combinations, plastics for structures and machinery and wood with polyester resin to the hull.

Offline Flooo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 05:14:31 PM »

Hello to all!

I am new to this forum and crazy for ship models  :) Congrats to all the above sown models! Each of them is a true beauty! Please let me show three of my scratch buids to you (cruise ships MSC Lirica, Melody and Costa Concordia). All of them are in scale 1/700 and made from styrene, balsa wood, brass, paper, etc. I hope you like them!

Should you have any questions regarding my work, please don't hesitate to ask or mail me at [email protected]
thank you,

best regards,

Flo

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 05:57:51 AM »
Hello Flo!

Those are just... perfect! That is what I was talking about when I started this forum.
Building modern (and classic) cruise ships which aren't available on the market.
Thanks very much for posting these pics!
Would you mind answering some questions? Did you use some kind of drawings as a guide or just photos? Are these you first attempts on scratch builds or have you started with something easier? And, finaly, how long does building such a model takes you?

Thanks again! Regards Nick.

Offline Flooo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 04:19:49 PM »

Hi Nick!

Thank you very much for your nice feedback  :)

Theses were my first attempts on scratch building ship models. I had acquired some experience in modelling through kits before but scratch building is quite another league I had to figure out  ;) .... Although they are far from being perfect I am quite happy with the results and with what I have learnt through building them  :)
For construction of my models I use original plans and profiles as far as possible. Everything else comes together with a lot of calculating and studying photos, the most complex part always being the correct hull shape...  ::) Each of them took my one to three months to build.

For a better impression of my work, please take a look at the attached image which shows my current build, MSC Musica, also in 1/700 scale!

best wishes,
Flo

Offline georgios lefkakis

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 02:03:14 AM »
Hello all!
I recently read some comments posted on another topic about making scale models from scratch. How do you do that? Do you use plastic or wood? I really could use some ideas.

Even though I've built some model kits availlable on the market I'm interested on bulding some models that cannot be found on the market.

Regards Nick!

A good way to start is by looking at Modelwarships.com  forum... There is lot of infos of how to get it right... You will need to get General Arragment plans (i can help you to that) lots of photocopies, styrene sheets, rods etc from your local hobby shop.. A good combination of plastic and papper will give you the optimal result... In this scratchbuild model the ship is styrene , the container rows and lettering in cardboard papper, base done with poly mix.. combination of acrylics and enamels provides some good contrasts.. In one pic you can see the procedures of one Car Carrier in the way of build and a cargo almost done.... Good luck

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk